S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Velocity stack AFTER air filter BEFORE throttle body

Old 02-27-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by khahoang91
I would do it. Taken pics of when you do it so I can see how you did it. Aftermarket intake manifolds has velocity stacks on the runners so I wouldn't see why a velocity stack before the throttle body wouldn't work either. At the point you're at with your mods you're gonna need every 1 whp from various places and just watch it add up.
My other problem is finding one now. I've looked. It's hard to find One that will fit inside the chamber.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AP2SSM
My other problem is finding one now. I've looked. It's hard to find One that will fit inside the chamber.
Perhaps a subwoofer port would work?
Old 02-28-2017, 08:25 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

I think it's a terrible idea. You want to get as smooth transition as possible to the throttle body.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
I think it's a terrible idea. You want to get as smooth transition as possible to the throttle body.
That's the point of the velocity stack. Why wouldn't you think air going through a velocity stack at he throttle body be smooth? My understanding of the velocity stack was to smooth the air going through it. It's a theory and if I can find a stack that would work I want to try it. On the other hand I don't want to cut the intake up either. I think I may have to somewhat to get the manifold to couple up with the intake. I am searching every now and then online. It's been busy here at work.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Aurex
Perhaps a subwoofer port would work?
A subwoofer port...hmm. I have to look that one up and see what can be done with it.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:13 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

I can't see how a velocity stack could be installed in any sensible way like that, but I guess I could be misunderstanding what you mean.
How do you connect the VC to the throttle body? What would be connected to the front of the VC? Should it just be sitting free inside the PW chamber?
Old 02-28-2017, 11:50 AM

Ok I'll try and explain my idea....lol

1. Imagine you take the power chamber off the car.
2. I have the ktuned throttle body. So I will have to get the vangen adapter.
3. Find aluminum pipe (mine may have slight bend in pipe.) and have it precisely welded to the vangen fitting.
3.5. You can taper down in pipesize like I want to. I would like 4"-3.5"
4. Source a coupler to fit the pipe on one end and passwordjdm intake chamber on the other end.
5. Slide the coupler all the way to the throttle body side
6. Stick the pipe end side of the piece into the power chamber.
7. HOPEFULLY find a rubber velocity stack or one that willl fit through either end of the chamber and slide it on the pipe (or however it attaches)
8. Install the chamber on car and tighten down the passwordjdm chamber coupler hose clamp and pipe side coupler hose clamps.
9. Tighten the ktuned vangen adapter.
10. You should see very little of the pipe at the throttle body when the system is installed.

I am hopeing the ktuned will support the pipe from moving inside the chamber.
I don't have manifold yet nor am I at home to measure inside the chamber. If someone has one out can get measurements of inside chamber?
thanks my idea so far. Just in my head right now.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:52 AM

I talked to passwordjdm and hey have not tried this. They do not know what it would do. So this seems like it's a first.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

This is what I did with my supercharged V6 and it cut 6 tenths of a second off average over 16 passes

Name:  roundsintake1-1.jpg
Views: 2767
Size:  69.7 KB
This is a 6" o.d. to 3.5" i.d. velocity stack with a short length of 3.5" i.d. pipe to the 3.5" T/B. Super smooth from the V/S to the T/B
Name:  roundsintake2.jpg
Views: 2313
Size:  77.7 KB
At the end of the V/S is a 6" i.d. short radius 90* bend to the filter.
Oh, by the way that 90* bend also fed my 855 c.i. Cummins N14 so it will feed ANY S without restriction.
Yeah I know, overkill but it works and thats all I cared about.

ROD
Old 03-02-2017, 01:05 PM

How simple and so effective on your set up. I wish I could just throw a pipe in there and call it a day. However its hard to let go of my intake Thats the kind of performance I am looking for though. I don't do track times with the car. Its a weekend machine. Where did you get your velocity stack?

Quick Reply: Velocity stack AFTER air filter BEFORE throttle body