S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

From baby CR aero to big boy Aero?

Old 05-14-2018, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From baby CR aero to big boy Aero?

So I just tracked my CR at Buttonwillow CW 13 for the first time and managed to clock a 2:01.92 with stock aero on square 255 nexun sur4g. Other mods include ohlin DFV 12k/10k, RCAs, exhaust, HFC, and tune. So my question is could I expect a drop in lap times if were to upgrade the wing to maybe something like a APR gt250 with 14" uprights and adding an appropriately matched splitter? Also it was somewhat of a warm day and I was running the tires at 34 hot all around. Just looking for tips on how to drop into the sub 2 club. I also managed to break 100 mph through riverside and had a couple butt pucker moments in doing so lol.

Last edited by CR295; 05-14-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not familiar with Buttonwillow unfortunately but judging by the data, a GT250 and a large front splitter should do it no problem if I had to guess. 1-2 seconds I'd imagine.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:31 PM
Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Perhaps a second or two, are the maroonish colored sectors of the track when your braking? What pads/brake set up you running?
Old 05-16-2018, 01:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

That is a very respectable time. Very nice driving!

How accurate is the braking data on this map? Is that really when you're braking at bus stop?

Why did you brake between lost hills and sweeper? That looks to be a couple lost 10th's there.

As for what you should upgrade next, it's important to know what you want to improve on. Do you feel like you've hit the limit of your brakes? Is it understeer prone or oversteer prone when pushed to the limit? What sections of the track do you feel like you could improve on? The times that you're losing on cotton corners will have different remedies than times you're losing on sunset/sunrise.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't speak to the effects of the aero yet but I am making this upgrade before the year is up. The details on the CR rear wing all seem to indicate it reduces lift but doesn't generate downforce. If that is true, a proper wing will be a positive change.

In the few outings I've had with some aero S2000s at Texas World Speedway MSR-Cresson, and MSR Houston, we've run similar times. The personal bests for some of those guys are better than me, though I cannot speak to the level of prep. The NASA TTC/TT4 track records are quite a ways better than me, but my car is not properly built to compare.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by RogueMotorsports
Perhaps a second or two, are the maroonish colored sectors of the track when your braking? What pads/brake set up you running?

I'm not entirely sure, I don't feel like I was breaking in some of those read zones. I did find myself running out of gear (4th gear) before bus stop and after lost hills before the sweeper. I talked to another guy after the fact and watched some videos of AP2 running sub 2s and their short shifting into 5th through those sections. Ill have to go back and try that, probably just need more seat time in this car.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:12 PM
Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If they are you seem to be braking a bit too much, what pads or brake set up are you running? Either way those are great times for a very mild set up
Old 05-16-2018, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by RogueMotorsports
If they are you seem to be braking a bit too much, what pads or brake set up are you running? Either way those are great times for a very mild set up
Thank you! running stock calipers with Project MU club racers.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:51 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

I just pulled up your data on Hotlap and had a look. You've got a strong hustle going through much of the track. Nice driving!

Hard to say how much time the wing and splitter offer over CR aero but its significant for sure. I would say with your other mods it is 1:57 capable, possibly faster.

For sure you would be well served to consider stiffer springs with more aero.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try turning down your music next time! great driving David

Quick Reply: From baby CR aero to big boy Aero?