S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

i Need to replace my KW V3 coilovers (dilemma)

Old 11-16-2017, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check page 3. i need your opinion on the condition of my brake disc

after many years of using them i got one of my front shocks fail and oil leaking from most sides. i cant revalve them where i live so im going for a full replacement. the dilemma im facing is that im on a tight budget. i dont want to exceed $2000 by any means and my car has now retired from street duty and ill use it solely for track and auto x.

current setup is 8" 17 front wheels and 9" 17 rear wheels and i usually use semi slick rubber 225/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rear.
the only street trips i might take are going to and back from the track. my car is supercharged with 380whp

i was thinking of getting these: Greddy x KW coilovers (9k spring rates square)
GReddy X KW Performance Coilovers - Honda S2000 00-09 Evasive Motorsports

but im afraid they are too street oriented .. can these perform sufficently on the track?

then i bumped into there and they look like a bargain but didnt find any reviews about them: K tuned K2 circuit coilovers

K-Tuned K2 Circuit Coilovers - Honda S2000 AP1/AP2 Evasive Motorsports

they come with pretty high spring rates at 16k all round. but they offer custom spring rates so im initially thinking of getting 12k front and 10k rear.

any input and feedback is really appreciated.

Last edited by suzukablueS2000; 01-05-2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: update
Old 11-16-2017, 05:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd try to wait for black friday to see what prices are on DFVs. Your location shows as kuwait... I've got no idea how that will factor in here.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:00 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by decepticondc5
I'd try to wait for black friday to see what prices are on DFVs. Your location shows as kuwait... I've got no idea how that will factor in here.
These are more street oriented. But you can custom valve them for higher spring rates. With the grip levels the OP should be generating with his tires, id be looking in the 14/16k range if using near factory weight sways. Not sure how much custom valved DFV would be, but am sure more then 2k budget since off the shelf are already pushing it.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by decepticondc5
I order most of my parts from the US.. so i can get blqck Friday pricing.. when will it start?
Old 11-16-2017, 10:49 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Ohlins is always the answer.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
These are more street oriented. But you can custom valve them for higher spring rates. With the grip levels the OP should be generating with his tires, id be looking in the 14/16k range if using near factory weight sways. Not sure how much custom valved DFV would be, but am sure more then 2k budget since off the shelf are already pushing it.
Thats why im inclined into the K2 from k tuned.. they already come with 16k springs and valved for that. And price wise they are cheaper than any other race coilovers.. and non s2k honda guys praise them alot. But i couldn't find any reviews of them on the s2000.. do you think its worth the risk?
Old 11-16-2017, 01:21 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by suzukablueS2000
Thats why im inclined into the K2 from k tuned.. they already come with 16k springs and valved for that. And price wise they are cheaper than any other race coilovers.. and non s2k honda guys praise them alot. But i couldn't find any reviews of them on the s2000.. do you think its worth the risk?
I don't know much about them. Id like to know why they are cheaper. Is it because they are a single adjustable vs dual like the KW? If so, that's not necessary a bad thing as they typically last longer before blowing seals/no maint. But if you have honed in on your set up to really need seperate comp/rebound damping then that's another consideration. You will generally get more quality out of a single adjustable for the money/price point your shopping in if you can go without the added damping feature. Ive got about 150k miles on my buddy club race specs with 14 k rates with no custom valving as they are designed to run up to that from the box. Still no weeping seals. No KW has that record.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I don't know much about them. Id like to know why they are cheaper. Is it because they are a single adjustable vs dual like the KW? If so, that's not necessary a bad thing as they typically last longer before blowing seals/no maint. But if you have honed in on your set up to really need seperate comp/rebound damping then that's another consideration. You will generally get more quality out of a single adjustable for the money/price point your shopping in if you can go without the added damping feature. Ive got about 150k miles on my buddy club race specs with 14 k rates with no custom valving as they are designed to run up to that from the box. Still no weeping seals. No KW has that record.
Well said.. for the time being i think im fine with the single adjustability. I think illgo for the k tuned..

​​​​​​How do u rate your 14k springs? Do you think its fine or would prefer a softer/harder spring? Should i go for equal spring rates fron and rear? Or should i have it stiffer upfront to help keep the rear more stable?
Old 11-16-2017, 04:38 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by suzukablueS2000
Well said.. for the time being i think im fine with the single adjustability. I think illgo for the k tuned..

​​​​​​How do u rate your 14k springs? Do you think its fine or would prefer a softer/harder spring? Should i go for equal spring rates fron and rear? Or should i have it stiffer upfront to help keep the rear more stable?
On a car such as the S with a 50/50 weight distribution, it doesn't make a lot of sense to stagger the bump/spring rates to me, but some do. But rather for tuning lateral traction bias i do it through the sway bars and tire stagger. If the car didn't have sway bars, it would be a little different story. Its also not a bad way to go for sake of tuning simplicity cutting down on the variables. Your suspension tuning should be based on your tire widths front to rear, the compound, the track surface and personal preference. To some degree you will have to experiment and deduce from that. There is no one best set up for the car, when you get past the basic fundamentals of general car tuning. But for what its worth for some reference point, with a set up that works pretty great for me. I have and do run a staggered tire either 255/295 or 275/315 extreme summers/200trw with a factory 00-01 front sway and factory ap2 rear sway with 14k springs all around, single adjustable damping cranked up to 12 clicks out of 15 total and a lot less in rear usually 4-6 clicks above full soft. No wing on my car.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 11-16-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

To be fair, you have an unorthodox setup But yeah, there are a lot of different setups that work.

Quick Reply: i Need to replace my KW V3 coilovers (dilemma)