S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

AP Racing Essex Kit quick review

Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by takchi
Originally Posted by 99SH' timestamp='1345604894' post='21954955
Yes, I was in the GPW at Buttonwillow on Sunday. I was testing quite a few things with my new setup (e.g new pulley on blower). If anyone wants a closer look at the BBK, I'll be at Bwillow again on 9/15 w/NCRC. One glance at the setup and it's pretty obvious this stuff is top quality.

Also, I do switch out the pads for street duty. No issues putting around town. ABS works fine, as is the front/rear bias.

You know you want it
I would like to apologize for accidently divebombing you at the sweeper in the Black run group. Your brakes were too good and I saw you open up a lane. Before I knew it, I braked and realized I divebombed you on accident! Saw the brakes in person when you were stopped just before the pit. They look amazing!
No worry. I was fighting some other car issues that day. My supercharger belt was slipping, to the point that it eventually snapped coming out of turn 3. Gave me a chance to improve driver skill driving all-motor. Also need to get the car retuned to iron out all the hesitations. I plan to get everything corrected before my September event and give it 100%
Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you notice the pads dragging at all with the anti knock back springs? I know they're only 4lb springs but I DD the car and put lots of freeway miles on it.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would like to see these compared to the other ap kit
Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn
Wait, you were at BW this weekend? How did I miss you?!?

I'm so glad you like this kit. The previous Stillen kit had a lot of issues...

What kind of problems are you guys seeing with the Stillen AP Racing kit? I've been running the Stillen kit for over a year now with zero issues. No leaks, ABS works fine, no brake fade, great pedal feel. I'm currently using Carbotech XP12s front on the AP kit and XP10s on the stock rear caliper and Motul RBF600.

I'm sorry to hear that people have not had success with the Stillen kit as it has been a great upgrade for me.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:38 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Was removing the brake dust shields required to fit the kit?

I would have jumped on this group buy if it didn't mean I would have to sell several sets of wheels and buy new ones that fit.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MMisencik157
Do you notice the pads dragging at all with the anti knock back springs? I know they're only 4lb springs but I DD the car and put lots of freeway miles on it.
Ill wait for 99SH to add, but I have been daily driving the prototype for 2 months including 2 multi hour highway jaunts. No noticeable drag issues, no mileage decrease. It was confirmed when I noticed there was no heat in the brakes from a 60 minute run with out touching the brakes and I had race pads on. They didnt grab until for a second as the rotor and pad were cold. No such issues with the S100 pads though, the operate at lower temps.

The following users liked this post:
lab_rat (09-05-2019)
Old 08-22-2012, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Nope, just need to be trimmed for the caliper to fit, and had to bend and tweak them a little bit, because they were not completely straight when I pressed out the hubs for my wheel studs.

I'm keeping them to add brake ducts
Old 08-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by rwheelz

I would have jumped on this group buy if it didn't mean I would have to sell several sets of wheels and buy new ones that fit.
We should have 18" options available by the end of the week. These will offer higher grip due to wider wheels and optimal sidewall profiles with the compromise of higher cost tires.

Still working on lower cost 17" options.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Urge
Originally Posted by MMisencik157' timestamp='1345610754' post='21955101
Ill wait for 99SH to add, but I have been daily driving the prototype for 2 months including 2 multi hour highway jaunts. No noticeable drag issues, no mileage decrease. It was confirmed when I noticed there was no heat in the brakes from a 60 minute run with out touching the brakes and I had race pads on. They didnt grab until for a second as the rotor and pad were cold. No such issues with the S100 pads though, the operate at lower temps.
No noticeable pad drag here either. In fact I forgot about the AKB springs until you just mentioned it. Also to note, while driving my track pads on the street, never did I once hear a faint squeal (due to brake drag). Only when I lightly hit the brake pedal is when I hear the squeal. That said, no issue.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Sponsor

99SH, any updates? Any more track time?

Quick Reply: AP Racing Essex Kit quick review