Can I get anymore life out of this tire - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > Special Interest > S2000 Racing and Competition
Reload this Page >

Can I get anymore life out of this tire

Notices
S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Can I get anymore life out of this tire

Old 06-12-2018, 07:16 PM

Default Can I get anymore life out of this tire

I know I am getting close on my RS4s and have a set of 71Rs at the shop ready to go on, I was just hoping to get one more event out of these. The next event is a trackthat is really hard on tires and I didn’t want to wear down a new set of 71Rs, but I feel like I might be about ready to cord my front right tire. I am not squared so I can’t rotate although I guess I could swap fronts and run them backwards. Any thoughts on how close I might be to cording these?
Old 06-12-2018, 08:38 PM

Plenty of tread. Is the track heavier on left or right handers? But those look like mine and they have plenty left to go
Old 06-13-2018, 01:01 AM

I would swap the new tires over. The middle of the tire is fine, but that shoulder is really low. If it is heavy on tire wear because of straight line braking and running a CW configuration you might be good. Few questions I would ask myself before chancing it with those tires: do you trailer the car there (or tire trailer), how far of a drive, do you track there often, and would you be okay if you had to call it a day after 2-3 sessions because the tire became too unsafe? I understand the whole drive em til they cord mentality, but I do not agree with it or like it. It is unsafe for everyone on track.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:43 AM

The track is heavy on right hand corners. I instruct so I am not paying near full price, so if I had to be done after a couple sessions I would be ok with it. But it is a two day event and I drive nearly 3hrs there and back.

I agree it is really low on that shoulder, which is why I can’t tell what I have left. I looked at the tread and actually canceled my appointment to have the tires put on, but now I am second guessing.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:31 AM

I agree the shoulder looks like there's not a lot left. What are the other side tires looking like? Perhaps swap sides? Don't worry about tires being directional as long as you know it won't rain.

Also, if shoulder is that worn and the middle has that much tread left, might be worth trying a few PSI more pressure in the future to get more even wear. A pyrometer would be the best way to determine how much more.

EDIT: just noticed your comment that it's a two day event 3 hours away from home. I would put the new tires on - not worth chancing it.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:54 AM

Send it. Run those bitches down to slicks.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:54 AM

You're fine.

This is how they look when they are almost worn out.

The Following User Says Thank You to the-moss For This Useful Post:
HawkeyeGeoff (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 09:15 AM

More camber
Old 06-13-2018, 09:37 AM

You can run RS4s until they are slick. Make sure your alignment allows for even wear and you're fine. The shoulder does seem more worn out. Pressures too low in the streets? Do you daily them a lot? Run higher pressures at the track, that could help. Also, you can flip them, if you want 100% return on them but youll have to spend a bit $$

Even if you end up on the cord, you can still drive home. It wont explode. I've ran michelins at 300kmh and had them changed the following week. Shat myself when I saw they were corded.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Chibo View Post
More camber
You think more camber based on that uneven wear?

The only time I drive on the street is too and from the track. Admittedly I have forgot to pressure back up before heading home a few times.

I want to say I have around 20hrs on the tires, I was hoping to get more. I went with 71rs in hopes of making it to the end of the season, which would be roughly 20hrs, I don’t think the 71rs will make it if I swap now.

Quick Reply: Can I get anymore life out of this tire

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands