S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Concerns with cage/helmet clearances

Old 05-27-2018, 06:26 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Concerns with cage/helmet clearances

So just got my car back from getting caged, and I had to adjust my seat and rails to avoid my helmet contacting the bar (see pic), I've got about 3mm of clearance now, but am concerned that once I get padding installed I'm going to be bumping my head on this thing. Talked with the cage fabricator and he's more than willing to adjust the bars, but I'm wondering in the meantime if it's safe to put onto the track as is (with padding of course). Opinions welcome.

Attachment 154932
Old 05-27-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

That looks very low to me. I'd err on the side of caution, head injuries are no joke.
The following users liked this post:
RedCelica (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 07:25 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Im sorry buddy, I'm less and less impressed with Troy's work. First, he forgot my harness bar, then he sold you on the A-pillar upgrade and didn't install it.

As for this halo bar situation. He had to replace my halo bar because it was was too low and close to the inside. I sort of understood he didn't want to cut the CF hardtop, and I'm glad he allowed me to cut it myself. But, your hardtop was already gutted when he duplicated the mistake he mad on mine. Worse yet, he told you the halo bar is okay after you sat in the car and expressed concern about it.

That halo bar needs to run along the outside skin of the hardtop (high and away from your head). I cut away the inner liner on my hardtop and now the bar runs between the outer skin and liner would have been (it encroaches less than actual hard top)
RedCelica (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 08:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That looks to be not only too low but also to far towards the center of the car. I would be worried about head/shoulder to ground contact in a rollover through the side window area. (especially without a containment seat)

When I went to drop off my car and meet Kirk Racing in person he sent me back home with instructions for me to cut additional material in this area after he realized I was 6ft tall. I'd strongly recommend selling off the OEM in favor of a carbon top to cut up as aggressively as possible. (or gut the OEM if you are a baller)

Concerns with cage/helmet clearances-v2y4bkl.jpg
Concerns with cage/helmet clearances-ljvlfe8.jpg
Concerns with cage/helmet clearances-qtuccyq.jpg
Concerns with cage/helmet clearances-leq0hah.jpg

Last edited by decepticondc5; 05-28-2018 at 09:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by decepticondc5:
Chibo (05-31-2018), RedCelica (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 11:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by decepticondc5
I'd strongly recommend selling off the OEM in favor of a carbon top to cut up as aggressively as possible. (or gut the OEM if you are a baller)
Is there a preferred carbon top for this? I've heard the Forbidden top is so-so.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by imstimpy
Is there a preferred carbon top for this? I've heard the Forbidden top is so-so.

I have the Forbidden. Its crap but it works well enough with race brackets and being clever with foam and tape. My hardtop is notched quite a bit for the cage and to give me as much room as possible. I put expanding spray foam into my hardtop to give it back some rigidity so it isn't flappy.

Last edited by Sickdayracing; 05-28-2018 at 11:31 AM.
RedCelica (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
So just got my car back from getting caged, and I had to adjust my seat and rails to avoid my helmet contacting the bar (see pic), I've got about 3mm of clearance now, but am concerned that once I get padding installed I'm going to be bumping my head on this thing. Talked with the cage fabricator and he's more than willing to adjust the bars, but I'm wondering in the meantime if it's safe to put onto the track as is (with padding of course). Opinions welcome.

This is way too low there is is no reason that the top side bars shouldn't be triangulated with the main hoop/cross bar for strength.

Who did this cage?
RedCelica (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 12:18 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Sickdayracing
This is way too low there is is no reason that the top side bars shouldn't be triangulated with the main hoop/cross bar for strength.

Who did this cage?
Troy Wilson in Davidson, NC. He did Todd, Joel, Will, and Charlie's cages too, among a few others.

Just posted my OE top FS.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:49 PM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

dan_uk got knocked out after he crashed and his head hit that bar in his car... definitely get it fixed.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by imstimpy
Its definitely so-so but their black Friday sale on the double carbon unit is hard to beat from a $/lb perspective. Its what I used in those pictures. I didn't install any of the seals or add spray foam and its been okay doing ~135-140 at RA so far.

Quick Reply: Concerns with cage/helmet clearances