S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

To snorkel or not to snorkel

Old 12-09-2014, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To snorkel or not to snorkel

I have been doing a lot of research on the intake options on the s2k. I've owned the car for almost a year and love it but want to make it my S2000. I've been mainly looking at the password jdm intake system as it seems like the best design and seems to claim the most gains. I've read quite a few posts with some fitment issues which isn't a big deal but haven't seen anyone back those numbers of 11+ hp. I'm curious if its mainly the effect of the snorkel ramming air into the intake or just smoother flow or and the bigger airbox. So anyways is it worth getting the snorkel by itself or am I wasting my money. I couldn't make up my mind when password jdm had 200 bucks off on black friday. That sale passed but also didn't want to drop a grand on a cosmetic upgrade. So at the end of the day what's the best bang for the buck. Thanks for any info or numbers to back up my inquiry.

Brandon
Old 12-09-2014, 03:04 PM

I am pondering the same question, I think I am leaning towards this.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/107..._cooling+plate

Cooling plate with connection to intake, no snorkel. The cooling plate still allows the engine to pull ambient air from in front of the radiator. I am leaning in this direction because of the well-known issue with collecting unwanted debris with snorkel.

I don't have an answer for what is the best bang for your buck in under what I am assuming to be the general usage of that phrase however I would say that for N/A the most bang you will get with any buck is going to be a computer/ecu/ems/pcm. On a dyno day I recently attended I noticed most s2k n/a were in the same range, I, I/E, I/E/H all put out similar numbers... That is because until you have the ability to tune the engine you aren't going much out of the aftermarket component (I,E,H, whatever).
Old 12-10-2014, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by DeeKay
I am pondering the same question, I think I am leaning towards this.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/107..._cooling+plate

Cooling plate with connection to intake, no snorkel. The cooling plate still allows the engine to pull ambient air from in front of the radiator. I am leaning in this direction because of the well-known issue with collecting unwanted debris with snorkel.

I don't have an answer for what is the best bang for your buck in under what I am assuming to be the general usage of that phrase however I would say that for N/A the most bang you will get with any buck is going to be a computer/ecu/ems/pcm. On a dyno day I recently attended I noticed most s2k n/a were in the same range, I, I/E, I/E/H all put out similar numbers... That is because until you have the ability to tune the engine you aren't going much out of the aftermarket component (I,E,H, whatever).
I was also looking at that cooling plate its cheaper then spoon and password JDM snorkels. Hmm I haven't heard much on debris issues with the snorkels. I've read allot about possible hydro locking of the engine if driven in rain but my S2K is a weekend warrior not daily driven so I don't really plan on driving in the rain, but for the debris you could put chicken wire or a mess like material over it to reduce debris entering the air box. Not to hard to take air box lid off and inspect periodically for debris as well.

As for the power and bang for buck my plans are exhaust and flashpro and possible header, as well as a tune to get some more power. I'm trying to get some help with the intake or snorkel to see if adding a snorkel to the equation or full password JDM intake will help gain more power. I don't want to drop 1k on the intake when I could of spent 300 to get the similar results. So any info is greatly appreciated.

Brandon
Old 12-10-2014, 05:57 AM

A 3.5 inch custom cold air intake will make more power than any jdm style intake out there for the s2k
Old 12-10-2014, 08:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I would save up the money for some FI
Old 12-10-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dc50818
A 3.5 inch custom cold air intake will make more power than any jdm style intake out there for the s2k
Dyno comparisons?
Old 12-10-2014, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kermdaddy
Personally I would save up the money for some FI
This is a possible route one day.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by dc50818
Know of any DIY's on this subject never really looked into a custom route. Or are you speaking from experience?
Old 12-10-2014, 04:52 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Buy some 3.5" intercooler piping and cut it up to make an intake. Typically you can make 2 from a set of pipes so have a friend go half in on the cost.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:19 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Aem v2. You will still have 700.00 left over from not wasting your money on password jdm yo. Look at power to dollar. With that 700 get a test pipe and spend the rest on cool stickers.

Quick Reply: To snorkel or not to snorkel