S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Velocity stack AFTER air filter BEFORE throttle body

Old 03-02-2017, 02:40 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm about an hour from Turbohoses and have followed some of their builds over the years.
Turbohoses AirRam & Velocity Stacks, Velocity Stack, Air Ram, Intake, Airram Intake, Turbohoses Intake
Cheap they ain't but I don't mind paying for top notch products. Great shop with some wild builds over the years.
I was at their shop when a guy came in after buying a new Mustang, less than 100 miles on it. He wanted a twin turbo set up.
Its fun to see 4 or 5 Noble's at the shop and hear them fire up, can't afford one but sure like seeing and hearing them.

ROD
Old 03-02-2017, 04:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

This is my idea so far. I was able to measure the inside of the passwordjdm chamber and its just big enough to fit a 6" OD bellmouth from Vibrant with an attached 30 or 45 degree pipe to the tb. Right now the only issue is getting the bellmouth inside.

My idea is to take it and get it water jet cut and reassembled inside. I know the clamp end will hold that end together. Just need to add tabs or something to screw it in on the bell part. Not too sure on this part yet. I emailed vibrant to see how tall there bell mouth is but ill expect a response hopefully tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:18 PM

I wanted to go with 3.5" pipe but it won't fit inside the passwordjdm chamber throttle body end. I can't really cut it back either cause it really opens up after the short 3.25 molded part.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:45 PM

Just realized that if i weld the pipe and clamp fittings (which i was planning on doing) i won't be able to stick it through the 3.25 oriface on the chamber...HMMMMMMMM.......
Old 03-02-2017, 10:28 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Nice drawing
I think going up in size at the throttle body (3-3.5") would slow down the air which is bad, normally you would want to do it the other way around.
But it might still be better than going with a smaller TB.
Do you know if your planned intake manifold would accept such a big opening btw? The stock one certainly does not.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:33 AM

Oh ya. The one I have coming will most definitely accept the tb. It's the skunk2. I am a little worried that it may be too large. I think. You're right about the step up in diameter. There was really no way around that issue. Not that I know of at this time anyway. Just glad that it's 3 inch piping to really speed up the air right before the inlet. Maybe the step up will distribute the air higher, lower and side to side throughout the manifold? I don't know lol...
Old 03-03-2017, 05:36 AM

I suppose I can slip fit the piping on the last straight leg. Maybe weld tabs along the pipe length to bolt on a piece of flat bar to support.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Are you using a hump hose on your intake to allow for engine movement? I don't see one in your drawing.

ROD
Old 03-03-2017, 09:24 AM

Hump hose? Is that the same thing as a coupler? If yes then there will be one on the chamber outlet and the pipe going to the vband clamp. Will it eliminate vibration to the pipe probably not...the short ram piece will be around 12-13 inches long I think. I do not have a way to minimize vibraton. That's another reason I was thinking at building a strap to run the length of the pipe to give it some strength. I don't know how heavy the bellmouth is right now. The pipe I am not worried about.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:33 PM

Well my bellmouth came in today. Looks like it should fit inside the 4.5" opening. Next thing to do is wait for my v band clamp to arrive. Then if can be welded. After that, try and get this thing water jet cut in half.

Quick Reply: Velocity stack AFTER air filter BEFORE throttle body