S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

URGE designs Project thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great read through all 18 pages here. Unfortunately I may have missed where a comparison may have been posted. I'm currently running a PLM header to a Berk 63mm HFC to a T1R Sparrow 63mm dual. I'm looking to upgrade the HFC to 70mm and get a T1R 70R-EM single and I found the Gernpipe this afternoon and have been reading all evening. My friend who has a similarly prepped S2000 for STR says my car doesn't pick up in the midrange as quickly as he does (he's running the 70mm T1R setup).

Has there been a pull or dyno comparison between the gernpipe and a typical constant-size 70mm catback? I would be looking at the STR-legal piping. I also really hope the Street Touring class would have eased up on the cat placement ruling by now.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I did test against the berk 3" header-back. The result was equal peak power, but the germ-pipe made more midrange torque.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

A fantastic post guys. Ive been following it for a while. Very detailed work and advice.

Im running an '09 EUDM AP1 (DBW F20C) with PWJDM intake, 70 mm Berk HFC and an Invidia Q300. Im may be running a bit lean at certain points but probably not that critical. When I go Flashpro I'll fit one of these mid pipes and do a tune! Any idea of what level of gains I might expect to achieve?
Old 11-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000_sam
A fantastic post guys. Ive been following it for a while. Very detailed work and advice.

Im running an '09 EUDM AP1 (DBW F20C) with PWJDM intake, 70 mm Berk HFC and an Invidia Q300. Im may be running a bit lean at certain points but probably not that critical. When I go Flashpro I'll fit one of these mid pipes and do a tune! Any idea of what level of gains I might expect to achieve?
Based upon the 2 dynos on our website, with tuning you can expect the following..

~10 HP mid & ~3 up top vs Test Pipe..
~15HP mid & ~5 up top vs HFC..

Again, these can vary based upon your tuning capabilities and limitations of other systems/modifications.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great thread!
Old 11-21-2015, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a back to back comparison, with my '08 tuned with Flashpro. It's uncorrected as the dynamometer weather station reported temperature and humidity changes that were not real.

Blue:
- Custom intake
- PLM header
- Berk 70mm HFC
- T1R-70EM exhaust

Red:
- Custom intake
- PLM header
- STR Urge Gernpipe

Notes:
The car lost power bolting on the Gernpipe, and required ~1.5 degrees addition timing over the prior setup. Previous testing showed timing increases did not improve power.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
Here's a back to back comparison, with my '08 tuned with Flashpro. It's uncorrected as the dynamometer weather station reported temperature and humidity changes that were not real.

Blue:
- Custom intake
- PLM header
- Berk 70mm HFC
- T1R-70EM exhaust

Red:
- Custom intake
- PLM header
- STR Urge Gernpipe

Notes:
The car lost power bolting on the Gernpipe, and required ~1.5 degrees addition timing over the prior setup. Previous testing showed timing increases did not improve power.

Thats a first?
Old 11-21-2015, 01:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
Notes:

I always appreciate dyno comparisons and feedback, even if they aren't positive. However, I must say that the information you've provided doesn't fully support your conclusions. Would you please provide more info about the before and after testing? Were they done within a few hours of each other on the same dyno? Do you know what the climate conditions were for each of the tests? How long did the car sit before pull #22? Do you have datalogs and the dyno files from the pulls? Would you send me the before and after tunes?
Old 11-21-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gernby
I always appreciate dyno comparisons and feedback, even if they aren't positive. However, I must say that the information you've provided doesn't fully support your conclusions.
Just to be clear, that's a tuning note rather than a conclusion; first run with the 70mm tune produced 213.3 hp peak. MBT changed between the exhaust systems.

Were they done within a few hours of each other on the same dyno?
Yes; 100 minutes between the last 70mm system run and the first Gernpipe run. Then another 100 minutes between the first and last Gernpipe runs. We also tried a few intake tube size and length changes, but could find more overall power than the original combination.

Do you know what the climate conditions were for each of the tests?
The dyno weather station reported a 10 degree temperature rise and 10% RH drop between runs 4 & 22. Local weather data shows a small temperature decrease and little/no humidity change. The dyno room/area is fresh air ventilated and was at ambient conditions.

How long did the car sit before pull #22?
~8 minutes after run 21. Run 4 was ~5 minutes after run 3.

Do you have datalogs and the dyno files from the pulls?
I don't have the flashpro datalogs, but have the dyno data.

Would you send me the before and after tunes?
Sure, what's your email address?
Old 11-22-2015, 03:20 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Thats very interesting neurotic, thanks for sharing.
Was it the T1R single system you used?

Quick Reply: URGE designs Project thread