S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Anyone use Longacre Digital Caster/Camber Gauge

Old 06-03-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

BTW, the folks at Longacre are friendly and helpful...you can give them a call.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone on another forum was selling a product a few years ago that I bought that was essentially this: http://www.intercompracing.com/digit...p-99-l-en.html with an adjustable mount to line up with the wheel, and also turn plates. I used it for several years on my last race car and it was great, very easy to use. That car also had camber plates, so adjustments were easy.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:34 PM

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I used the one listed in the first post. I aligned it at home, and then took it to honda and had them go through it on a Hunter laser rack. I got caster almost right on, and the camber showed less by about .2 degrees all the way around(on the hunter rack).

The minimum rear camber I could get with the longacre gauge was -2.2 degrees each side. The hunter rack came out as -1.9 each side. The front was set with the longacre at -1.5 degrees, and the hunter showed it at -1.4 degrees.

To me that is pretty close (maybe not the 2.2 to 1.9, but the fronts were close). I made blocks for my car to sit on, so I could make adjustments under the car. I also used plastic bags under the wheels so they could move around under weight.

I made a cheap turntable for caster out of a piece of aluminum and a vinyl tile. I drew a circle on the tile, did some math, and drew out my angles. With a plastic bag under the other front wheel, I was able to turn the wheel (not the steering wheel) by hand. This made it so much easier to measure caster as I could turn 15degrees, measure camber, then turn the wheel to opposite 15degrees.

I'd like to get rid of the vinyl tile and replace it with another piece of aluminum to make it more durable though. Mcmaster also sells cheap turntables that would probably also work, some are rated at 1000lbs. Mine worked out well...didn't slip between tire and aluminum plate. Used some lubricant between the aluminum and the tile. I would say it comes out pretty close. Toe was more of a pain for me to set.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Xene
Does anyone use digital camber/caster gauges? I am looking to buy the Longacre Digital AccuLevel Caster Camber Gauge Ext. Quick Set Adapter w/Silver case. Link is below:

http://www.amazon.co...252SD3NM5BHQH2B

Does anyone have experience using this tool or any other electronic camber/caster gauge not requiring a magnet and self standing on wheel?

I was going to buy this one since it can do 15" to 22" inch rims, but I am afraid that the feet may not attach securely and can be used hands free. They sell another version LAR-78295 which only works to 17" rims but has a more common feet design which attach to outer lip.

The last resort would be the SmartCamber instrument but read it is rather long and can hit fender when doing the 15 degree turns to measure caster. They have longer pins but not sure still.

I got the gauge in and while I haven't done any alignments yet, I did try it on my S2000 and TT-RS. The S2000 is way off and the TT-RS is in pretty good shape. Interestingly, the Longacre shows a bit less camber than the latest alignment sheet I have on the TT-RS. The Hunter machine showed -1.3 both front sides, the Longacre -1.1 both front sides. The alignment was done last summer so it could have moved, but if it did, it moved equally on both front wheels.

It is not a hands free tool, you do have to hold it against the rim. The standoffs have a lip that can go around the outside of the rim to help steady it if there is room, there was on the TT-RS, not on the AP1 V1 Rims with RS3 tires. I've ordered a second set of standoffs, the same ones that come with the smaller model, so I can use what's best for each situation. I haven't tried castor yet. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer them.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Xene
Originally Posted by Forcednduckshn' timestamp='1433350198' post='23634875
[quote name='Xene' timestamp='1433213749' post='23632866']
Does anyone use digital camber/caster gauges? I am looking to buy the Longacre Digital AccuLevel Caster Camber Gauge Ext. Quick Set Adapter w/Silver case. Link is below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...52SD3NM5BHQH2B

Does anyone have experience using this tool or any other electronic camber/caster gauge not requiring a magnet and self standing on wheel?

I was going to buy this one since it can do 15" to 22" inch rims, but I am afraid that the feet may not attach securely and can be used hands free. They sell another version LAR-78295 which only works to 17" rims but has a more common feet design which attach to outer lip.

The last resort would be the SmartCamber instrument but read it is rather long and can hit fender when doing the 15 degree turns to measure caster. They have longer pins but not sure still.
I have used this gauge many times. Works great.
Sorry but which gauge are you referring to exactly?
[/quote]

The Long Acre digital/ 3axis adjustable length arm gauge