S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Skunk2 intake manifold

Old 01-24-2018, 12:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by f20kills
No worries..still useful information So you cant use stock s2000 MAP sensor?
No, not for MAP. I went with an OEM Honda K-series (RSX and/or Accord?) MAP sensor -- had tried Ktuned's 4BAR but it was overkill (not as much useful range within the 5v signal for my 2.4L).

You can definitely re-use the Honda s2000 TPS though.. at least if you tell Ktuned that you need the TB setup for a B-series TPS.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:16 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
This doesn't surprise me much, longer and smaller runners on my car seem to make more and more power on and a more useable power band. I've now tried 3 versions of the xcessive manifold. Just keep going smaller and longer.
This is VERY interesting. Can you elaborate further, maybe post a pic of the manifold in the car? Did you order the different runner lengths and sizes or weld and finish them from parts? Are you using the velocity stacks?
Old 01-25-2018, 07:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
This doesn't surprise me much, longer and smaller runners on my car seem to make more and more power on and a more useable power band. I've now tried 3 versions of the xcessive manifold. Just keep going smaller and longer.

I am interested to know about the excessive manifold as well. How much more power and where are you going smaller with the xcessive? Also, do you have any previous version looking to part with? I am still not believing the power the ultra race gave me was correct cause my engines my issues. I think there's more potential but nothing drastic. But, at the same token, I am ready to slap something else on there and be done with the project (with some given thought).
Old 01-25-2018, 08:07 PM

Not sure if it's been tried or not but has someone tried the skunk2 ultra street for a K. Things I know of are much longer runner length, backwards tb location, smaller plenum and how if installed on to f series it will be curving down towards engine mount a bit. I don't know if it will fit with an adapter since it curves downward. Seems like my engine is needing this.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AP2SSM
Not sure if it's been tried or not but has someone tried the skunk2 ultra street for a K. Things I know of are much longer runner length, backwards tb location, smaller plenum and how if installed on to f series it will be curving down towards engine mount a bit. I don't know if it will fit with an adapter since it curves downward. Seems like my engine is needing this.
AFAIK, street won't fit with adapter (see: here). You'll hit the brake master cylinder et al.

You get your unknown vacuum leak sorted out? Before you invest too much time/money in alternative IM you should really make sure you've got the ultra race properly installed/tuned/etc.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by snitm
AFAIK, street won't fit with adapter (see: here). You'll hit the brake master cylinder et al.

You get your unknown vacuum leak sorted out? Before you invest too much time/money in alternative IM you should really make sure you've got the ultra race properly installed/tuned/etc.
thanks for the link. That’s good info to know right there. I haven’t been home to look at the car since Sunday. I work away from home most of the time which really makes working on the cars difficult. My plan of action is to start it up. Verify fuel pressure, dead times, look for air leaks and maybe go out and buy another 02 sensor if I get no where with it. Maybe I am getting false air fuel readings. .
Old 04-07-2018, 06:16 PM

Here it is.....my review on the skunk2 intake manifold.

I dyno'd my full bolt on S2000 today. The results were surprising to say the least. I finally got all of my S2Ks issues sorted out and put the manifold to the test. The test was on 93 octane gasoline. Engine ignition timing was recalibrated and everything was looking normal. Air temp was 65 degrees F and plenty of sea level pressure in the atmosphere. The engine had to be fully re mapped, so, to me things were looking good. Then came the power runs....After we blew the coolant vent line cap off and sprayed the wall It started to turn for the worse. Just going to jump right into it......the car made just shy under 210 whp......thats right....UNDER 210WHP!!!! We hit the timing threshold on the ecu (don't know that figure). Fuel was good, air was more that sufficient in the manifold. At WOT the value never strayed from -0.3 in/HG. The OEM manifold put down 263WHP on this same dyno with other mods that should've flowed less air. Tuner double checked dyno calibration and whatever he said made sense at the time. I couldn't repeat it. He did lay the graphs over each other on both pulls and they were nearly identical. The saying remains true...bigger is not always better....(insert sad song). I took the car for a test drive and it really feels down on power.....the car sounds freaking amazing....but its all show and no go...I will say that it does feel maybe a bit stronger down low. After 1-2K after vtec it feels as if I am lifting the throttle and it just feels like it would be the intake air has gone stale.

Conclusion- Going to check compression and engine timing. If those check out...the manifold will be taken off and modified OEM will be used. Runner design (esp. diameter) seems to be the culprit. Twice as large than OEM plenum doesn't do a whole lot of justice either.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AP2SSM
Here it is.....my review on the skunk2 intake manifold.

I dyno'd my full bolt on S2000 today. The results were surprising to say the least. I finally got all of my S2Ks issues sorted out and put the manifold to the test. The test was on 93 octane gasoline. Engine ignition timing was recalibrated and everything was looking normal. Air temp was 65 degrees F and plenty of sea level pressure in the atmosphere. The engine had to be fully re mapped, so, to me things were looking good. Then came the power runs....After we blew the coolant vent line cap off and sprayed the wall It started to turn for the worse. Just going to jump right into it......the car made just shy under 210 whp......thats right....UNDER 210WHP!!!! We hit the timing threshold on the ecu (don't know that figure). Fuel was good, air was more that sufficient in the manifold. At WOT the value never strayed from -0.3 in/HG. The OEM manifold put down 263WHP on this same dyno with other mods that should've flowed less air. Tuner double checked dyno calibration and whatever he said made sense at the time. I couldn't repeat it. He did lay the graphs over each other on both pulls and they were nearly identical. The saying remains true...bigger is not always better....(insert sad song). I took the car for a test drive and it really feels down on power.....the car sounds freaking amazing....but its all show and no go...I will say that it does feel maybe a bit stronger down low. After 1-2K after vtec it feels as if I am lifting the throttle and it just feels like it would be the intake air has gone stale.

Conclusion- Going to check compression and engine timing. If those check out...the manifold will be taken off and modified OEM will be used. Runner design (esp. diameter) seems to be the culprit. Twice as large than OEM plenum doesn't do a whole lot of justice either.
Holy shit that sucks man, I was hoping for this to be a success so I can pull the trigger on this project, but looks like I will end up porting the oem manifold., However, do you think you lost power due to the design of your intake pipe to do a 180 degree turn not that far from the throttle body? I feel like it could have lost some velocity with that. Maybe you should try running a true 3.5 inch cold air to see if that works, it definitely gave me big gains with my bc cams over my 4 inch short ram.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:34 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Well thats interesting and disappointing! its too bad about the coolant leak issue possibly tainting things for a clean run without doubts. Shouldn't have really caused any issue, but who knows. Probably good to do the comp/leak down as you mentioned just to pinpoint it is the manifold or not.

You also change your exhaust system too right with the gern pipe? Couple new variables there from your 263whp set up which is great power NA out of an F22. Might have to sell some parts and get back to that and just call it winning.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:55 PM

@khahoang91 yeah I’d hold off until I figure out if my engine is mechanically sound. I do not think the piping design had any influence on the output. if it means anything to you, the air pressure in the manifold was all there at WOT (according to the logs). Would I be incorrect in thinking that there could not be anymore flow if the pressure is atmospheric in the plenum? I’d be all for trying another intake if I had one to test. I am not sure if I have enough 3.5” tubing. I def. don’t have a 3.5 bellmouth.

@s2000junky we did try the gernby first. If all went well the HKS was next in line. It just wasn’t looking like a 50hp gain could be had with the Parts on stand by. Dusappointibg yes...esp. during my test drive. Felt so bad. The s2000 had so much more in it. Those parts will be sold in a heartbeat if I can pin point them to be the problems. I just hope my injectors will work with my s2k Parts. Got any turbo buddies looking for some up? Lol

Quick Reply: Skunk2 intake manifold