S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Built in roll bar

Old 02-10-2001, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the Porsche Boxster came out the PCA rejected the roll bar because it was too low for many drivers. Is the S2000 roll bar acceptable for Drivers Ed or other track events?
Old 02-11-2001, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some tracks do have issues with the stock bar, particularly if you are tall enough that your head is even with or above the level of the bar. I believe that some organization has a rule that the top of the bar must be at least 2" above the top of your helmeted head. (I'm sure someone else will clarify that)

A better bolt in bar to replace the stock unit is definitely needed for track days. I don't want to put in a full cage just for lapping sessions.

UL
Old 02-12-2001, 07:41 AM

All the tracks I've spoke with around the midwest require the roll bar must be at least 2 inches above your helmet, or you can have a hard top that "locks down."

I'm not sure how much protection the hard top would be, but at least it would keep rocks and stuff from flying into you if you flipped over.

I want to do the hard top, but the price is really high. I've looked into roll bar solutions, but I haven't found one that is removable like I want.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Take care,
Andrew
Old 02-12-2001, 08:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While races and most track events require roll bars that meet certain criteria, some driver's education track events do not require roll bars. I have partcipated in several events that do not require, but strongly receommend, roll bars that extend 2" above the driver's helmet.

I'd be very interested in an aftermarket bar that allows the top to function normally.
Old 02-12-2001, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by CoralDoc
I'd be very interested in an aftermarket bar that allows the top to function normally.
Check out this thread: http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=6532

Andrew
Old 02-12-2001, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by indys2k
Check out this thread: http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=6532

Andrew
Thanks Andrew! I remember that thread, but didn't think anything was fully resolved. I'll contact Giampero regarding the importation of options from J's and Cusco and report back here.

Cheers,

Joshua
Old 02-13-2001, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking over the replies on this subject because I will need a Roll Bar soon. As soon as I have the manufacturer contact info I will post another reply. There is a guy in Ohio that has made a beautiful Roll Bar for the S2000. The configuration is very much like stock- rounded hoops over the driver's and passenger's seatbacks and then a straight horizontal bar that ties the 2 hoops together. The hoops mount directly into the OEM mounting points and the installation is sweet, looking almost like stock and strong enough to meet the requirements of Driving Schools.
More to come!

Triple-H
HOOD
Old 02-13-2001, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by CoralDoc

Thanks Andrew! I remember that thread, but didn't think anything was fully resolved. I'll contact Giampero regarding the importation of options from J's and Cusco and report back here.

Cheers,

Joshua
Joshua:

No problem. I'm very interested in what you find out.

Take care,
Andrew
Old 02-13-2001, 12:48 PM

I received an email from Giampiero who is interested in supporting our cause. He mentioned that the bar pictured on the white car is a Cusco product. He has received about 10 emails expressing interest in one, and sounds willing to put together a group buy. He is awaiting more information on the bar such as price, estimated shipping cost, availability, weight, reversability, etc.

Triple-H, the bar you mentioned sounds intriguing - does it sit higher than the stock hoops?
Old 02-26-2001, 06:30 PM

I've also independently reseasrched a roll bar for the S. The only manufacturer I 've found is Cusco. Giampiero indicated that 2 have been ordered, so perhaps more detailed specs will be available when they arrive!

BTW, Giampiero also indicated that the majority of the group buy savings would be on shipping costs. Possibly $380, if 5 or more buy.

Thanks, David

Quick Reply: Built in roll bar