S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Single exit exhaust for AP1

Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Duals sound better and look better. They also provide better low rpm engine trq and response. I am willing to live without the weight savings to keep the other benefits.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1394257813' post='230524 They also provide better low rpm engine trq and response.
[/quote]

Really? When you say better low rpm engine trq how low is the rpm....... during start up?????? LOL
Old 03-10-2014, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Duals sound better and look better. They also provide better low rpm engine trq and response. I am willing to live without the weight savings to keep the other benefits.
surely the "duals sound better and look better" is purely personal preference?

And on what basis do you come up with "better low rpm engine trq and response"?

Surely with it being a 4-cylinder engine a single exit exhaust is a better option because as mentioned will not only save weight (not a great deal admittedly) but also there’s only one exhaust manifold exit. Hence not enough exhaust gases coming out of engine to necessitate a dual exhaust.

I personally believe the dual exhaust is purely for aesthetics. Being a reasonable person though I am willing to be proven wrong.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:02 AM

hks single here, looks nice and clean.

dual to me, my opinion, looks bulky and wasteful, on such a stream lined car.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceski
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1394257813' post='23052468

Surely with it being a 4-cylinder engine a single exit exhaust is a better option because as mentioned will not only save weight (not a great deal admittedly) but also there’s only one exhaust manifold exit. Hence not enough exhaust gases coming out of engine to necessitate a dual exhaust.

I personally believe the dual exhaust is purely for aesthetics. Being a reasonable person though I am willing to be proven wrong.
Most guys that run a single get an oversized single and don’t do any other modifications to support it, what little they may gain in the upper rpm range from the improved flow, hurts them down in the mid/lower range where the exhaust gas pulse width isnt large enough to be as efficient with a larger free flowing pipe there, causing poor scavenging and power drop, where as with a duel the less strait through design creates just enough restriction down low where the smaller gas pulse width can still scavenge. It’s always a trade off with a 4 cylinder with where in the rpm band do you want the car to be most efficient and of course do your other supporting mods help/hurt that range. Everything needs to work together.

4 bangers are very sensitive to exhaust tuning, bigger and straighter isnt always the answer unless your running a turbo, but that’s a whole different game. Typically what is done, and this is true with the stock S2k exhaust, is its designed to be efficient overall, good in the bottom, middle and top end. Can this be improved, absolutely, but typically trading one part of the rpm band for another unless very well executed with supporting mods which most guys don’t do, because they don’t know what they are doing. Looks or sound is all they focus on.

What made me think to chime in this thread initially was I was bored first off lol and a buddy of mine just recently went through this, ran a Berk single for several years with the car tuned, and just recently put his stock dual exhaust back on and noted how much more responsive the car feels on the bottom end driving around town. But he really can’t tell if there is a difference up top or not. It’s the bottom end that lacks so much in this car and where you spend most the time in DD so any changes there are going to be more noticeable. Pick your poison. I chose to run a stock diameter dual exhaust but a more efficient designed one with the typical strait through cans. I feel it’s the best overall way to go. I ran it for years NA and for a few years SC, I make 450whp with it SC now, and around town out of boost it feels great, looks and sounds great. There is enough ricey civics around with big single fart sounding cans, I figured id leave them to those guys to play around with rather then my S, they look like they are having fun
Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Challenge 76TA-R or RM single ftw. I've owned both. Have also heard the S version. RM is the sexiest. It's louder than the R, more high pitch. The R is more deep, but still has a high end rarrrr I kill you tone. It also has more drone, but that's the trade off for being quieter. The TA-S is quieter than the R and RM but I found it too boomy, and not angry enough.

Fwiw, the 76ta series is made using vibrant mufflers. It uses an oval 3" resonator for the mid pipe, and a round 3" muffler for tail section. If you like the sound from YouTube clips, you should be able to replicate it no problem.

P.s. I've heard a lot of exhausts. Singles sound the best by far.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by bruceski' timestamp='1394461329' post='23055055
[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1394257813' post='23052468']

Most guys that run a single get an oversized single and don’t do any other modifications to support it, what little they may gain in the upper rpm range from the improved flow, hurts them down in the mid/lower range where the exhaust gas pulse width isnt large enough to be as efficient with a larger free flowing pipe there, causing poor scavenging and power drop, where as with a duel the less strait through design creates just enough restriction down low where the smaller gas pulse width can still scavenge. It’s always a trade off with a 4 cylinder with where in the rpm band do you want the car to be most efficient and of course do your other supporting mods help/hurt that range. Everything needs to work together.

4 bangers are very sensitive to exhaust tuning, bigger and straighter isnt always the answer unless your running a turbo, but that’s a whole different game. Typically what is done, and this is true with the stock S2k exhaust, is its designed to be efficient overall, good in the bottom, middle and top end. Can this be improved, absolutely, but typically trading one part of the rpm band for another unless very well executed with supporting mods which most guys don’t do, because they don’t know what they are doing. Looks or sound is all they focus on.

What made me think to chime in this thread initially was I was bored first off lol and a buddy of mine just recently went through this, ran a Berk single for several years with the car tuned, and just recently put his stock dual exhaust back on and noted how much more responsive the car feels on the bottom end driving around town. But he really can’t tell if there is a difference up top or not. It’s the bottom end that lacks so much in this car and where you spend most the time in DD so any changes there are going to be more noticeable. Pick your poison. I chose to run a stock diameter dual exhaust but a more efficient designed one with the typical strait through cans. I feel it’s the best overall way to go. I ran it for years NA and for a few years SC, I make 450whp with it SC now, and around town out of boost it feels great, looks and sounds great. There is enough ricey civics around with big single fart sounding cans, I figured id leave them to those guys to play around with rather then my S, they look like they are having fun
[/quote]

The biggest problem is that this debate could go on for a month of Sundays because people will always have opinions and preferences.

I believe the single suits my requirements and tastes.

I do however appreciate the feedback, very informative. Always better to get true life experiences rather than opinion.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hondaddy
custom 3 inch aluminum header back.
details? more pics?
Old 03-11-2014, 06:41 PM

Berks Technology exhaust
Old 03-11-2014, 07:20 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd never go custom on a road going S2000 when there are plenty of off the shelf options. You just have to pay the money.

Nearly all custom exhausts i've seen on the S have been a disaster or gone in the bin.

You won't get better than a T1R 70 EM in my book.

Quick Reply: Single exit exhaust for AP1