S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Boost sucks!

Old 04-27-2016, 02:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Boost sucks!

So after 6yrs running boost, 3 of which with dedicated track/race car, I've finally come to my senses.... Boost sucks!

I raced a spec Miata ish car at The Glen this weekend in a 9hr enduro. Never had more fun behind the wheel in my life! It was also street tires, which made a ton of difference.

I realized I've been masking shitty driving with high HP and fresh slicks. So I've decided to take a step back, try street tires for a while and the blower is being removed for good!

I'll be converting my car to an H1 car soon, with some SCCA crossover, and eventually add a fuel cell for enduros. Have to change out a lot to get to H1 compliance, but will be worth it as we have a nice H1 crew of s2000's building up in the NE.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:52 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

your NUTSSSSSS,
I need to talk to you ASAP. going to text you
Old 04-27-2016, 04:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think FI on a road course car just adds complication, unreliability, and a lot of the things mentioned in your post. Welcome back to the NA fun.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:49 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
I realized I've been masking shitty driving with high HP and fresh slicks. So I've decided to take a step back, try street tires for a while and the blower is being removed for good!
I'm no super duper driver, but I think starting out in HPDEs with big HP and very sticky rubber can certainly be a crutch more than a help. With less HP and non sticky rubber you have to focus on doing all the little things right to maximize your speed. After you've found the limit with the hp you got, adding FI then makes sense, imo.

Props on taking a step back and reassessing things. Having competition also makes things a lot more fun.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I love these threads Justin
Old 04-27-2016, 06:28 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

There is a place for both. Why not keep the S2k and get a Spec Miata, SpecE30, or build a Honda Challenge car. I went the other way and started with 146 whp in my E30 on street tires. I worked my way up to 155 whp 2700 lb comp weight and 205 width R comps when I race in SpecE30. The turbo route isn't the easy route, but it is really fun when the car is working properly. There is no way I would remove the turbo kit from my car, but the thought of selling my SpecE30 and building a K24 Honda Challenge car is very tempting to me currently.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:40 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Sleep on this..... Stop Drinking whatever your drinking.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:45 AM

This has been brewing for a long time now to be honest and racing the spec miata at WGI was the icing in the cake.

If my wife wouldn't divorce me for having 2 race cars I'd buy a spec miata in a heartbeat. The reality is the S2000, with a little more power then the Miata is perfect.

As far as reliable, I can tell you my boosted s2k was pretty damn reliable. Although the cost to maintain was very high. No matted what happened, I would always have around $1000 worth of work that needed to be done after a race.

I'm telling you guys having to really keep momentum up in a car is way more fun.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:46 AM

This has been brewing for a long time now to be honest and racing the spec miata at WGI was the icing in the cake.<div></div><div>If my wife wouldn't divorce me for having 2 race cars I'd buy a spec miata in a heartbeat. The reality is the S2000, with a little more power then the Miata is perfect.</div><div></div><div>As far as reliable, I can tell you my boosted s2k was pretty damn reliable. Although the cost to maintain was very high. No matted what happened, I would always have around $1000 worth of work that needed to be done after a race.</div><div></div><div>I'm telling you guys having to really keep momentum up in a car is way more fun.</div>
Old 04-27-2016, 06:48 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
This has been brewing for a long time now to be honest and racing the spec miata at WGI was the icing in the cake.

If my wife wouldn't divorce me for having 2 race cars I'd buy a spec miata in a heartbeat. The reality is the S2000, with a little more power then the Miata is perfect.

As far as reliable, I can tell you my boosted s2k was pretty damn reliable. Although the cost to maintain was very high. No matted what happened, I would always have around $1000 worth of work that needed to be done after a race.

I'm telling you guys having to really keep momentum up in a car is way more fun.
The Divorces are just idle threats. Mine says a curse word everytime she walks by the S2000 sitting on jackstands. Now I've temporarily added an FRS to the driveway. She hasn't filed yet.

Quick Reply: Boost sucks!