S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-naturally-aspirated-forum-213/)
-   -   valve replacement (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-naturally-aspirated-forum-213/valve-replacement-1176109/)

S2KiChad 08-04-2017 03:39 AM

valve replacement

didnt know which sub category to post in, mods please move if needed. i need some advice on rebuilding my cylinder head as i dont have any experience on what product to use. some history of the cylinder to the best of my knowledge is that the cylinder head was off a turbo s2000 and upon removal was leaking from most valves via liquid test, overall everything look normal with no visual damage. I sent out my cylinder head to machine shop two weeks ago and just got called back saying most of my exhaust valve were bent. i was hoping to get away with just valve job but shop recommend to replace it because is failed their test. possible warpage from high heat? they offered me oe replacement of company never heard of which sounded iffy. long story short i am looking to replace the valve and narrowed it down to oem which is about 360 shipped. i tired researching and could not find what material was used for oem. another options supertech nitrided valves, valves guides and seal is a little cheaper as pakage over the oem and is forged one piece valve. last question is if i do get the supertech valves would it be compatible with oem valve springs and retainers or is vital to use their spring and retainer kit.

jun11 08-12-2017 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by S2KiChad (Post 24310485)
didnt know which sub category to post in, mods please move if needed. i need some advice on rebuilding my cylinder head as i dont have any experience on what product to use. some history of the cylinder to the best of my knowledge is that the cylinder head was off a turbo s2000 and upon removal was leaking from most valves via liquid test, overall everything look normal with no visual damage. I sent out my cylinder head to machine shop two weeks ago and just got called back saying most of my exhaust valve were bent. i was hoping to get away with just valve job but shop recommend to replace it because is failed their test. possible warpage from high heat? they offered me oe replacement of company never heard of which sounded iffy. long story short i am looking to replace the valve and narrowed it down to oem which is about 360 shipped. i tired researching and could not find what material was used for oem. another options supertech nitrided valves, valves guides and seal is a little cheaper as pakage over the oem and is forged one piece valve. last question is if i do get the supertech valves would it be compatible with oem valve springs and retainers or is vital to use their spring and retainer kit.

I had those valves on my last AP1. I used them with stock springs and the AP2 retainers without issue.
One thing to be aware of is that Honda used 4 very specific angles on the valve seat.