S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Comptech swaybar stuff...

Old 02-08-2001, 06:25 PM
j2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is mostly directed at those of you who got one of the Comptech "prototypes".... I thought I'd share a few thoughts about how my install went.

First off, yup, it the arms sure are a bit shorter than the stock/Mugen bar. So much shorter in fact, that I was really concerned about using the stock end links. It seemed possible that the stock links might bind. I considered actually trying to test as see if they would be okay throughout the range of suspension travel, but quite frankly that would have been more work than I wanted to do . I was considering using some 3/8" spherical bearings anyways, and this concern drove me to that end right away. This also helped out for my other concern area about this bar....

There seems to be a bit of "twist" in my bar. That is, the arms are not exactly co-planar. Its not a lot, but it is noticable when the bar is mounted to the frame brackets. With the stock (fixed, equal length) end links, I'd be worried about creating a pre-load condition that I dont want. Another reason for going with the rod ends.

Also, I had to trim the supplied bushings... part of the bushing interfered with part of the bracket extending from the frame, and would keep the bushing from sitting squarely on the bracket.

So there you go.

Who else has actually installed the Comptech bar? Other thoughts?

-
jason keeney
Old 02-08-2001, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I said, it was a severe PITA installing the bar. The biggest problem was that the stock link was basically right up against the shocks. I was a bit concerned that the link would rub on the shock during travel, but fortunately the link moves away from the shock once you compress the travel.

I didn't have any problem with the bushings. We had used identical bushings on the Mugen bar we had.

As far as some twist to the bar, there may have been a tiny bit, but nothing worth worrying about. On the other hand I was thinking the some type of heim joint set up would work well.

We're hoping to test the bar on Sunday, but there is a chance of snow so we may have to race the Audi A4 quattro on Blizzaks!!

Ron