S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Tuning my S2K

Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning my S2K

Hi all,

I bought a non-running 2000 S2K about 10 months ago. The kid I got it from had a supercharger on it, that he took off and sold before selling me the car. It had 72,000 miles. He also had a problem with the car only starting and running in "Safe Mode" with one of the cam sensors unplugged. Turns out, the intake camshaft sprocket was 1 tooth off. He had also put on an eBay header and test-pipe (no cat) with stock AP1 exhaust and it still has a Walbro 255 fuel pump in it (from his supercharger days).

Since getting the car, I bought a stock airbox (with a K&N filter) and an eBay Spoon copy fiberglass air snorkel as well as a Magnaflow exhaust system (dual).

This car is a semi-daily driver (I have a Honda Ridgeline pickup) and weekend car. I don't auto-x or race at all.

My question is should I get a tune done to it? This is the only S2K i have only driven, but it just doesn't seem to pull as strong as say a newer RSX Type S or Civic SI (K20). Should I get a VAFC2 or something else, or can I just have the stock ECU modified/tuned from a shop with a dyno? I have an extra ECU that the previous owner threw in with the deal. It's running fine, it doesn't stall or anything or idle roughly, just not sure if it's running as good as it could. It also has the stock clutch still in it (76,000 miles now) and seems ok, but I don't know.

I'm also in Ft. Myers, FL and I don't think there are any shops here locally to take it to.

Thanks,

-Rich
Old 05-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just leave it...
Old 05-03-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

drive another one. if it really is slower and doesn't just feel it, a tune is probably not the only problem.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Id start by throwing away the "ebay header" get a stock one or pick a good one from the official header thread and see how that changes things.

When it comes to tunning, it really depends on how fast you want to be and how much $$$$ you have.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do a compression test & a leak down test. If there is no CEL, these tests will tell you for sure if the motor is healthy.

-Rob
Old 05-04-2010, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ this exactly.

First you need to make sure the motor is in a proper running condition. You said the cam sprocket was off 1 tooth. Did you fix that? If not then the car is def in safe mode still and the ECU is pulling power big time. Do the compression/leakdown test and go from there.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rob.ok,May 4 2010, 04:23 AM
Do a compression test & a leak down test. If there is no CEL, these tests will tell you for sure if the motor is healthy.

-Rob

You should also consider putting it on a dyno. See if there is a local shop that has dyno'ed some other stock S2000's (and still has the dyno files), so you can compare them to yours.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the opinions all.

One of my neighbors actually has a bone-stock 2001 that I can test drive. I asked him last night if he would mind if I took his out for a quick spin sometime soon, and he seemed fine with it, but I haven't yet.

I did a compression test on all the cylinders when I brought it to my friends garage (right when I bought it) and it was fine. I don't remember what the numbers were, but they seemed fine.

Yes, I fixed the camshaft/safe mode problem. The car would only rev to 3000rpm and had to be started without one of the cam sensors plugged in. I towed the car on a flatbed trailer to my friends garage when I bought it and fixed this right away.

Good idea on the dyno, not sure if there is any shops around here that are good at tuning S2K's or not, but I can do some digging. Is the stock ECU "tunable" or do I have to buy some kind of EMS to do any kind of tuning? I don't have plans for big horsepower or spending tons of money, just wondering if it's running as good as it can.

Thanks again,

-Rich
Old 05-04-2010, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few options.

1. VAFC- Cheapest, good for bolts ons
2. Greddy E-Manage- Under the $1k range, piggy back. decent tuning
3. Hondata K-Pro- ~$1700 with sensors, OBDII compatible, awesome capability in the right hands
4. AEM EMS- $1300, full stand alone, if u want it, it can do it.

For your standard I/H/E setup a VAFC should be fine, the are in the $300 range and usually only take an experienced tuner ~30 mins to get you set up and pull a few HP from your mods. I would go this route if you dont plan on getting too serious.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:31 PM

1. compression/leak down test.
2. get oem header
3. get e-manage ultimate and tuning

assuming the engine is healthy, you should pick up about 15hp and 10+ ft/tq with the e-manage ultimate tuned....and with no real down side. definetly worth it, especially on an 00 or 01.

should be around $900 or so for the unit and tuning. i think there is one used for sale around $400 in the FS section though

the em-u makes a huge difference.

Quick Reply: Tuning my S2K