S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

skunk2 ultra I/M with Pro-Jay 90mm TB

Old 09-21-2017, 02:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by snitm
I'm using the CNC Speedshop 2.4L stroker kit with AP2 pistons, which results in 12:1 compression.
Ok so I’ll be a little down on power compared to you. But I wanted to stick with stock compression in case I decided to boost later down the road. My goal was always to stay N/A but I like to leave my options open.

Another few questions if you don’t mind. Where did you get your oil jet plugs? Or how did you get your oil jets to clear the pistons and crank?

What size injector are you using? I was going to go with RDX injectors

And do I understand this right? You made more power with the skunk 2 ultra manifold then with ITB’s?
Old 09-21-2017, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
There's no problem passing emission inspection with ITB's just need an EMS with OBD support, but I guess you don't have that?
No unfortunately I do not have OBD support. I’m running an AEM EMS series 2. And I’m honestly not sure I want to invest in another EMS. I have so much money into this as it is. It’s not off the table but again a lot of extra money that I don’t want to spend right now.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajval79
Ok so I’ll be a little down on power compared to you. But I wanted to stick with stock compression in case I decided to boost later down the road. My goal was always to stay N/A but I like to leave my options open.

Another few questions if you don’t mind. Where did you get your oil jet plugs? Or how did you get your oil jets to clear the pistons and crank?

What size injector are you using? I was going to go with RDX injectors

And do I understand this right? You made more power with the skunk 2 ultra manifold then with ITB’s?
I didn't plug the oil jets on my build. My engine builder notched the pistons very slightly to get them to clear the oil jets. I also ceramic coated the AP2 piston domes (using swaintech GoldCoat). Given my previous AP1 engine failed when I was running with oil jets plugged there was no way I was not using oil jets. The ceramic coating on the piston domes was just a little extra insurance.

I'm using 550cc grams injectors. Given you have cams I wouldn't go with the RDX (though they may suffice, I'd just prefer more head-room on duty cycle).

I never tried ITBs. The before vs after dyno curve you see in the previous post I linked to (from another thread) was comparing stock AP1 manifold port-matched to 74mm skunk2 TB vs skunk2 ultra race K-series IM w/ K-tuned 80mm TB.

Last edited by snitm; 09-21-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snitm
BTW, not aware of anyone having actually tested the skunk2 F-series ultra race IM yet. There is a guy on youtube (pretty sure he is on s2ki too) who is sloooooowly building toward skunk2 F-series ultra race with K-tuned TB with cams. Like watching grass grow as he shows how to wire the map sensor, IACV etc. His name is Chase Diaz. He does a great job detailing what he is doing and stuff but I just cannot relate to taking months to get the car on the road. I installed my K-series ultra race, new radium fuel rail and FPR, spliced custom wiring (from K-series to F-series harness), ktuned TB, etc in a single sleepless and intense 48 hours one weekend. Anyway, just looked now and he posted part 13 of his youtube build series (he is working on a custom welded intake.. I just used silicone couplers).

haha yeah that's me. I agree it's like watching grass grow but I watch the spider webs grow inside the jack stands. I work the oilfield and it's busy down here. Work and recording the process doesn't let me work on it like I want to. Then I deal with my civic on top of that...never a dull moment. As far as the op I would agree that 80mm is a great choice. Looks huge in person. I can only imagine the 90mm..what are you guys revving your 2.4's to?
Old 09-25-2017, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by AP2SSM
haha yeah that's me. I agree it's like watching grass grow but I watch the spider webs grow inside the jack stands. I work the oilfield and it's busy down here. Work and recording the process doesn't let me work on it like I want to. Then I deal with my civic on top of that...never a dull moment. As far as the op I would agree that 80mm is a great choice. Looks huge in person. I can only imagine the 90mm..what are you guys revving your 2.4's to?
I can relate to work getting in the way. You've been doing a really solid build! Being in Texas you don't have a hard stop for winter months.. so you'll be able to catch up

I've had my 2.4 tuned to 8200 but in practice I only rev to ~7900 tops (I use a max threshold of 7800 RPM on my Gaugeart, acts as a shift indicator/warning)
Old 09-28-2017, 11:48 AM

Thanks for everyone's input I think I'm going to go with the 80MM just need to decide if I want to send my head out to 4 piston or not. I'm sure it's worth while to send it out but not sure I want to deal with the down time and of course there's the money aspect. But I've gone this far so why not and who wouldn't want a 300 WHP N/A S2000. Then again it's only a street car, I'm not competing on a track. So many things to consider. I can tell you this if I do decide to send my head to 4piston I may just bite the bullet and get the 1mm bigger exhaust valves. What's a couple hundred more when you are spending 1500 right! and also my buddy at 4130 fab is trying to talk me into Injector Dynamics 1050cc injectors. Absolutely overkill but I would have some pretty big fireballs coming out of the tailpipe on 2 step HAHA. otherwise I may just get something ion the 5-600 cc range
Old 09-28-2017, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ajval79
and also my buddy at 4130 fab is trying to talk me into Injector Dynamics 1050cc injectors. Absolutely overkill but I would have some pretty big fireballs coming out of the tailpipe on 2 step HAHA. otherwise I may just get something ion the 5-600 cc range
1050cc is serious overkill. My 550cc grams performance injectors on my 2.4L with upgraded everything (radium fuel rail and FPR, I/H/E) has only peaked out at 66% duty cycle.