S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   Any issues with the latest runs of Canton oil pans? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/any-issues-latest-runs-canton-oil-pans-1145193/)

Sickdayracing 02-05-2016 12:14 PM

Any issues with the latest runs of Canton oil pans?

I read the extensive thread on the original pans having all sorts off issues. I decided to call Canton today to discuss what changes they made. I was happy to hear they addressed the AC bracket issue and they include more shins for the flywheel now. More importantly, they changed the way they weld the pans now and said they haven't had any issues on their latest runs. Of course all this is from the manufacturer. Has anyone been running their most recent pans and had any issues?

Motonaut 02-12-2016 03:21 PM

I ordered one last week, it's sitting in my garage. Not sure when I will get a chance to install but I'll post in here.

s2000ellier 02-12-2016 03:47 PM

I'm running the "first" run of the pan I guess. No issues.

RAIN H8R 02-13-2016 05:35 AM

I was one who got in on the first run, no issues (S2K). My good friend had a leak (S2K), canton sent another, and it leaked. I bought a K20 pan for my CRX, tested it with water, it leaked and I had it repaired by my fabricator.

To be honest, these are all one off pans. Expect them to not fit, expect them to leak. Expect to modify them to need work to be functional and fit properly. I say it this way so you do not get disappointed.

anorexicpoodle 02-13-2016 04:16 PM

I have one of the first run pans, finally installed. Leak free.

davidc1 02-28-2016 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R (Post 23879723)
I was one who got in on the first run, no issues (S2K). My good friend had a leak (S2K), canton sent another, and it leaked. I bought a K20 pan for my CRX, tested it with water, it leaked and I had it repaired by my fabricator.

To be honest, these are all one off pans. Expect them to not fit, expect them to leak. Expect to modify them to need work to be functional and fit properly. I say it this way so you do not get disappointed.

I like this answer! Just expect the worst.

Most of you guys know I was the sort of lead person or whatever you want to call it to get these designed and made.

I don't have a lot of "inside" knowledge because I've told you guys 99% of what I've talked with the guys at Canton about the various issues. Keep in mind that there really weren't that many people that had issues compared with the total number sold. But, there were a lot of guys who were very vocal about their issues, and a couple of people who were very vocal about issues, even though they never installed their pan, or didn't even buy one!

A couple pans had some fitment issues around the pickup head. Some people had to trim a little of the baffle to clear the pickup head, but not many.

The leaks were basically two things...either leaking at the welds, or leaking from the sealing rail.

Most of the leaking at the rail was solved with just being really careful with mounting it. Use lots of Hondabond, and it was suggested to not tighten the bolts star pattern, but instead, tighten the inside bolts first, working out towards the outside bolts.

The leaking at the welds happened to a few people...this is the issue that's been solved with them using a welder with lots and lots of experience.

I've got about 70,000 miles on mine with no issues.

In summary, I wouldn't worry about the purchase. But, RAIN is right, these are one off custom made pans, and shit can sometimes happen.

NWDyno 02-29-2016 10:40 AM

I have a new canton pan for sale if anyone is interested, save you some money

suryamp123 02-21-2019 09:07 AM

Sorry for resurrection, but @NWDyno is the pan still for sale?

spdracerut 02-22-2019 08:53 AM

Looks like MotoIQ just installed the latest pan:
https://motoiq.com/preventing-s2000-...s-with-canton/

freq 02-22-2019 09:03 AM

That'll be interesting to follow.