S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Buddy Club RS EVO Damper Kit

Old 01-24-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buddy Club RS EVO Damper Kit

I need some info about these paticular coilovers. They are fairly cheap compared to jrz, moton, and ohlins but I needed something for this season and buddy club has a great reputation and I am very excited about running there coils. Hopefully there are people who have some expierince with these coilovers so I can get some feedback. I will be going for a full race build but on a low budget , I can get these coilovers for a good price which is why I am considering them. Thanks alot and hope to have some feedback from you guys.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:46 PM

Whats dirt cheap?
Old 01-24-2012, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something worth thinking about is how / why the Buddy Clubs are better than a set of custom-valved Koni yellows with coilover sleeves on them. I think most people on this forum would argue that the Konis would be a better option than the Buddy Clubs.

Interesting reading if you haven't seen it already:
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html
Old 01-24-2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Something worth thinking about is how / why the Buddy Clubs are better than a set of custom-valved Koni yellows with coilover sleeves on them. I think most people on this forum would argue that the Konis would be a better option than the Buddy Clubs.

Interesting reading if you haven't seen it already:
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

I think konis are good but I think bryan wants to know about he buddy club race coils due to the fact he is getting it for Dirt Cheap. I Know someone who runs the buddy club n spec and they are very happy with them. The race coils might be good.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:28 PM

I know he wants to know about Buddy Club "coils". To summarize the links I sent -- Japanese dampers are crap. That's a gross generalization, but one that he backed with credible data, and one that I think many / most people on this forum would agree with. Dirt cheap crap is still crap.

Also, I don't know what "dirt cheap" is, but I bet that with patience one could find used off-the-shelf Konis, coilover sleeves, and race springs for around $500 or $600, which is dirt cheap by race parts standards.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 PM

Back in the day I had some Buddy Club RSD for my Acura RSXs which I did numerous track weekends with. The things were around 3 seconds per lap faster than stock on a 1:28 track. Note that I'm not saying a better damper couldn't have been ever faster, but they still improved the stock setup immensely.

The adjustment knobs on them (rebound only if I recall correctly) worked well, and I was able to dial in the balance at turn in (at first I had it set to oversteer too much). The levels of damping seemed appropriate for the spring rate, however if there was one complaint, I would say that the high-speed damping was a bit too harsh.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:48 PM

Uh... original poster, when were you going to disclose that you're sponsored by Buddy Club?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Probably how he's getting them for dirt cheap. I only know one person that tracked them personally, which is Mark Tsai (colatkitty). He actually said the dampers were quite good, they are triple adjustable, but that the spring rates were too soft for his liking. They are 10 kg/mm springs, versus the TEIN SRC 16 kg/mm springs that he used on his S2K.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 PM

I'm sure you're sponsor is thrilled about you advertising that running the Jap coils isn't the smartest move. Looks like two smart moves in one place!
Old 01-26-2012, 01:25 PM

While we're giving feedback, the J-word you used is considered a derogatory term for Japanese people, roughly analogous to the N-word for black people. Everyone's level of political correctness varies, but as a rule of thumb, you might want to avoid running down your sponsor's product *and* referring to them using insulting slurs on one thread.

Quick Reply: Buddy Club RS EVO Damper Kit