Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > Special Interest > S2000 Racing and Competition
Reload this Page >

Can an oil cooler effect oil pressure? Low(er) oil pressure issue

S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can an oil cooler effect oil pressure? Low(er) oil pressure issue

Old 01-18-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can an oil cooler effect oil pressure? Low(er) oil pressure issue

I posted this in the FI section (as that's where I normally hang out), but a fellow member suggested that I post up here for more info....

I recently switched my oil cooler setup. I ditched my Setrab oil cooler in favor of the Jackson Racing radiator/oil cooler combo, now I'm seeing lower oil pressure than before.

Cold start oil pressure is ~60psi
Warm idle pressure is 18-22psi
Both of those readings seem normal/good to me. Where I'm seeing a difference is cruising and under load oil pressure

Cruising oil pressure 60-75psi
Under load/Vtec crossover ~40psi

With the Setrab setup I was seeing 80-95psi cruising

So my big question is....can switching from a bar and plate cooler to a flow thru cooler lower my oil pressure?
On the plus side, my oil temps are staying lower/more consistant

Scott-
Old 01-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Community Organizer

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes
Old 01-18-2017, 03:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not surprising to see that result. Notice any difference in your coolant temps so far? Why did you switch from the Setrab setup?

Last edited by sirbikealot7; 01-18-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

is this a problem? does this guy have to worry about it?
Old 01-19-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by sirbikealot7 View Post
Not surprising to see that result. Notice any difference in your coolant temps so far? Why did you switch from the Setrab setup?
I haven't noticed much difference in coolant temps, but I did not have an issue with coolant temps prior to switching to the JR radiator (I was running a Koyo)

My Setrab setup wasn't mounted in an ideal spot, so it wasn't getting much airflow over/thru it (so I was seeing higher oil temps than I was comfortable with). Instead of trying to build air ducts or mount fans on the Setrab unit, I decided to try the JR unit. My car is a weekend cruiser/show car, so keeping the engine compartment clean and uncluttered was a priority.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K-F8 View Post
I haven't noticed much difference in coolant temps, but I did not have an issue with coolant temps prior to switching to the JR radiator (I was running a Koyo)

My Setrab setup wasn't mounted in an ideal spot, so it wasn't getting much airflow over/thru it (so I was seeing higher oil temps than I was comfortable with). Instead of trying to build air ducts or mount fans on the Setrab unit, I decided to try the JR unit. My car is a weekend cruiser/show car, so keeping the engine compartment clean and uncluttered was a priority.
You were seeing oil temps you weren't happy with on a street car..... What exactly were these oil temps you were seeing? Setrab makes a really nice cooler, I don't know what kinda core the JR unit uses, but if your getting an oil pressure drop over a setrab it would concern me a bit.

I'd also suggest sending an oil sample into blackstone. I had quite a bit more oil pressure then you've got and blackstone came back with a bunch of bearing material in the oil. Mine is a K series (but the oil systems are similar), and I was ~90psi at cold start, 50psi at hot idle and 90psi anything over 2k rpm.

Last edited by Mrsideways; 01-19-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mrsideways View Post
You were seeing oil temps you weren't happy with on a street car..... What exactly were these oil temps you were seeing? Setrab makes a really nice cooler, I don't know what kinda core the JR unit uses, but if your getting an oil pressure drop over a setrab it would concern me a bit.
I was seeing 235 after hard pulls....even up to 240-250 on occasion. I run Amsoil dominator racing oil, so I think the oil can handle those temps....just worried me a bit. Now I haven't seen anything over 220, and oil temps def recover faster
Old 01-19-2017, 11:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Those oil temps and your concerns make me laugh especially on a weekend/cruiser car.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:03 PM
Community Organizer

Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Yeah isn't 280F when most syn oils start to break down some? 200F is like the min heat you want just to safely run the motor through its paces. 235-250F would seem right in the middle of the good range. But I'm no oil expert.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Those oil temps and your concerns make me laugh especially on a weekend/cruiser car.
Glad I can amuse you......are these temps not high enough to worry about?

Quick Reply: Can an oil cooler effect oil pressure? Low(er) oil pressure issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands