S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

URGE designs Project thread

Old 11-22-2015, 04:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flanders
Thats very interesting neurotic, thanks for sharing.
Was it the T1R single system you used?
The T1R-70EM and T1R Gernpipe muffler section were/are singles.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:56 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The T1R-70EM and T1R Gernpipe muffler section were/are singles.
[/quote]
Did you notice a difference in drone between the two? Another benefit of the gernpipe is supposed to be reduced drone over other after market systems
Old 11-22-2015, 09:37 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought the t1r EM singles could NOT be used with the Midpipe.

I take it you bought the open ended midpipe had to get the axleback muffler welded a bit different to mate up. Possible a kink restricted it more than the full t1r EM system?
Old 11-22-2015, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ES2K
Did you notice a difference in drone between the two? Another benefit of the gernpipe is supposed to be reduced drone over other after market systems
The Urge system is significantly louder from the outside, but about the same volume inside the cabin. Although, the tone and is quite a bit different. The Gernpipe is not boom-y like the 70EM can be at some cruising engine speeds.

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer

I take it you bought the open ended midpipe had to get the axleback muffler welded a bit different to mate up. Possible a kink restricted it more than the full t1r EM system?
These were sold by Urge with dual and single "axle back" muffler sections made by T1R. The Urge single version uses the dual's piping layout (and possibly longer muffler canister) which has tighter bend radii than the single version; this could be contributing to the lack of gains.

T1r-70EM/Berk HFC on the left, Urge STR Gernpipe on the right.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:45 AM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
Originally Posted by ES2K' timestamp='1448214960' post='23809734
The Urge system is significantly louder from the outside, but about the same volume inside the cabin. Although, the tone and is quite a bit different. The Gernpipe is not boom-y like the 70EM can be at some cruising engine speeds.

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer

These were sold by Urge with dual and single "axle back" muffler sections made by T1R. The Urge single version uses the dual's piping layout (and possibly longer muffler canister) which has tighter bend radii than the single version; this could be contributing to the lack of gains.

T1r-70EM/Berk HFC on the left, Urge STR Gernpipe on the right.
Our STR does not have any sound dampening in the mid pipe as it is much narrower than the normal Gern Pipe. This is the only way it would clear the transmission tunnel and meet STR rule of being with in 6" of he OEM cat. The STR was always going to be louder the regular mid pipe, but does still reduce drone.

Compromises to meet STR rule vs Loudness.

PMing you about the tune.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:50 AM

Ahhh ok. I was under the impression you just used the midpipe and the same t1r em muffler off the old system since the red dyno listed "urge str gernpipe" and not full urge system
Old 11-23-2015, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Urge and Gernby, please update this thread once you have looked at the data and tune as this one of the last pieces of my STR build. Thank you.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:36 AM

We know anything about this yet?
Old 11-30-2015, 08:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry for the delayed response. I looked at neurotic's tune and data (Thanks for sharing it!), and think it supports expectations.

I won't disclose info about neurotic's tune without his consent, but it isn't very typical for an S2000. The Dyno plots did look better with SAE correction applied, which I think is the real issue with the test. The Dyno weather station indicated enough of a change in climate to bump the correction factor from 1.01 to 1.02, which is more than enough to indicate gains from the gern-pipe. Whether the Dyno was correct or not is the debate.

That said, Dynos are not perfect, and results will vary from one run to the next even without changing anything. One of the runs actually showed a significant gain across the whole rev range, which was just a fluke.

In short, I think there was either a small gain or no change in peak power, but there was a gain in midrange. That's the whole premise of the gern-pipe. If there is anything to be disappointed about, it's why there wasn't a bigger gain in the midrange. I think the issue with that lies in the tune.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In relation to the tune, was it significantly different than the tunes you provide to people remotely? If so, how are they different (if you are willing to share)? If this is the case, do you think your remote tune would have accomplished more in this case?

Quick Reply: URGE designs Project thread