S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Any feedback on AST 4150's on track? Baseline settings?

Old 10-03-2013, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any feedback on AST 4150's on track? Baseline settings?

How do guys that have been running the AST 4150's like them? Pros? Cons? What are your settings on the shocks (please include any relevant mods that may affect your compression/rebound settings such as FSB, spring rates front/rear, aero, etc.) Thanks!
Old 10-03-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

i would like some info too!
we know there are 9 or 10 sets here in the states already!(why its taking so long for more is beyond me!)
Old 10-04-2013, 05:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saner FSB, 550# spring F/R

I run Front 9 clicks from soft (of 12)
Rear 3-4 clicks from soft

I had OEM and before I got the ASTs figured out I had one track day on these, with the car too low, the settings backward (Front soft and Rear stiff) and could not get braking done as the weight transfer was horrible.

Once I got some help from prior AST S2k owners, it was easier to figure out.
Also got it corner balanced so it would have a reasonable starting point.

I really like them, I thnk my only change will be to stagger the springs
Old 10-04-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not really qualified to give feedback as I am a track n00b still. I can say I like mine but I have no basis for comparison except stock suspension.

My setup:

700 front / 550 rear
front 2 clicks from full stiff
rear 3 clicks from full stiff
MY00 front sway, MY02 rear sway
13.5" ride height
corner balanced
2725 lbs with driver
No aero

Those were my initial settings and the car handles very well at my local track (High Plains Raceway). Although it is a bit bouncy in sections (need more rebound?)

Looking forward to responses from those with more suspension knowledge.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like them a lot.

I had KW V3s before and I'd say its very noticeable improvement. These shocks ability to absorb large bumps yet still provide the response like more conventional shocks on even surface is pretty amazing.

I have roughly 750 lb/in front and rear on my car (I say roughly because I spec'd them in a metric size which I don't remember off hand)and was until recently using the gendron front sway. The car also has a wing and front splitter.

My only complaint is that I wish the settings were just a LITTLE bit stiffer. I find I have to set the shocks at around 8 or 9 clicks to get them where I want.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow36
I like them a lot.

I had KW V3s before and I'd say its very noticeable improvement. These shocks ability to absorb large bumps yet still provide the response like more conventional shocks on even surface is pretty amazing.

I have roughly 750 lb/in front and rear on my car (I say roughly because I spec'd them in a metric size which I don't remember off hand)and was until recently using the gendron front sway. The car also has a wing and front splitter.

My only complaint is that I wish the settings were just a LITTLE bit stiffer. I find I have to set the shocks at around 8 or 9 clicks to get them where I want.
Would you say a slightly stiffer spring would help or do you wish they had more adjustability?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a feeling they may be a little undervalved if that's what the feedback on them is implying. Stiffer springs will not help if the valving cannot support the higher rates.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:51 PM

I did only one event with them and I also felt they are a little underdamped but overall I'm happy with them. They felt much better than my KW ClubSports over bumps in corners.

Here is my setup:

Front spring ratio: 700lb
Rear spring ratio: 650lb
APR GTC-200 aero
255/40/17 BFG Rivals
Stock MY02 sway bars front and rear.

On a bumpy track I found that 3 clicks from full stiff front and rear worked best. I'm not sure if the damping will be enough for smoother tracks
Old 10-07-2013, 05:52 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

WynnS- just to clarify, I'm using mine In a track application, not autocross. I'm fairly certain this is what you're contemplating too. I just want to clarify, in case someone in the future actually searches for this info (I know, a lot to ask).

My setup:

Springs 700f/650r
Sway bars stock 06 AP2
Aero: Voltex 7 rear wing, stock front (wasp splitter to be installed tomorrow)
255 RE-11a, square. 225 A6's square next year

Me:

Not as experienced as some of you. Just finished all levels of hpde with NASA, and now have my TT license.

First a small negative. I have the first set of these delivered. As such, I've found the spacer directly under the nut in the rear is too big. It prevents the nylock from fully engaging the threads. My friend John (usually never on the forums) also has an early set. He runs NASA hpde, and has the exact same issue. I've found grinding approximately 1/8" from the spacer solved the issue. They stay nice and tight now.

Overall my impressions are very positive. Before running these, I had Challenge Comp + coils. The challenge coils were very good, but the AST's are better. Mostly they are smoother. They seem to react to suspension disturbance (bumps, intentional curbs, etc) in a manner that provides the least chassis disturbance possible. At the same time there is not excessive body roll, and they return the tire promptly to the pavement.

Adjustments: I'm running 2 clicks off full stiff in the front, 4 clicks off full stiff in the rear. I will say that I wish overall, they were "stiffer", or that the stiffness I've achieved was more at the middle settings. The settings near soft, are very soft, and generally not track appropriate. However, existing in the Midwest, those soft settings do come in handy in the rain.

Additionally, I can't tell much difference between the settings in the softer range. I can turn it 2-3 clicks off full soft, and dont really notice. however, once you get up to about 5 clicks off full stiff, you can definitely feel a difference between each click. For me, thats about where these come alive. That sensitivity has allowed me to set the car up very neutral, and to account for things like adjustment in wing angle. This is a sensitivity level I never found with my previous coils.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by ddess
Originally Posted by shadow36' timestamp='1380958502' post='22812279
I like them a lot.

Would you say a slightly stiffer spring would help or do you wish they had more adjustability?
Yah I wish there was a little more damping force adjustability. I mean, I don't have them maxxed out or anything so the range is fine, I just personally wish the desired rate was more in the "middle" of the range so that there is more room both stiffer and softer to play with.

Quick Reply: Any feedback on AST 4150's on track? Baseline settings?