S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Can I still be competitive with OEM 3pt belts?

Old 03-06-2018, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I still be competitive with OEM 3pt belts?

I only ask because I'm hesitant to cut up my CR to install a proper roll bar and 6 pt harness. The goal is to go Sub 2s at Buttonwillow running CW13 with my current set up: Square 255 RE71s, Ohlins DFV 12K/10K, I/HFC/E, etc. For reference, I've tracked this car at SOW twice now and have hit 126:xx both times running CW. My next mod which I'm already gathering the parts for is a Recaro PP and PCI mount.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:21 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CR295
I only ask because I'm hesitant to cut up my CR to install a proper roll bar and 6 pt harness. The goal is to go Sub 2s at Buttonwillow running CW13 with my current set up: Square 255 RE71s, Ohlins DFV 12K/10K, I/HFC/E, etc. For reference, I've tracked this car at SOW twice now and have hit 126:xx both times running CW. My next mod which I'm already gathering the parts for is a Recaro PP and PCI mount.
what you do for safety is your personal choice, no one can make that decision for you. I can say that I was in a very similar place, where my goal was fun and learning, which evolved to chasing time. I had a moment where I found myself clearly driving at 10/10 in situations where if something happened it wasn’t going to be good. That is when I decided I wasn’t being fair to my family.

I can can say that I had myself convinced the factory rollover was safe, then I removed it to install a rollbar and realized the hoops are 2” lower than the plastics and they are a bit of a joke when compared to a proper rollbar. That said you do have a hardtop, I did not.

As as far as your plan, I am not sure the seat adds any safety, depending how the OEM belt routes it may actually be less safe. If you want to get lower a good alternative is the BYS rail that lowers the OEM seat (I actually have one I will be selling). If you want to be tighter in the seat Modifry made a lock that worked great, he doesn’t anymore but maybe you can find one. If you do decide to go with the seat be sure to check that the PP will work if you ever do decide to go with harness. They fit great in the car, but the harness holes are limiting for taller people.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:17 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Sounds like you're really pushing yourself and the car .......
Old 03-07-2018, 03:24 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

I did OEM 3 points for the first few years I had the car, but once I started to be one of the faster guys at the track I felt I couldn't go any faster until I got a roll bar. It got to the point I started to lift on some corners that I felt a little hesitant to go 10/10 on. Several guys at the track came up to me to tell me to do the same thing.

As for your case, I'm not sure I'd have the balls to cut a CR. If you do go the roll bar route, remove your interior and store it somewhere. Don't cut it up to fit around the roll bar. Other than that, it's pretty easy to remove assuming you don't foam the backing plates.

Have you thought about getting a second S2000 just for track purposes? I know it's not required but your car is worth so damn much!
Old 03-07-2018, 05:16 AM

“Value” is subjective, I have seen guys cut up $100k+ cars to track. I personally wouldn’t own a track car that I wasn’t willing to walk away from.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:17 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Shoudn't make much difference. Couple years back I ran a Z06 that the power seat had broken for someone who was a giant. I ran with the 3pt belt and every pillow from the hotel room stacked behind me. My knee hurt from rubbing raw on the speaker grill but other then that it was fine.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
Shoudn't make much difference. Couple years back I ran a Z06 that the power seat had broken for someone who was a giant. I ran with the 3pt belt and every pillow from the hotel room stacked behind me. My knee hurt from rubbing raw on the speaker grill but other then that it was fine.
Everything was fine, but you didn’t hit anything!
Old 03-07-2018, 07:10 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

As others have mentioned, this is a question only you can answer yourself. As far as being able to run a fast time, I don't think the lack of harnesses/fixed back seat will make a huge difference, as long as the lack of safety won't affect you mentally and cause you to hold back and not push as hard as you otherwise would.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:21 AM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

I am in a very similar situation right now with some caveats. I have a CR that I'm tracking relatively frequently but it does have 145k miles so its not in collector condition. It is such a fantastic car in stock form and I'd like to keep it in mostly stock form but I'd like to upgrade all the safety features...
On the other hand I have a less reliable AP1 that is a salvage title that I don't really give a shit about. I've just installed a Bride Vios into the CR and it makes me want to get harnesses. I feel like the more I track the car the more I'm gambling with safety...

From a monetary standpoint it makes more sense for me to track the AP1 but from a philosophical standpoint it makes more sense for me to track the CR.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Soviet
I am in a very similar situation right now with some caveats. I have a CR that I'm tracking relatively frequently but it does have 145k miles so its not in collector condition. It is such a fantastic car in stock form and I'd like to keep it in mostly stock form but I'd like to upgrade all the safety features...
On the other hand I have a less reliable AP1 that is a salvage title that I don't really give a shit about. I've just installed a Bride Vios into the CR and it makes me want to get harnesses. I feel like the more I track the car the more I'm gambling with safety...

From a monetary standpoint it makes more sense for me to track the AP1 but from a philosophical standpoint it makes more sense for me to track the CR.
I think I would sell the CR and really do the AP1 up right

Quick Reply: Can I still be competitive with OEM 3pt belts?