S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Best Compromise Tire For Track/Autocross/Street

Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting a separate set of wheels has been the best option for me personally. Switch to the race wheel/tires for the weekend you race, then back to the DD ones for the non-race days. It has made both my sets basically double their life. Less DD use on the soft competition tires, and no hard track/auto-x days on the DD ones. Granted, It's the more expensive route initially, but can pay off in the long run. Just my .02c.

but if I had to choose, The star specs are great tires to live with everyday.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OVER 9000!
I am actually starting to lean more toward just having a set of track wheels and using my ap1 wheels as a dd set, so I'm open to more track oriented options now. However, I don't feel like I'm ready to move up to slicks yet, so anything but slicks. Still think I should get the star specs?
Dedicated track set? RS3. No brainer unless you'll be driving in puddles.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by b_wong
Does anyone have experience with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, they seem to be getting great reviews for wet/dry traction and have a higher treadwear rating than most other tires in this segment?

I have these on my GT3 and very pleased on and off track. As for the S2000 I plan on running RE-11s.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:25 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn
I actually vote RE-11, if you ever have to do a lot of daily driving. They do cost more, but unless you're looking to compete and need that last 2%, they're nearly as fast as everything else, but have VERY long life and are excellent in the rain. They also happen to give a ton of auditory feedback.

See the tire feedback thread in my sig for my opinions and thoughts.
I ran them for the first time last weekend....auditory feedback is an understatement!
Old 08-01-2012, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by OVER 9000!
I am actually starting to lean more toward just having a set of track wheels and using my ap1 wheels as a dd set, so I'm open to more track oriented options now. However, I don't feel like I'm ready to move up to slicks yet, so anything but slicks. Still think I should get the star specs?
Best option in my opinion. Keep the V12s (currently running them on my car), and then get some SS (seem to need the least amount of heat prior to coming to life), or the RS3 (seems to have the best ultimate grip, but needs more heat. What I would do though, if I were getting track only wheels, would be a set of R-compounds, or full-on slicks.

Mike
Old 08-01-2012, 05:56 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

In my experience, while RS-3s might lack grip in cool temps in the wet on the street, they're fine in the wet once warmed up. I ran on StarSpec fronts and RS-3 rears at Mosport last year, where it rained like crazy and temps were below 50F. Handling balance was fine.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:47 AM

Dedicated Street Class track tire? RS3 do doubt, with the Star Spec and Falken RT-615k right behind it. Most people say they 615k sucks, but in my experience, it has just as much grip as the star spec - most that rag on it say it sucks because the old RT-615 got hot. The new K compound is awesome.

Stay away from slicks...Even to this day, I prefer going pretty quick on street tires over going a little faster on slicks. Its fun to say you're faster than someone who is on slicks...but then gives you the opportunity to have a reason as to why you are slower then them too.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aCab
Stay away from slicks...Even to this day, I prefer going pretty quick on street tires over going a little faster on slicks. Its fun to say you're faster than someone who is on slicks...but then gives you the opportunity to have a reason as to why you are slower then them too.
Lol at this, so true.

I too am running the R-S3 and they are awesome on the track.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 PM

I'm running RS-3's for dual duty auto-x and street driving. As long as you don't push them in the rain they are fine for DD.

To those that have run RE-11's and RS-3's, how much longer will they last? Is it worth the cost?
Old 08-01-2012, 12:44 PM

star spec lover here, but they can be a bit loud on the highway. Fortunately my CR is for track use only.

Quick Reply: Best Compromise Tire For Track/Autocross/Street