S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Why do I need a test pipe?

Old 01-07-2014, 07:30 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by dantediss
Question .. what about a high flow cat ?? Just curious for emissions. I myself have a test pipe but i havent installed due to debating between the test pipe or a high flow cat
Gernby's extensive testing shows a test pipe is a little better than a hfc, and his unique gernby exhaust better than either by a good margin (he built his exhaust to overcome this harmonic resonance he discovered.)

So if you want the best, get his exhaust. If you are on a budget and don't care about the environment, breaking federal law, and having an exhaust that smells a bit and can leave soot on your bumber, a tp is your choice. If you can't afford the Gernby exhaust, but don't want the compromises of a tp, a hfc is a good choice.

But all of this is only relevant if you get a tune to take advantage of it. Gernby is well respected for his e-tunes. So hfc and a Gernby tune is a good, reasonable cost choice without a lot of compromises.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Question .. what about a high flow cat ?? Just curious for emissions. I myself have a test pipe but i havent installed due to debating between the test pipe or a high flow cat
Gernby's extensive testing shows a test pipe is a little better than a hfc, and his unique gernby exhaust better than either by a good margin (he built his exhaust to overcome this harmonic resonance he discovered.)

So if you want the best, get his exhaust. If you are on a budget and don't care about the environment, breaking federal law, and having an exhaust that smells a bit and can leave soot on your bumber, a tp is your choice. If you can't afford the Gernby exhaust, but don't want the compromises of a tp, a hfc is a good choice.

But all of this is only relevant if you get a tune to take advantage of it. Gernby is well respected for his e-tunes. So hfc and a Gernby tune is a good, reasonable cost choice without a lot of compromises.
Dude, I couldn't have said it better! Thanks!
Old 01-08-2014, 05:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I guess it would be good to point out that my mid-pipes and full systems do have an HFC integrated into the expansion chamber.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hooter

Everyone says a TP smells bad due to incomplete burning of gases. I wonder why exhaust didn't smell that bad before converters ?
Um, they did.

I drove for a lot of years before converters and never thought the smell was offensive. I guess it's a matter of perspective and age ?
Old 01-08-2014, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got this car it already had a CAI, toda cams, greddy e-manage and dyno tune. I just want to lower v-tec. Think I'll just put on a TP and get a re tune.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Well, I guess it would be good to point out that my mid-pipes and full systems do have an HFC integrated into the expansion chamber.
I've been meaning to confirm with you, but the HFC is more than 6" away from the location of the factory converter, right?