S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Best roll bar for a tall person

Old 03-11-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I assume that is an EVO II that you have in there?
Sparco Sprint actually, though I may upgrade to an Evo II when my harnesses and seat hit their “expiration” date or whatever it’s called. I don’t actually mind the steel frame seat as there is enough padding for comfort and being a steel frame I was able to “massage” the shoulder wings a little to fit me slightly better
Old 03-11-2018, 09:01 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LouisvilleNFR

I will take a few tonight, this is the only one I have at the moment during a parade lap when I took the roof off. It’s also a good way to see how a 6-3 guy can pass the broomstick
Would you pass the broomstick test with your helmet on? Looks like it would be close. Asking because I've been working for a while on getting a seat in the car low enough for the rollbar to be safely over my head.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:22 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Sparco Sprint actually, though I may upgrade to an Evo II when my harnesses and seat hit their “expiration” date or whatever it’s called. I don’t actually mind the steel frame seat as there is enough padding for comfort and being a steel frame I was able to “massage” the shoulder wings a little to fit me slightly better
Wow, I am actually surprised the shoulder holes work! That is good info for taller people looking for a decent inexpensive seat! I bought one for my passenger seat and it feels great, except my shoulders are too wide.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by bdo
Would you pass the broomstick test with your helmet on? Looks like it would be close. Asking because I've been working for a while on getting a seat in the car low enough for the rollbar to be safely over my head.
Yes, I do pass with a helmet on, though it is close. The seat and mounting has more to do with it than anything. I have no rails or sliders, mounted directly to the floor. There may be 1 inch clearance from the bottom of the seat to the floor on the rear. I probably gained 2-3 inches of headroom over stock. Since that seat is cloth/springs on the base, your butt sinks a little lower than the actual bottom of the seat when you are totally strapped in.

Originally Posted by bgoetz

Wow, I am actually surprised the shoulder holes work! That is good info for taller people looking for a decent inexpensive seat! I bought one for my passenger seat and it feels great, except my shoulders are too wide.
When my harnesses are on they hang just above dead center in the harness slots, and I’ve been told I have a long torso. The holes are about 4” tall so that gives plenty of room for many driver sizes. The shoulder wings are very narrow, but if you take the seat cover off, a long 2x4 can “massage” the wings into a much more comfortable position
Old 03-12-2018, 05:00 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

LouisvilleNFR, do you drive that car on the street? To the track?
Old 03-12-2018, 05:05 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes, I do pass with a helmet on, though it is close. The seat and mounting has more to do with it than anything. I have no rails or sliders, mounted directly to the floor. There may be 1 inch clearance from the bottom of the seat to the floor on the rear. I probably gained 2-3 inches of headroom over stock. Since that seat is cloth/springs on the base, your butt sinks a little lower than the actual bottom of the seat when you are totally strapped in.

When my harnesses are on they hang just above dead center in the harness slots, and I’ve been told I have a long torso. The holes are about 4” tall so that gives plenty of room for many driver sizes. The shoulder wings are very narrow, but if you take the seat cover off, a long 2x4 can “massage” the wings into a much more comfortable position
Good to know, I may do that with my passenger seat, because the shoulders are dang narrow even for a “normal” size person
Old 03-12-2018, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by freq
LouisvilleNFR, do you drive that car on the street? To the track?
I don’t drive it often, but it has plates on it, so it does get driven on the street occasionally and to the track. I know 6-point harnesses and race seats aren’t considered street-safe and the rollbar has the super-stiff SFI padding on the exposed areas.

Safety concerns aside it’s actually not as uncomfortable as you’d imagine since I don’t have to slouch down in the seat to clear the roof anymore.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:16 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

I winced when I saw how close your head is to the rollbar.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by freq
I winced when I saw how close your head is to the rollbar.
That photo makes it look closer than it actually is, especially with the thick pad on it. Head to bar clearance is probably 3-4 inches at the closest point. When I still had the soft top, my head was much closer to the soft top hinges over the door than the roll bar and my helmet would sometimes make contact with them over rough spots on the track. I know they are not quite as unyielding as the roll bar, but no one ever seems to worry about those when discussing helmetless driving safety.

Anyways, finally got a few more pictures for the OP, first is helmetless clearances, second is how close the broomstick (yardstick in this case) test is. If you want any specific pictures just ask and I’ll do my best to get them.

Broomstick test
Old 03-13-2018, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LouisvilleNFR, these pictures are of great help to me. It looks like you just fine. Would you hesitate to drive it this way on a long distance trip?

Quick Reply: Best roll bar for a tall person