S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Cooling advice for boost on the track

Old 04-20-2016, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling advice for boost on the track

Hi guys,

I did a two day hpde this past weekend. I am supercharged and had a lot of overheating issues (max H on the oem gauge). Temps would rise when I laid on the throttle but through the corners with moderate throttle the temps would drop. This is with heater blowing on max. I rebled my radiator to make sure there weren't any bubbles. I am running a koyo radiator but everything else stock. Maybe my oem thermostat may perhaps be stuck and not flowing coolant properly.

I am thinking about going with a colder thermostat, fan switch, 13 inch high output SPAL, and a vented hood. Would this solve my issues? Or do you think there may be an underlying issue here.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:25 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by B Ma
Hi guys,

I did a two day hpde this past weekend. I am supercharged and had a lot of overheating issues (max H on the oem gauge). Temps would rise when I laid on the throttle but through the corners with moderate throttle the temps would drop. This is with heater blowing on max. I rebled my radiator to make sure there weren't any bubbles. I am running a koyo radiator but everything else stock. Maybe my oem thermostat may perhaps be stuck and not flowing coolant properly.

I am thinking about going with a colder thermostat, fan switch, 13 inch high output SPAL, and a vented hood. Would this solve my issues? Or do you think there may be an underlying issue here.
Fan shouldn't be on when on track. Any air coming in the front over 20 mph will exceed nearly anything fan can do, fact that the fan's on means it's already hotter then the computer wants and it's trying to cool it's self. Colder Thermostat won't help other then the fact that it will allow the water to cool more when your not on it therefore buying you a bit more time before it gets to hot when your in boost. This is common on boosted track S2000's. Fact that you have temp rise the moment you accelerate makes me worry about the head gasket, go to autozone and grab a block test kit and do that just to rule it out first. Otherwise a cross flow radiator will most likely fix it, Koyo/mishimoto etc etc don't offer much of an advantage over the stock radiator. PM me if you want more details.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I think there is an underlying issue. Air to air intercooler on the supercharger?
Old 04-20-2016, 09:33 AM

Mrsideways, I will shoot you a PM.

KingTut, yeah it has an intercooler. It is a bit thick so it may be blocking a lot of air flow as well :/
Old 04-20-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Do you have an oil cooler?
Are you using the stock radiator?

These two items will help dramatically with engine cooling.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I run a stock size koyo rad. the oem water to oil heat exchanger and 20psi on track with no temp issues. something is up if your overheating
Old 04-20-2016, 11:00 AM

I do not run an oil cooler and I have a stock sized koyo radiator.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rrthorne8
I run a stock size koyo rad. the oem water to oil heat exchanger and 20psi on track with no temp issues. something is up if your overheating
While your coolant temps might be okay, I bet your oil temps are extremely high. I was hitting over 270F oil temps with a Koyo radiator and completely stock power-wise. More power = more heat, so your oil temps are sure to be cooking.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:23 PM

For my issues on a boosted setup, would a cross flow radiator and an oil cooler suffice to keep me cool to run 25minute sessions?
Old 04-20-2016, 06:31 PM

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Is the thermostat good?
cross flow radiator will not help if you have no air flow. But i highly recommend it!

I suggest converting to an aftercooler with a thinner water to air heat exchanger mounted on an angle in front.

Quick Reply: Cooling advice for boost on the track