S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Brakes spongy.. Will they stiffen?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am encountering the same problem, i can simply not get rid of the sponginess after multiple attempts at bleeding, and gravity bleeding.. i let air get in the master cylinder as i took off my calipers, and let the fluid run completely dry. how many times is necessary to get rid of the air?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

When I switched brake lines, I noticed that no matter how many times I bled, the sponginess wouldn't go away. So I drove around for a few days (very carefully), then bled again. Then drove a few more days, then bled again. The pedal got successively better. I might try activating the ABS and bleeding yet again.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VitaRenovatio,Aug 5 2009, 07:10 PM
When I switched brake lines, I noticed that no matter how many times I bled, the sponginess wouldn't go away. So I drove around for a few days (very carefully), then bled again. Then drove a few more days, then bled again. The pedal got successively better. I might try activating the ABS and bleeding yet again.
Interesting. I've never been happy with the way my brakes feel.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:20 PM

Yeah, I think the parts just weaken over time, and these millimeters of flex adds up to increased sponginess. Whenever I drive my friends' CRs, I get so jealous of their pedal feel. But in the end, you mash it down as hard as you can, you still stop just as fast.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by VitaRenovatio,Aug 5 2009, 08:10 PM
perhaps we are on the same page. i might take her out tonite into a lot and slam on them a bit, and try it again.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, I swapped my brake lines and calipers last night. But didn't get any air in the system, I only let a few drips of fluid out per wheel and I topped up each time.

Still felt spongy as all hell. So I drove around a bit activated ABS and it stops well just felt crappy. So I bled a little again no air.

I find after I change them they always feel spongy though and they stiffen up after a while.... or I get use to it....
Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 AM

Pay attention to the size of the orifice on aftermarket brake lines compared to stock. I have witnessed one very popular company selling stainless steel jacketed brake lines with a much smaller hole leading into the banjo fitting. Let's just say they were promptly returned.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 PM

What company was this? I didn't like Goodridge lines for several reasons, and I upgraded to Endless recently.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:13 PM

Try bleeding the master cylinder.

http://robrobinette.com/bleeding_the...r_cylinder.htm
Old 08-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

So I bled a little again no air.
You can't bleed just a little. The air in the ABS modulator is a long way from the wheels. You have to bleed all the fluid in the lines to get the air that's been released from the ABS.

Sdracing, thanks for the website plug

Bleeding the Master Cylinder

Quick Reply: Brakes spongy.. Will they stiffen?