S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2019 S2K challenge discussion

Old 02-04-2019, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetdill
Hey everybody, Last year was a ton of fun, and I'm really looking forward to this year's schedule!
Now is the time for my annual quandary, to Super mod?! or not to Super mod...
And basically, I can be in mod at just 7.0 pts if I use a 9.0 front wheel, no points for ASM trunk lip, use Level 1 R-compound, ballast 75lbs.
Thing is, I really don't want to drive that car, I want to use 9.5 or 10" wheels, and I want to use A052's or RE71R's, maybe even in 265/35 18. That would put me at 8.5 pts.
I would really like to see mod class go to an 8pt. ceiling, if that happens it's worth it for me to ballast. Otherwise I'm happy to just get creamed again in Supermod...

Oh, and is there a sign up sheet for Round Zero? Last time I missed out on the dyno, and I'm thinking it's probably fairest if the cars that participated the most last year have the highest priority.

And finally, couple questions:
Nankang AR-1 points? 1.0pt?
No aero points for side skirts or rear spats? Is there a reason for this or is it an over-site?

-Dylan
Unless you go forced induction you'll never be able to compete in supermod.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
I disagree with your disagreeing and agree with George... LOL! I stopped going to ACS years ago. ACS is all about power and not very exciting in an S2k.

If you want a fun track with speed that also requires balls, go to Big Willow (WSIR), far more exciting track than ACS in almost all regards. The only thing ACS has going for it is proximity to where most of us in SoCal live.

My SoCal track ranking is:
CVR > BRP > WSIR >/= SOWS > >>ACS

WSIR is clearly a more exciting track than SOWS, but not as enjoyable to me as it should be since I don't have enough seat time there, and I'm finding myself far more risk averse than when I first started tracking 8 years ago... Thus limiting my laptimes and enjoyment. It's all relative and perception based, since I know that both CVR and BRP have high risk areas too, but arguably less so than WSIR or ACS. SOWS actually has really shitty run off too, but the speeds are slow enough that most of the damage will likely only be auto related - with full 6-point, hnr, and rollbar.
I enjoy ACS because of the big braking zone and going flat through oval. I also don't think it's that bad all three braking zones have tons of run off if your brakes failed. There's a lot of time spent in a straight line too which isn't always fun in an s2k but I enjoy it cuz I've never driven anything fast.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:28 PM

I just got my s2000 in November 2018. I was planning on competing in stock class and was using 2018 rules as a guide. I went ahead an purchased Nexen Sur4g's (200tw) in December. Now the 2019 rules are out and it automatically puts me in street class, who do I talk to about an exemption? My next set of tires will comply based on the 2019 rules, I just don't want to spend money on new tires just yet since i have brand new set (i've run 2 track days on these).
Old 02-10-2019, 06:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacobjamz
Unless you go forced induction you'll never be able to compete in supermod.
I hear you. If the mod points cap was 8 we’d need to look at bumping up street class points too.

Just from a cost standpoint the move from street to Mod is already expensive. There are a ton of options that get opened up if mod is 8 points. Power mods for everyone! Also you can fit a SC car in there nicely. I did that last year on zero point tires and no aero.

Id like to see Dylan’s car in Mod with the ballast. That’s a realistic mod car built to the max.

What do do people think street class would look like with 4 points to play with?
Old 02-12-2019, 08:43 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Shedule amended with cancelled round 1 due to ACS/SV scrubbing the event over weather concerns and the push back of round 0.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
Shedule amended with cancelled round 1 due to ACS/SV scrubbing the event over weather concerns and the push back of round 0.

Hey, is the first post here now the official schedule? It doesn't match what's on the Speed Ventures website, and I can't access the Standings spreadsheet which usually has the schedule.

Also any info on the tire deals and prizes for this year? Would love to get back into this if the schedule works out!

Edit: Actually I can access the Standings sheet in your signature, but this is different from the link at bit.ly/S2K-STANDINGS, and it also doesn't match the schedule above... which one should I go by?
Old 03-01-2019, 06:27 PM

Received 557 Likes on 389 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/S2KChallenge/

Although they did scrap the ACS event in Feb. Sunday 3/3 at BW is the first event.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:34 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Is it hot as balls at BW in September? I'd like to make a trip up there this year.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:44 AM

Received 557 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
Is it hot as balls at BW in September? I'd like to make a trip up there this year.
Usually 80F-90F when I've gone at that time.

September BW is normally a wild card event running CCW with a "surprise" TBD configuration. If you want to run the infamous BW CW13 configuration that is run at Global Time Attack or Super Lap Battle, go to the October event instead.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:07 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Thank you, that is helpful. October it is

Quick Reply: 2019 S2K challenge discussion