S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   6-point Harness vs. 3-point OEM on the Street (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/6-point-harness-vs-3-point-oem-street-1181345/)

Bullwings 01-26-2018 09:25 PM

6-point Harness vs. 3-point OEM on the Street

So, I drive my car to and from the track.

I have both the OEM 3point and a 6-point harness installed. I also have the OEM wheel and SRS still active.

I have an RSG bar and also have an HNR device.

The question is, what's safer to use on the street? If I use the 6point on the street, I won't be wearing my helmet or the HNR.

If I use the OEM 3-point, then my head (although my seat is pushed farther forward) risks contact with the bar w/o a helmet. I did put SFI padding on the bar.

So, what do you run when driving your track car on the street?

Oh, and no - i'm not going to tow my car.

bgoetz 01-27-2018 04:57 AM

I think general consensus is a harness and no HANS is a really bad idea, so most run OEM 3pt

Kenny_Stang 01-27-2018 10:29 AM

OEM on the street, harnesses (with HNR) on the track.

Chibo 01-27-2018 10:45 AM

I use the OEM belt when I'm putting miles on the car or driving to the track, then 6pt with HNR at the track.
I don't think the OEM belt is really safe, but it is what it is. Do as I say, not as I do.

Bullwings 01-27-2018 08:43 PM

So, what would you use for a canyon drive?

3-point OEM or look silly and use your 6-point with HNR and helmet once arriving at your location? granted, a canyon drive is driving at 4-5/10ths at most, versus track driving which is 8-10/10ths

usafstud 01-28-2018 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwings (Post 24412524)
So, what would you use for a canyon drive?

3-point OEM or look silly and use your 6-point with HNR and helmet once arriving at your location? granted, a canyon drive is driving at 4-5/10ths at most, versus track driving which is 8-10/10ths

You shouldn't be driving fast enough on the canyon to worry. If I was a cop, if I saw you driving with a 6pt w/helmet and HNR on canyon, you are getting a ticket.

miamirice 01-28-2018 07:06 AM

Do you have the PROPER roll bar pad material in stalled where your head would strike it? If not it needs to be done.

robrob 01-28-2018 08:16 AM

What's the reason for no 6-point during street driving and no helmet without a Hanns? Would you really rather crash with a 3-point vs 6-point? Or with a helmet but no Hanns vs no helmet at all?

anorexicpoodle 01-28-2018 09:22 AM

I have removed every trace of the OEM belt and reel system and now exclusively use a 6pt. My seat is fixed mounted and i have miles of clearance to the bar. My car is also 90% track car, but is still driven to the track.

I dont consider it any riskier than driving around in a pre-airbag era car which nobody seems to balk at. Expressed statistically, the hours per year spent in the car on a highway in this condition is less likely to injure me than if i had to cross a street once per day to get lunch in a city.

As for canyon driving, i feel like being better afixed to the car is always best.

Bullwings 01-28-2018 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by miamirice (Post 24412579)
Do you have the PROPER roll bar pad material in stalled where your head would strike it? If not it needs to be done.

Originally Posted by Bullwings (Post 24412284)

If I use the OEM 3-point, then my head (although my seat is pushed farther forward) risks contact with the bar w/o a helmet. I did put SFI padding on the bar.

Yes... as stated above. But, SFI padding is designed for helmets making contact with it. To my hands, and test slapping it on my head, it feels as hard has the bar, minus the inertia carried by the weight of slapping a metal pole against my head.

Originally Posted by robrob (Post 24412600)
What's the reason for no 6-point during street driving and no helmet without a Hanns? Would you really rather crash with a 3-point vs 6-point? Or with a helmet but no Hanns vs no helmet at all?

The main question is, does the 6-point (without helmet - thus less weight/mass on my neck) significantly increase the risk of a neck injury/basal skull fracture? There will obviously be less give to the 6-point versus the 3-point as it will hold me fixed and in place.

To answer your 2nd question, I'm not really sure what I'd rather crash with, which is why i'm asking this question.

In all scenarios, I'd rather crash with a 6-point + helmet + HNR, which is what i'll be using on the track. On the street, that's not really an option (especially not for a 170 mile drive to and from the track). So, the question is 6-point no-helmet vs. 3-point no helmet for street use.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion and opinions everyone.

I'll probably just use the 6-point harness. And yes, I agree that crashing in a 70's Datsun 510 or 240z or any pre-90's car in general (air cooled Porsches, classic Ferraris, e30 bmws, alfa romeos, etc.) seems to be far worse.