S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Another brake pad suggestion post.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:16 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

I agree that you probably are ready to go to a real track pad. But consider adding ducting as well. When I first installed it, there was one track day where the hose became pinched on one side up front and restricted the airflow. I was surprised how much difference in pad wear there was - that side had worn significantly more. I didn't measure but it was obvious just from looking at the pads as I took them off - even before I put them side by side.

I'll go out on a limb and say that ducting gives a greater ROI than any other investment you can make for brakes.
The following users liked this post:
freq (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 05:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
I agree that you probably are ready to go to a real track pad. But consider adding ducting as well. When I first installed it, there was one track day where the hose became pinched on one side up front and restricted the airflow. I was surprised how much difference in pad wear there was - that side had worn significantly more. I didn't measure but it was obvious just from looking at the pads as I took them off - even before I put them side by side.

I'll go out on a limb and say that ducting gives a greater ROI than any other investment you can make for brakes.
fronts have ducting already and i agree how much difference they make. the rears are noticeably hotter after a session and the wear was more compared to the fronts. it made me question if i had an issue with the rear calipers! maybe rear ducting should be next!
Old 05-21-2018, 10:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Power Stop now has a "Track Day Spec" pad which can be bought through Rock Auto for about $73 shipped for a set of fronts.

I haven't tried mine yet but the packaging is gorgeous.

I bought them just to try out at my last event next month. If they last as long and work as well as the CarboTecs XP10s I've been using, I'll be amazed. My expectations are low.
Did you end up giving these pads a try last year? Thoughts?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff
I've been running the Powerstop Track Day pads for my last 3 sets, and I really like them. They perform as well as Carbotech/GLoc XP10/R10 pads at half the cost. I recommend them to anyone and everyone, if you want to get a great price hit up Will Long at THMotorsports, he has the best price on these.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:16 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

I'm on my second full set of PowerStop PSA 829 / 537s pads, although this time I have ducting on the fronts, rear ducting to come.

As said, they work VERY well. And, at ~$71 / axle (shop around.....) the price can't be beat.

I wanted to rebuild my current front calipers so I bought a set of the powdercoated PowerStop front calipers and they coating has held up VERY well over the 4 days I've used them. The red powdercoat is a bit much visually but I had to try them. Caveat emptor, while they are remanufactured, they were NOT Nissin brand calipers. I reached out to PowerStop and they did offer to replace mine with a Nissin brand. YMMV.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
I've been running the Powerstop Track Day pads for my last 3 sets, and I really like them. They perform as well as Carbotech/GLoc XP10/R10 pads at half the cost. I recommend them to anyone and everyone, if you want to get a great price hit up Will Long at THMotorsports, he has the best price on these.
Originally Posted by freq
I'm on my second full set of PowerStop PSA 829 / 537s pads, although this time I have ducting on the fronts, rear ducting to come.

As said, they work VERY well. And, at ~$71 / axle (shop around.....) the price can't be beat.

I wanted to rebuild my current front calipers so I bought a set of the powdercoated PowerStop front calipers and they coating has held up VERY well over the 4 days I've used them. The red powdercoat is a bit much visually but I had to try them. Caveat emptor, while they are remanufactured, they were NOT Nissin brand calipers. I reached out to PowerStop and they did offer to replace mine with a Nissin brand. YMMV.
Thank you guys. I'm not a huge fan of the XP10s (current setup) but for the cost of these pads, I'm definitely going to give these PS pads a try.

Nice to see real track use feedback on these for confirmation that they work, considering most other pads of comparison are double the cost or more, which naturally would leave some doubt.
HawkeyeGeoff (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 05:22 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I just got done with my first track day this year @ Gingerman with the Powerstop Track Day PSA pads; I will say they performed just as well as Project MU Club Racers. Zero fade on a fairly high speed track....very predictable. 100% would recommend these at the cost.

I also have front brake ducts.

They dust like crazy but that is kind of to be expected; I've also had no issue on the street with them even at ~50°F.
Kenny_Stang (05-25-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 06:41 AM

Thank you guys. I'm not a huge fan of the XP10s (current setup) but for the cost of these pads, I'm definitely going to give these PS pads a try.

Nice to see real track use feedback on these for confirmation that they work, considering most other pads of comparison are double the cost or more, which naturally would leave some doubt.
Well, I finally got to try out these pads yesterday and they were fantastic!! Joe - thanks for bringing these to attention as in my opinion and experience, they definitely outperformed the Carbotech XP10/8 setup and brought back my braking confidence.

These pads have great initial bite (which I like, I know some don't like this), never faded, and most important, were consistent through (3) 30-min sessions (90+ degF day). For comparison, the Carbotechs did not have an initial bite, they had progressive stopping power throughout the braking zone without any pedal modulation (I like linear relationship between pedal pressure and stopping power), and they were not consistent at all. I would go lap after lap with consistent braking and then randomly on any given turn (not always the same one) they would fade which would cause me to go off track multiple times - not a very confidence inspiring characteristic. Note - I do have and did have (with the Carbotechs) brake cooling ducting front and rear.

Obviously, this is my observation and review and fully understand that someone else may not have the same experience (with either brake setup).

For the performance and price, I will be investing in another set of these PowerStop pads.
The following 4 users liked this post by 8kGoodENuff:
DanielB (08-06-2018), freq (08-06-2018), HawkeyeGeoff (08-06-2018), Kenny_Stang (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 08:04 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Now come run some NASA events.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

I run DTC60s up front and paired them with rear Powerstop track pads. I went through the rears down to the metal in a 2-day weekend. This is with full ducting. I did like them though. Has anyone else had the same experience?

With Stoptech rear pads, I have plenty of life left after a similar weekend.

Quick Reply: Another brake pad suggestion post.