S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Ballade Spherical Bushing Kit : Requesting Feedback

Old 09-18-2018, 07:43 PM

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

So we think it may be the buddy club ball joints now. Pics incoming.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:50 PM

Ok so this is the old one that failed:

This is the new one that failed in the exact same spot:

If you look at the ball joint it doesn’t quite sit flush. We think when the bolt is tightened it’s tweaking the spindle and stressing it.

So that’s our current theory.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:53 PM

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by the-moss
So we think it may be the buddy club ball joints now. Pics incoming.

What is leading you to believe that?
Old 09-18-2018, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sickdayracing
What is leading you to believe that?
see pics. The spindle doesn’t quite sit flush on the ball joint mounting plate; there’s a small gap there. We think when the nut is tightened on there it’s tweaking the spindle and stressing it.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not the gap that's causing it. It's the fact that the load is being moved to a weaker part of the spindle because you are using the ball joint to correct to much camber and roll that the vertical load is not in the right place. If you are looking for more camber and roll center direction them switching to offset bushings in the upper arms and doing the roll center correction on the steering rack will help eliminate the issues
The following users liked this post:
the-moss (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by ConeKiller2
It's not the gap that's causing it. It's the fact that the load is being moved to a weaker part of the spindle because you are using the ball joint to correct to much camber and roll that the vertical load is not in the right place. If you are looking for more camber and roll center direction them switching to offset bushings in the upper arms and doing the roll center correction on the steering rack will help eliminate the issues
The vertical load is still going through the same point on the spindle, the spindle’s mating surface is fully engaged with the ball join plate assuming that gap is closed. However with the balljoint further out from the spindle there will be a larger torque component to that force, and I think that’s what you are getting at. You may very well be right. My only hesitation is that we’re not the only ones running these, or similarly designed, ball joints and breaking front spindles doesn’t appear to be a common problem.

Second, with regard to the roll center correction on the steering rack - I may be showing my ignorance here but how would you correct roll-center using the steering rack? Did you mean bump steer correction?
Old 09-19-2018, 06:48 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

I have the Hardrace RCA and haven't had this issue. However, mine are not adjustable like yours. Just looking at the photos, your failure is because of the torque you're putting on the spindle.

Go to a fixed lower RCA, then if you need more camber get it from the upper A-arm by either offset bushings or adjustable upper balljoints from SPC.

As for the Ballade kit, I have a few installed on my car but not the entire kit. I have done 12 track days since install and they still move free. Most of the companies don't manufacture their own bearings. Try giving them a call and see who the supplier is, then do research on their parts.
The following users liked this post:
the-moss (09-19-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting..!.??

Got ballads spherical compliance and buddyclub lower ball joint too.

Although i also have the spc upper ball joint. For some reason my bbk rotors were hiting my lower control arm. So with those 2 ajustable ball joints i pushed the spindle away from the control arm to avoid that contact.

Weird... i know
Old 09-21-2018, 08:54 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by the-moss
Ok so this is the old one that failed:

This is the new one that failed in the exact same spot:

If you look at the ball joint it doesn’t quite sit flush. We think when the bolt is tightened it’s tweaking the spindle and stressing it.

So that’s our current theory.
Is it possible the car was bottoming or the ball joint ran out of travel?
Old 09-22-2018, 08:25 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I run those ball joints without the RCA plate. To date I have not had any issues, but I definitely plan to check over the winter.

Quick Reply: Ballade Spherical Bushing Kit : Requesting Feedback