S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Swap: K-Series --> S2000

Old 05-31-2016, 10:30 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1464714726' post='23980991
[quote name='Apex1.0' timestamp='1464647926' post='23980307']
Hmmm, what's the downside to a lsx conversion? Weight I would guess, but the k20 must weigh more than the f20 right?

Love the f20, but if you need something that is dead reliable, cheap and makes more than enough power, consider a lsx swap. K20 is nice but not enough of a step up from the f20 to make it worth it. IMO
Looks like a step down to me. Add in the reliability headaches and I'm not sure why anyone would bother. The F series is a unique/specific motor for the s which performs better out of the box, seems a shame to neuter the s because one cant afford a decent low mile used F series to swap in.
Not entirely true. The K is the next gen motor to the F. It has VTC. But it's surprisingly similar under the valve cover. The Non-FRM cylinder walls make it cheaper/easier to deal with piston changes. It also has VTC and (atleast when I did mine) a lot more aftermarket support. The F has better timing chain setup then the K that's for sure, but the way the F's timing chain is done you can't have VTC without heavy modifications. A K24 with very very light mods will out perform an F with light mods. Bascially a VTC change to 50 degrees and the obvious things needed for the swap (intake manifold and exhaust header) will yield you in the 240-250whp range on an otherwise stock motor with 30-40 ft/lbs more tq then a F22. But from there it gets expensive. The K heads don't flow as well as the F head. So a better head and or head porting is needed. The K rods are not going to like 8000rpm plus and neither will the cast pistons so you need rods and pistons to go beyond. The OEM cams are out of steam at 250whp so you need cams, which then means you need valve springs. So 250 is easy... 260 is building a motor. But 260 and 280 or 300 etc are the sameish price.

At the same time the K series has a taller block and that helps the rod ratio a bunch compared to the F24 stroker. 152mm rod vs a 145mm rod is a healthy difference in a good way.
[/quote]

Well thanks for laying it all out there, again my opinion hasn't changed, just more solidified if anything. Sounds like a lot of work to end up with roughly the same performance as a direct F swap and even then it likely wont handle the same level of abuse without getting deep and building the motor. Added trq potential is nice, but have to ask, does it outweigh the compromises...
Old 05-31-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by Mrsideways' timestamp='1464715875' post='23981010
[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1464714726' post='23980991']
[quote name='Apex1.0' timestamp='1464647926' post='23980307']
Hmmm, what's the downside to a lsx conversion? Weight I would guess, but the k20 must weigh more than the f20 right?

Love the f20, but if you need something that is dead reliable, cheap and makes more than enough power, consider a lsx swap. K20 is nice but not enough of a step up from the f20 to make it worth it. IMO
Looks like a step down to me. Add in the reliability headaches and I'm not sure why anyone would bother. The F series is a unique/specific motor for the s which performs better out of the box, seems a shame to neuter the s because one cant afford a decent low mile used F series to swap in.
Not entirely true. The K is the next gen motor to the F. It has VTC. But it's surprisingly similar under the valve cover. The Non-FRM cylinder walls make it cheaper/easier to deal with piston changes. It also has VTC and (atleast when I did mine) a lot more aftermarket support. The F has better timing chain setup then the K that's for sure, but the way the F's timing chain is done you can't have VTC without heavy modifications. A K24 with very very light mods will out perform an F with light mods. Bascially a VTC change to 50 degrees and the obvious things needed for the swap (intake manifold and exhaust header) will yield you in the 240-250whp range on an otherwise stock motor with 30-40 ft/lbs more tq then a F22. But from there it gets expensive. The K heads don't flow as well as the F head. So a better head and or head porting is needed. The K rods are not going to like 8000rpm plus and neither will the cast pistons so you need rods and pistons to go beyond. The OEM cams are out of steam at 250whp so you need cams, which then means you need valve springs. So 250 is easy... 260 is building a motor. But 260 and 280 or 300 etc are the sameish price.

At the same time the K series has a taller block and that helps the rod ratio a bunch compared to the F24 stroker. 152mm rod vs a 145mm rod is a healthy difference in a good way.
[/quote]

Well thanks for laying it all out there, again my opinion hasn't changed, just more solidified if anything. Sounds like a lot of work to end up with roughly the same performance as a direct F swap and even then it likely wont handle the same level of abuse without getting deep and building the motor. Added trq potential is nice, but have to ask, does it outweigh the compromises...
[/quote]

Oh I agree it's a hell of a lot of work for Gaines that are nice and can't be had on the F series N/A but for half the work and the same price... TURBO.

But if you just blew up your F20.... for just a few bucks more you can have an engine that easily makes more power and is a cheap replacement when it dies again. I paid $400 for my last K24. Find an F22 for that.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:21 PM

Just got my Dyno, Made 279whp and 190wtq
Old 05-31-2016, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a K24? K20?
Old 05-31-2016, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Aurex
On a K24? K20?
K24 in an S2000 (K24/TSX head) Motor has 11 pulls on it. I'd say it's a long way from broken in.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:46 PM

Holy torque batman. It's going to be hard to get a f22 to do that!
Old 05-31-2016, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello there fellow C.O.

I don't want to sound offensive (really don't) but how does the answer you quote solidifies your opinion?

It puts down facts and data about the build of the engine, mixed with personal opinion that oppose your previous statement rather strongly.

It's common knowledge that the K - Series responds better to bolt on mods than an F-Series. In many cases it will push even more power than an F-Series with just a few parts.

Not stating that it is a better engine, don't get me confused. The internals on the F-Series can handle far more power than on the K-Series.

That said, if you read my original post carefully i say that i am using my car for track use. And for that use, an engine with more mid range torque and power is far more useable than an engine with high end power alone.

I have gone through a fair bit of tuning on the F-Series so i know what to expect for the money i spend.
And this can be easily achieved for less by installing a K-Series in.

If i wanted maximum power then i wouldn't have spent 5K on my previous 2.2L N/A engine, just to make 290HP and 25kg of torque.
Reliability and useable power is my goal. Which apparently i failed in achieving.

Ideally the plans for my last engine were to get the money to put an HKS Supercharger ontop of the 2.2L forged engine but that plan went down the drain after it went boom.

And to answer your question, a K-Series swapped S2000 would outrun an F-Series putting the same power on most tracks out there.

So for me, i don't feel like it's a compromise in achieving my goal.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurex
There are a few civics that have F series swaps. Check them out for reference since both F and K series are swapped in the Civics.
I don't feel like this would help out in my search as it might be the same engine but it is different application altogether.
The posts on oil starvation which i read in here are my main concern and for that to be answered we have to be talking about the same car with the same orientation in engine install.

Originally Posted by Mccormick009
I have no personal info on this topic but I am very interested in how it works out. I am looking at K24 if and when my f22 should tire out.
I can say that Alex from Ballade Sports has a k24 in an AP2 chassis. I don't have all the details but I believe he has handsome oil issues on track. Whether serious or not I'm not sure but he might be a good resource to check with.
I purchased more of the things for the swap from Ballade so i will send him a message and see what he can tell me.
Thanks for the insight

If I had to do it over again, it would have an LSX or I'd really like to try a 370z swap. But no money and no more time to play with mine. It's going on the dyno in a couple hours. My wife would absolutely love it if I sold it. Issue is with everything else in the car I've got $50k + in it and selling it I'd be lucky to get half that.
I was thinking of a 350Z swap but that seemed like a pain in the ass as far as mounts, gearbox etc so i excluded that option.
I also think that this would be a nice motor for the S.

That is some nice figures you put there man. I hope that this will hold for many kilometres to come. What fuel is this on?
Old 06-01-2016, 03:39 AM

Its not, they are 50lb more. I'm not sure how much more the T56 trans is you would want to swap in with the engine, but still the weight of this swap is centralized in chassis and comparable to the weight of a Turbo or SC set up, so its not really a detriment when you also consider the power increase.
I've heard ~140 for dry weight of the t56.
Either way still not too bad.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Nabu
Originally Posted by Aurex' timestamp='1464584758' post='23979836
There are a few civics that have F series swaps. Check them out for reference since both F and K series are swapped in the Civics.
I don't feel like this would help out in my search as it might be the same engine but it is different application altogether.
The posts on oil starvation which i read in here are my main concern and for that to be answered we have to be talking about the same car with the same orientation in engine install.

Originally Posted by Mccormick009
I have no personal info on this topic but I am very interested in how it works out. I am looking at K24 if and when my f22 should tire out.
I can say that Alex from Ballade Sports has a k24 in an AP2 chassis. I don't have all the details but I believe he has handsome oil issues on track. Whether serious or not I'm not sure but he might be a good resource to check with.
I purchased more of the things for the swap from Ballade so i will send him a message and see what he can tell me.
Thanks for the insight

If I had to do it over again, it would have an LSX or I'd really like to try a 370z swap. But no money and no more time to play with mine. It's going on the dyno in a couple hours. My wife would absolutely love it if I sold it. Issue is with everything else in the car I've got $50k + in it and selling it I'd be lucky to get half that.
I was thinking of a 350Z swap but that seemed like a pain in the ass as far as mounts, gearbox etc so i excluded that option.
I also think that this would be a nice motor for the S.

That is some nice figures you put there man. I hope that this will hold for many kilometres to come. What fuel is this on?
I went E85 on this motor.

Quick Reply: Swap: K-Series --> S2000