S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Broke something this weekend :(

Old 04-30-2018, 07:22 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Broke something this weekend :(

So the last session before I was going to head home something broke causing a sudden and awful banging under the car. At first I thought it was the engine so I shut it down and rolled into the grass. Upon towing with the car in neutral the banging persisted. We got it back to the paddock and the car drove and shifted, but still a constant banging, almost like I broke an axle. We lifted the car and checked the axles and they seemed ok, but didn’t have time to check much else before tossing it on the trailer.

So now it is at my guy who does work on my car awaiting diagnosis. He won’t be able to look at it till Wednesday and I am curious what to prepare myself for. Right now I am leaning towards the diff, but it seems really loud for a diff, like a bat hitting under the car.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I broke an axle once and it was pretty loud banging. But I couldn't drive it forward more than a little bit because the broken axle had unloaded the diff and sent all the power the broken axle.

FWIW, my axle broke 100 miles after doing the axle nut "TSB." The other axle proved to be cracked, upon further inspection.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:02 AM

That would be nice if that is all mine was, fingers crossed! I just would have thought as loud as the banging was it would be something really obvious, but nope.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:50 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Sounds like someone installed a hi performance diff while you weren't looking.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
I broke an axle once and it was pretty loud banging. But I couldn't drive it forward more than a little bit because the broken axle had unloaded the diff and sent all the power the broken axle.
Same. Not sure if it happened at the same time but my diff was missing a few teeth when I opened it the following season.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:15 PM

Received 345 Likes on 322 Posts

Prob on the planet gear Jim,but not as we know it
Old 04-30-2018, 04:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain

FWIW, my axle broke 100 miles after doing the axle nut "TSB." The other axle proved to be cracked, upon further inspection.
Is this a known problem, I know a lot of people do this and haven't heard of this before.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you check rotor? I have had 2 cracks connect through the hat and the pizza slice resulting was a free piece.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:50 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Xene
Is this a known problem, I know a lot of people do this and haven't heard of this before.
As far as I can tell, I'm the only one that it has happened to. Perhaps they were already stressed prior to the TSB.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by miamirice
Did you check rotor? I have had 2 cracks connect through the hat and the pizza slice resulting was a free piece.
I have 2 piece URGE rotors and they seemed fine. The sound was “bigger” though. I did consider the hub possibility busted, but I am fairly certain I would have felt that in the way the car drove. I will update tomorrow when my guy looks at it.

Quick Reply: Broke something this weekend :(