S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Backing a trailer into a tight spot

Old 11-27-2018, 06:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Backing a trailer into a tight spot

How realistic is it to back a 8’6” car trailer through a 9’ clearance gate into a 10’ clearance space between a house and a fence?

I need a trailer to tow my race car, and I am buying a house partially to help store that. I need to live in the city so space is limited. I found a house with no HOA and these parameters. Just wondering how realistic it is to store the trailer between the house and the fence. I feel like the 10’ once I get it in will be fine but I am worried about how tight a 9’ gate opening is for an 8’6” trailer. Car will be unloaded into garage first.

It's a straight shot up a driveway. Oh and I have that Ford trailer backup assist but idk how much that helps.

Thanks guys
Old 11-28-2018, 02:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kshepard
How realistic is it to back a 8’6” car trailer through a 9’ clearance gate into a 10’ clearance space between a house and a fence?

I need a trailer to tow my race car, and I am buying a house partially to help store that. I need to live in the city so space is limited. I found a house with no HOA and these parameters. Just wondering how realistic it is to store the trailer between the house and the fence. I feel like the 10’ once I get it in will be fine but I am worried about how tight a 9’ gate opening is for an 8’6” trailer. Car will be unloaded into garage first.

It's a straight shot up a driveway. Oh and I have that Ford trailer backup assist but idk how much that helps.

Thanks guys
i have been doing just that. It’s super annoying. The angle I have to cut I even drag my front bumper across the hedges of the yard in front. I have s tree that has been scraped enough that the bark is funny. I have broken and Jb welded a brake light and I have damaged my gate. I could go on....it starts getting easier to get close on the first effort when you establish some markers but you must do it once to know it can be done. It’s damn near as difficult to get back out too. I do it with a 2006 ceyenne which has no back up camera. I have to ramp boards for the trailer too as it’s a grass incline and the trailer rear will gouge the yard. Do it once....then you know it can be done.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:31 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Are you going to have the car on the trailer when going thru the gate? Can you widen the gate?

A trailer dolly is a common way to move trailers and provides a lot more control thru tight spaces. Wide range of options in price and convenience. (Sorry for the size of the $150 model. )

-- Chuck
Old 11-28-2018, 07:31 AM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Are you going to have the car on the trailer when going thru the gate? Can you widen the gate?

A trailer dolly is a common way to move trailers and provides a lot more control thru tight spaces. Wide range of options in price and convenience. (Sorry for the size of the $150 model. )

-- Chuck
i have the harbor freight version of the second one. i have a little 700lb (usually with an extra couple hundred extra lbs of crap in it) teardrop i move around with it. fairly easily. i need a second hand on inclines if i ever encounter one. i would think for a car trailer your going to want the motorized one. it does make moving trailers around super easy
Old 11-28-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

How big a trailer, what type of hitch, and what is your tow vehicle. What sort of cameras do you have and what does the space in front of the fence look like?

Tractor-trailers, those 18-wheelers, regularly park in extremely tight spaces with minimal clearence. They also have driver's trained for that and pivot the the trailer over the rear axle.

Those tractor trailers start in what amounts to an open lot where they can steer left and right. If you are on a narrow driveway that can be very limited. Remember, unless you are using a 4-bar linkage hitch (like a Hensley), you are pivoting the trailer way behind your rear axle. For a while, the Suburban 2500 and some Sierra's had a rear wheel steering option. It was specifically marketed for trailer towing. It is no longer available; the Suburban 2500 is no longer available.

These days it is possible to have a camera on the back and sides of the trailer, on the back and sides of the tow vehicle, and looking down surrounding the tow vehicle. These can make it A LOT easier to manivuer without hitting stuff. I have a 102" wide enclosed trailer towing mirrors that hang on the doors (OEM towing mirrors don't work over 96" wide trailers). When the trailer pivots it is impossible to see the outside. To move the hitch requires the vehicle nose to arch.

Another factor can be hump-backed roads, common on many residential streets for drainage. With a tag-along trailer, they can cause the hitch to move closer to the ground. Depending on the width of the road, the size of the hump, and the slope of the driveway, it can cause the hitch to try to gouge the ground.

An open trailer is lighter, and if your driveway is flat one of those trailer dollys may work. There are also trailer jacks with wheels. For an enclosed trailer that may way over 4500lbs or a trailer with the car on it, I doubt any would work.

Net: yes, the width is tight but not impossible. All depends on the area in front of the gate available for lining the trailer up to the gate and the stall.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I back my open trailer with s2000 on top into a single car garage all the time. Practice makes perfect. Of the hundreds of times I did it, may have scraped the wood frame on garage door a few times. Do need a long driveway to back it straight. I only have 2 inches on each side at it's tightest spot (trailer fenders).
Old 11-29-2018, 08:29 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If the approach is straight in (and out), I think it can be done. It will take patience and maybe a spotter, and you'll need to be lined up really straight because you won't be able to steer the trailer once it's in that opening with only 3" on each side. I've never used the Ford backup assist, but if it can keep the truck and trailer lined up in a perfectly straight line, that could be a huge help.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys. It's fairly straight on and flat, pic below. Extending the pavers as a driveway and through the gate for a trailer parking pad. Sounds like a trailer mover will handle it.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

I'd back it in at 30 mph, one hand on the wheel and a beer in one hand and not touch a thing .....

JK lol. If I were using the trailer for a few events a year (like SCCA nats and a few others) I probably would just deal with carefully backing it in. But if using it a lot more, one of the trailer dollies like someone mentioned above may make your life easier and prevent one careless move from damaging your car, trailer or house.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kshepard
Thanks for all the advice guys. It's fairly straight on and flat, pic below. Extending the pavers as a driveway and through the gate for a trailer parking pad. Sounds like a trailer mover will handle it.

house looks pretty nice. is this in Arizona?

just back in it. creates character and skill.

Quick Reply: Backing a trailer into a tight spot