S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Anyone try Nexen N Fera Sur4 Tires

Old 04-24-2017, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I just had my rears mounted this weekend (phrasing). First impressions:

1. They look narrower than the Rivals I had on before (245s) to the point where 255 would have had similar treadwidth.
2. Maybe it's because they are new and the tread is deeper, but they are significantly quieter and don't tramline nearly at all.
3. I only have one backroad session on them, but rear grip seems at least as good as the old Rivals.

As a stop-gap tire because I still have half of the tread depth and not a lot of heat cycling on my old fronts, they should do the job. I haven't had much chance to test breakaway characteristics, but they seem like another "zero audible feedback until you're spinning" tire so far from the slip I've given the rear so far. My hope is they wear out at the same time as my fronts so I can do all 4 together in 2018 or 2019. I'll post more impressions when I get them to the track in June. If they hold up to the heat without getting greasy I'll be happy enough. That really ends up being my main concern, since I don't really autocross anymore.

Another note, I definitely need a new alignment, but that will have to wait until end of May just because my social calendar is insane this month.

NOTE: I know some of you are going to think "What the hell is he still doing on OG Rivals?". I'll answer - I bought them on closeout right after the Rival S came out, which was only 2 springs ago. I also put under 5k on the car annually, which is why I'm only just wearing out the rears now.

Last edited by duffman13; 04-24-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's pretty good but the tires are loud.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set of 225/50r16's for mine. I run in BS for SCCA autocross (Last year I ran the RE-71r's).
The Nexens are good, but they aren't on the level of the Bridgestones. I picked up all 4 for $390~ which is a great deal in my opinion. So far I have 2 events (one event I had a co-driver) and a track session on them. They seem to have plenty of grip, they didn't seem to fade with heat either. They seem kinda numb on center but once they are loaded up they grip pretty good. Time will tell how long they last. Last year I had a co-driver for most of the season and the Bridgestones held up for one season of around 20-25 events.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by takchi
It's pretty good but the tires are loud.
They are about as loud as the worn RE71R I had on before.

I've got a trackday for mine tomorrow. I would agree with the slightly numb on center thing, but when they load up they feel really different... its an on/off switch kind of feeling like I haven't experienced before in a tire.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:58 AM

Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't think they're loud. They're definitely quieter than Rivals or RS-3s were.

Also, got my alignment on Tuesday and hit the back roads again. Rear grip is very good, even in situations where I was intentionally trying to unsettle the car. I'm probably going to do my first track day of the year in June, so I'll report back then. Obv I'm not going to have any turn-in/steering impressions because rears only, but I like what I'm feeling for response so far.

My only downside is I'm not a huge fan of the look of the tread pattern (stupid, I know).

Another thing to note - if you're around 100k and haven't done your valve adjustment, get it done. My Tuesday maintenance was valves, plugs, and alignment, and the engine feels like I got 15-20hp back and a half second earlier throttle response compared to before.

Last edited by duffman13; 05-08-2017 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Today was my first trackday in the car as I bought it three weeks ago. I can say that I'd happy buy the tires again, but I can't give real feedback about them as it was the first time tracking it so I will just say that they are very predictable, require prodding to break loose and are forgiving. You know when they are going to let go and it is very smooth. Easily able to steer with the rear.

My basic setup is a an AP1 that is stock other than:
17x9 +45 RPF1 square
Offset bushings for more camber up front
Penske DA coilovers
Karcepts front and rear swaybars
DTC-60 / HP+ pads
K&N FIPK
Greddy EMU w/ Karcepts STR base tune

Very, very happy with how well the car works.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the sur4 on my GD Slowbaru RS2.5. Just set up a friend with some for his 135i. My impressions on both cars is that the tire behave exactly as R-S3 does. Predictable, easy to drive, cope with heat well. Not the grippiest tire on the market any more, but great for HPDE.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To THMotorsports: Are you speaking of the new SUR4G or the old SUR4? Did you drive fast on tracks and have no issues? I was planning to buy the old SUR4 on clearance from TireRack, but I called Nexen and they told me they had issues with delamination on the old model. And also told me they improved heat dispersion with the SUR4G. Unfortunately the new SUR4G is priced higher than the new Hankook RS4 etc... Thanks for any feedback!!
Old 05-18-2017, 05:46 AM

So let me get this straight - less than a year old and they already have an updated compound? crazy.

Probably not worth it if it's priced over the RS4 though.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:17 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
I'm tempted to try these on my team's BMW E36 truck LeMons car. We could save enough to buy a 5th as a spare tire for the race.
Did you say e36 truck?

Quick Reply: Anyone try Nexen N Fera Sur4 Tires