S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Brake Duct Install Photos/DIY

Old 04-04-2011, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Duct Install Photos/DIY

I just figured I would share a link to a DIY and some pictures of the brake duct installation I did this weekend. Hopefully it will help somebody out. They are similar to robrob's brake ducts, with a few key differences. Thanks for your writeup Rob, it was a helpful reference.

http://www.adrenalineautosport.com/d...0-brake-ducts/

Check out the above link for all the details, but here are a few of the key photos:

The ducts mount near the rotor using a bracket that attaches to the wheel speed sensor bolt

The 2.5" ducting routes behind the air pump easily

Finished
Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice Jason! I've got to redo my ducting before Autobahn - totally demolished it while autoxing (steering wheel at full lock). I've decided to pick up a few flanges and see if I can make the ducting in the fender removable between events.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Community Organizer

Received 662 Likes on 416 Posts

Nice, I have been meaning to do mine all winter. Its nice to have another reference.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by patinum
Very nice Jason! I've got to redo my ducting before Autobahn - totally demolished it while autoxing (steering wheel at full lock). I've decided to pick up a few flanges and see if I can make the ducting in the fender removable between events.
Thanks Pat. Yes, that would be convenient if it was easy to take off. So, you're planning on putting two flanges back-to-back on the fender liner?

Also, I have recall reading somewhere that you can 'thread' two pieces of ducting together. I haven't tested to see how well that works, but if it does, perhaps you could make the section of ducting in the wheel well area a separate piece and just thread it on.

Say, are you coming to Autobahn in a couple weeks? I'll be there.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speedengineer
Originally Posted by patinum' timestamp='1301925661' post='20427301
Thanks Pat. Yes, that would be convenient if it was easy to take off. So, you're planning on putting two flanges back-to-back on the fender liner?

Also, I have recall reading somewhere that you can 'thread' two pieces of ducting together. I haven't tested to see how well that works, but if it does, perhaps you could make the section of ducting in the wheel well area a separate piece and just thread it on.

Say, are you coming to Autobahn in a couple weeks? I'll be there.
Yeah, I'm think I'm going to do 2 flanges (orderd 4). If that doesn't work, I may just set it up so that I can stuff the rest of the ducting into the bumper when not on track. I prefer the 2 flange idea since that section can easily be replaced if/when it gets crushed.

FWIW - I have the quantum motorsports brake duct kit. Definitely no advantage over the diy kits (including yours) but is a fairly decent deal for how lazy I am.

I'll be at autobahn. I haven't signed up yet and the car has only been out of storage for a week, but I'll be there.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:30 PM

Do you guys recall how much of the hose you used? I'm wondering if it's possible to do brake ducting for two cars with an 11 ft hose.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need around 7ft.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are your wheel/tire specs? I used 2" ducting, kinda wished I would've used 2.5", but there is not a ton of clearance.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Community Organizer

Received 662 Likes on 416 Posts

I did mine a few weeks ago, but decided to mount them the opposite way, I thought it looked better.

I was surprised how little room there was in the wheel well. I went with 2.5" piping and I am running a 17x8" +48 wheel in the front with a 225 series tire and I still get a bit of rubbing on full lock.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by goldenfri
I was surprised how little room there was in the wheel well. I went with 2.5" piping and I am running a 17x8" +48 wheel in the front with a 225 series tire and I still get a bit of rubbing on full lock.
Yes, there isn't a ton of room. Actually, (although it isn't updated in the pics on the diy), I went back and located the ducting a bit more under the upper control arm rather than along-side it. I put it underneath, right up against the shock body. This provided lots of extra clearance to ensure that there was no rubbing even at full lock regardless of where the wheel was located in its suspension motion. Four track weekends so far, no rubbing whatsoever.

Quick Reply: Brake Duct Install Photos/DIY