S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Anyone replaced wheel bearings on a H.F. trailer?

Old 11-17-2005, 07:41 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickfromny,Nov 16 2005, 11:13 AM
Mark,
Can you put a bearing replacment kit group buy together for us with a step by step how to? This would be for us wrench challenged types. Wonder why I lost my tape enhanced bearing buddies and needed extra HF dust covers. Any how this thread should to to the tire trailer FAQ in the R & C forum.
Nick,

Here's an online site that has the bearings and oil seals: (search on 30205 for the bearing, and 30x52x7 for the oil seal. Two bearings and one seal are good for one side of the trailer.)

http://bearingsdirect.com/products/

Here is a good link to removing/inspecting/repacking bearings. (Just ignore the references to brakes.)

http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/bearing1.html

I added Bearing Buddies to mine, mainly because I couldn't find the right size dustcap. All the dustcaps I tried kept falling off. The correct size Bearing Buddy requires a hammer to remove. It is also nice, in that you can add grease without disassembling the hubs. You have to be careful, though, as it is easy to blow out the oil seal if you are not careful adding the grease.

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/buy.htm

Disclaimer: The part numbers listed fit my 2003 Harbor Freight Trailer. Check the numbers on your bearings, or measure them to verify that they are the same.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger,Nov 17 2005, 08:41 PM
I added Bearing Buddies to mine, mainly because I couldn't find the right size dustcap. All the dustcaps I tried kept falling off.
Yeah, one of my original dustcaps fell off the first (and so far only) trip I made with the trailer, and it made a greasy mess of the wheel! I tried to buy replacements (1.986" size) but it turns out those are too small. What is the correct size, and where can they be purchased? I don't really want the "bearing buddies". I've heard they work great for boat trailers, but it is recommended that they not be used for non-boat trailers. Ideally I would like the "EZ lube" type with a rubber plug insert.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:01 PM

By the way, Dodger, was that the 2047 size?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:58 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Nov 19 2005, 09:01 PM
By the way, Dodger, was that the 2047 size?
I believe 2047 is correct.

I wasn't going to use the Bearing Buddies, but I couldn't find a source for the 52mm dust caps. I did have some luck using silicone caulk to hold the dustcaps on, but everything has to be really clean for it to stick.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,
You are the man. Now show me how to drive faster.
Nick
Old 11-21-2005, 08:45 AM

This is all great information once the bearings need replacing.

I'd like to add that I found the bearings to be poorly packed and adjusted from the factory. One of the first things I did with my trailer was to add high quality grease to the hubs and make sure the bearings rotated freely. One of mine was binding as it came out of the box.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Nov 21 2005, 09:45 AM
I'd like to add that I found the bearings to be poorly packed and adjusted from the factory.
Mine were not packed at all.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

I had to bring this thread back from the dead!

I am about to assemble my HF Trailer, and want to put bearing buddies in at the same time. When i reassemble the bearings/hubs with the bearing buddies, do I leave out the outer bearing 3/4" flat washers?

The bearing buddy site states you should completely fill the hubs with grease before installing them, is this what other people did?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:54 PM

I went with the bearing buddies after all. I don't even know what washers you are talking about. But yes, follow the instructions.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:39 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Did you fill the entire hub before installing the BB?

The HF trailer hubs come preassembled and pre-greased- there is a 3/4" flat washer they call it, a little plastic washer/sleeve that goes in after the bearing (on the outer side). I am wondering if I leave this in place- it looks like it will be in the way of the bearing buddy sliding into the hub.

Did everyone disassemble the HF hubs/bearings entirely, to re-grease everything? This trailer needs to make a 1000 mile trip on its maiden voyage, and I have never actually packed wheel bearings. The instructions look straight forward.

Quick Reply: Anyone replaced wheel bearings on a H.F. trailer?