S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

URGE designs Project thread

Old 10-22-2015, 05:26 AM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
I wouldnt say its "missing" but URGE supplied us with a differential mount and extra hanger "in case".
I was reading through Gernbys original thread and he mentioned he choose not use the center hanger because it would interfere with adjustment and it just wasnt needed because the midpipe is so light compared to the oem cat/center setion, it would also pull the pipe closer to tunnel which is the opposite of what we want at that area.

I thought the single system was just fine and sturdy without extra hangers, until I got a vibration. Putting the differential mount on and temporarily mounting something (wire/metal clamp) around the exhaust to pull it away from where it randomly touched was enough to fix the problem.
If you're like me and dont have any idea who to take it to get welded, something like this might be a more permanent solution although i can see some people not needing anything depending on their hangers used.
http://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts...h11s/overview/
We would like to clarify, we only tested the T1R Dual Exhaust as well as the Invidia Q300 to fit the test pipe. We choose offer the T1R Exhausts as we have always been impressed with their Quality, Performance and Value. The URGE Gern Pipe will fit existing T1R Duals and should fit the Q300s as they have a similar exhaust connector location. There are no extra hangers to weld on the Duals and Duals come with 4 T1R adjustable Hanger which are $17 apiece.

As for the Singles, we knew that the would be a demand for the Singles due to weight and pricing. The T1R single exhaust has a completely different connection than the Dual and has a much shorter Mid Pipe which would not leave enough room for the Gern Pipe design. We choose to offer a custom T1R Single that used the passenger side of the Dual jig. It has the same muffler mounts and exhaust connector location, but we had no idea how it would hang. T1R came up with a good idea to use their diff chassis mounts to provide a 3rd hanging point to support and triangulate the muffler system. We notified the single purchasers this would be the case and provided this third optional mount along with 3 T1R adjustable hanger bushings. So far some singles have not needed and some do. Technically the Single Version is a custom version and we are doing what we can to make sure it works for those customer and they get the single option they want.

I hope this clears things up. Moving forward will probably offer the adjustable hanger mount sillyboy suggested so no one has to get a welder.

Also, this is the adjustable hanger mount we need to use. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-hvh13s. It is for 3" piping. 2.5" is too small.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Got my single on. Muffler is not 100% centered. Sits a bit to the right and muffler is tilted a tiny bit counter-clockwise. I already expected something like this would happen since it's a custom setup. Hope T1R can make adjustments on the next batch. If they are able to correct this, I'd buy another axleback if the price is right.

URGE designs Project thread-yp7rmk8.jpg
Old 10-22-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the muffler design looks great when mounted, that off center though is going to kill me.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:16 PM

I will modify the axleback (unless T1R makes a revision and can guarantee perfect fitment) to sit center once I get my ASM -08 wide rear bumper from a local partout.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:12 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Just a heads up guys. If you happen to mess up your v band like i did do not replace with a Vibrant brand. They do not fit.Not even close. Luckily summit racing is local and i could compare clamps after the fact. I got a PPE brand 4" v band it appears to work just fine but i will reorder the supplied v band when they become available

I also picked up the adjustable hanger and got it mounted up but am working on getting the muffler as straight as possible still.
This is not final form but just a mock up to give an idea
2015-10-22_08-14-27 by sillyboybmxer, on Flickr
Old 10-22-2015, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey got the duals installed today and love the sound. Was wondering for you dual guys what rubber hanger positions you guys used. I feel like the canister is showing too much on mine and I have the hangers on the farthest away holes for now just wondering what others were running.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a heads up guys. If you happen to mess up your v band like i did do not replace with a Vibrant brand. They do not fit.Not even close. Luckily summit racing is local and i could compare clamps after the fact. I got a PPE brand 4" v band it appears to work just fine but i will reorder the supplied v band when they become available
Haha, you too huh? Nut seized when removing the V-band, had to cut it off. I actually got the Vibrant to work--just need to run a long stud through it first to spread the V-section out, then was able to use the right nut!
Old 10-23-2015, 02:59 AM

I also picked up the adjustable hanger and got it mounted up but am working on getting the muffler as straight as possible still.
This is not final form but just a mock up to give an idea
How's your muffler sitting? Is it slightly off-center aswell? I'd like to see how the single sits with an AP1 bumper if anyone has pics.

The nut on my v-band seized aswell lol.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:11 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, my muffler sits the right a tad in ap2 hole and muffler is slightly tilted to the left. Its not bad when looking head on with it from behind, only when in the air looking can you tell. Plus my bumper is slightly "modded" from when the previous single wiggled and melted.
2015-10-19_07-48-33 by sillyboybmxer, on Flickr
Old 10-23-2015, 06:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A couple things to note is that vband clamps are very easy to damage, so extreme care must be taken when tightening or loosening the nuts. You should NEVER use a power tool to turn the nut, since the fine thread build up heat too quickly, and will seize in seconds. I've destroyed at least 20 vband clamps even using a 1/4" ratchet, so I've started doing 2 things to mitigate that. First, I apply anti-sieze to the threads. Second, I replace whatever lock-nut that comes with the clamp with 2 regular stainless nuts. Basically, i use the first nut to tighten the clamp, then the second nut to lock the first.

Another note is that the alignment and direction of the muffler is somewhat adjustable by adjusting the "clock" of the front pipe and / or center pipe in relation to the muffler. Basically, if you loosen the 2 bolts in the rear flange just a tiny bit, then loosen the vband enough to rotate each junction, you should be able to improve the muffler alignment.

Quick Reply: URGE designs Project thread