S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2nd Track Day this weekend

Old 09-07-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by treimche
Yes I'm going to Proving Grounds. I went to the previous one this summer and it was great. I didn't think the road course was too busy at all. There's a LOT more people there for drifting, auto-x, and drag racing. I don't have any other track days to compare to, but it was easily good enough to warrant going to the second event. If you do go and camp at the track, be prepared for lots of shenanigans and kids partying.
Good to know that the road course is pretty open. That makes sense.

I don't want to derail the topic of this thread, so my $.02 for a cheap and very effective mod that will help at the track is a brake master cylinder brace. If you are/decide to run a front strut bar, LHT Performance makes a master cylinder brace that is compatible with most.

A less cost effective and something that probably won't make a dent in lap times is a dual catch can setup. This is mainly for peace of mind and a quick way to monitor the health of your engine as well as potentially a need for a baffled oil pan. There's plenty of companies that make these, but I've run catch cans, and other items, from Radium Engineering on my turbo Lotus Elise and the quality and attention to detail on their products is second to none. It's actually one of the first mods I purchased for my recent re-entry into S2000's.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

The catch can just keeps you from getting black flagged, it tells you nothing of the health of your engine or the need for a baffle (one is a good idea btw). If you have an AP1 you will get black flagged on the right track though.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

So the car likes to oversteer a bit which is controllable but if I could get it to oversteer less that would be awesome. Tires are 32 psi hot in front and 26 psi hot in rear. Suggestions on which way to go?
Old 09-09-2017, 01:35 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

So the car likes to oversteer a bit which is controllable but if I could get it to oversteer less that would be awesome. Tires are 32 psi hot in front and 26 psi hot in rear. Suggestions on which way to go?
Tire pressure is way too low in the rear. Try 32-33psi hot. Tire pyrometer would be the best to determine the right pressure, but the old school chalk method works pretty well and costs practically nothing. Stiffer front sway bar will help with the oversteer issue. When you say g-force tires, which ones are you talking about? There are multiple tires labeled as g-force- ranging from their rival S (which is a great tire) to their a/s tire (definitely not for tracking).
Old 09-11-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bdo
You have one track day so far?
Drive it as it is! Throwing money and time at mods will maybe take tenths off your lap times. Improving your driving will take off seconds or even tens of seconds. Get 5-10 track days under your belt before you start messing with the car.
That said, there is some common sense stuff... You'll soon want better brake pads that won't as easily fade or cook. When your tires are done, upgrade to RS-4's or something in that class that will handle track abuse. If the car is doing something you don't like, or wearing tires badly, change alignment. Suspension bushings etc, as you mentioned, would probably be a good idea, but that's basically maintenance, not a go-fast mod.
I didn't change any parts except track pads and brake ducts on my MY00 for the first 2 years and ~20 track days. I did max out the front camber and switch to AP2V1 wheels and Hankook RS-4 tires. Get to know the car and improve your driving skills - it's the best money and time you can spend at this stage.

This last July I upgraded to a set of Ohlins from SakeBomb Garage with their square spring setup and couldn't be happier. But if I had done that straight away, I would not have appreciated the improvement it made and would have lacked the experience to set them up properly, especially the adjustable damping.

Spend your money on track days for at least the next year or two. By then you'll be in a better position to know what you want to improve and be able to make more informed decisions.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
Tire pressure is way too low in the rear. Try 32-33psi hot. Tire pyrometer would be the best to determine the right pressure, but the old school chalk method works pretty well and costs practically nothing. Stiffer front sway bar will help with the oversteer issue. When you say g-force tires, which ones are you talking about? There are multiple tires labeled as g-force- ranging from their rival S (which is a great tire) to their a/s tire (definitely not for tracking).
These tires on the car are G force Rivals, and they're over 4 years old. The previous owner did some track days with the car too, so I don't really know how many times these tires have been used on the track. Definitely looking into new tires for next spring.

Increasing rear tire pressure and driving smoother greatly reduced the oversteer problems I was having. Thanks for the suggestion. Once the track warmed up in the afternoon it felt like grip was a lot better also.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:35 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

My first 2 events were on the original Rivals. Didn't care too much for them. They did handle heat well and maintained their characteristics for most of the session. They just always seemed like they were on the verge of breaking loose. I could take a fairly tight corner at 45 or 60, and the rear would start to kick out the same at either speed. They really messed with my confidence. Went to re71-r and it was a world of difference. So much more grip, consistency, and confidence.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:01 AM

So the RE71-R and the RS-4 seem to be recommended by many. Are there other tires that are comparable? Maybe I'll actually pay attention to the tires a little more at the SEMA show this year.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

So the RE71-R and the RS-4 seem to be recommended by many. Are there other tires that are comparable? Maybe I'll actually pay attention to the tires a little more at the SEMA show this year.
Those two bracket the 200 treadwear tires on the track with the RE71 considered by many to have the most grip, but shortest life as well as sensitivity to losing grip due to heat cycles before the tread is worn. The RS-4 trades some grip for durability and consistency when hot and after many heat cycles. Even though you don't seem to like the set of Rivals you currently have, they usually have good grip as well as longevity, but are typically at the high end of price so not as good of a value as the RS-4.

But I'm going to (again) caution you about worrying too much about tires, parts upgrades etc. There's nothing wrong with improving the performance of your car, but at this stage, adding grip is just going to mask the weaknesses and defects in your skills. And you'll have to go faster to find those weaknesses and practice fixing them, which means everything is happening faster which makes it harder to learn. I hear from friends who have done the professional schools (e.g. Bondurant) that they typically start out in light single seater formula ford type cars with skinny tires. You need to learn car control and that's easier and safer at slower speeds. It's not till the second or third day of the school that they let you get into a higher power car such as Mustang or Corvette.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:47 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Tyres
Alignment
IR temp gun (to help perfect alignment settings)
lap timer + GPS amplifier
serious-racing.com