S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Cooling Ideas for track cars

Old 12-08-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by warmmilk
based on what I've seen on here, NA s2k's get in the 290's for oil temp on track, thats too hot in my book... I mean technically its still within the spec for most quality synthetics, but being somewhere in the 220-250 range would be a lot better

interesting. In SoCal temps can get over 110 f. I never passed 250 on my temp gauge. No cooler here. But I guess it's a mod worth doing to keep ur state of mind always positive.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen

interesting. In SoCal temps can get over 110 f. I never passed 250 on my temp gauge. No cooler here. But I guess it's a mod worth doing to keep ur state of mind always positive.
maybe you're not driving hard enough

haha, just messing with you... idk, I guess I could be wrong, I was going off what I read here, not personal experience. I do get in the 290's in my NC Miata even when temps are in the 70's. weird thing is I kinda level off in the 290's, even when ambient temps are in the 90's
Old 12-08-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Well that's a miata. Honda has better engineering lol. Try it first b4 spending 500$+ on a cooler. Run some open track events and see what temps you run. I'd suggest that first.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:40 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

This is undoubtedly hs its exit under the car. That is a low-pressure area. Using the fan to reverse that worked for the Brabham F1 car, but will undoubtedly damage the radiator, a much worse problem.

There quite a few threads on v-mounted radiators and intercoolers. However, other than the Top Fuel, and including Andrew Wojteczko's Project S2000, none seem to have done the complete sealing of the ducts from inlet to exhaust. By getting the flow into the radiator from a sealed high pressure area and exhausting it into a low pressure area (usually near the leading edge of the hood) gets the best flow, at least at speed. The more flow the smaller a radiator that is needed, with less drag on the car. Wojteczko used a Laminova oil/water heat exchanger for oil cooling of his turbocharged engine.

Higher engine temps come at the cost of power. There are refrigeration units that plug into the cooling system to chill coolant between runs. However, although made illegal, there was a move to run the engines hotter. The synthetic oils could handle the heat; keep in mind that the oil temp on the bearings, lifters, etc. is hotter than the oil entering the engine. In turn, it would be used with a much higher water pressure, maybe 50psi. The idea is hotter coolant would require a smaller radiator and with it less drag. The NASCAR folks are always taping up their grills whenever possible.

For classes like those in NASA based on wt/hp ratios, lower drag is free power, as long as the tested power represents the car on the track or in tech inspection after the race.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
This is undoubtedly hs its exit under the car. That is a low-pressure area. Using the fan to reverse that worked for the Brabham F1 car, but will undoubtedly damage the radiator, a much worse problem.

There quite a few threads on v-mounted radiators and intercoolers. However, other than the Top Fuel, and including Andrew Wojteczko's Project S2000, none seem to have done the complete sealing of the ducts from inlet to exhaust. By getting the flow into the radiator from a sealed high pressure area and exhausting it into a low pressure area (usually near the leading edge of the hood) gets the best flow, at least at speed. The more flow the smaller a radiator that is needed, with less drag on the car. Wojteczko used a Laminova oil/water heat exchanger for oil cooling of his turbocharged engine.

Higher engine temps come at the cost of power. There are refrigeration units that plug into the cooling system to chill coolant between runs. However, although made illegal, there was a move to run the engines hotter. The synthetic oils could handle the heat; keep in mind that the oil temp on the bearings, lifters, etc. is hotter than the oil entering the engine. In turn, it would be used with a much higher water pressure, maybe 50psi. The idea is hotter coolant would require a smaller radiator and with it less drag. The NASCAR folks are always taping up their grills whenever possible.

For classes like those in NASA based on wt/hp ratios, lower drag is free power, as long as the tested power represents the car on the track or in tech inspection after the race.
I plan on having a heavy duty grill/grate to prevent sucking up rocks and stuff and sending it into the radiator. you bring up a good point about reversing flow... throwing a fan in there, I'm kinda setting it up against the natural airflow and can actually reduce cooling effectiveness... and possibly cause more drag... now I'm thinking NACA duct on the bottom of the car and angle the oil cooler up a bit so the fan is working with the airflow, not against it...

the difference between NASCAR and me is the speed gained by less drag of a smaller cooling system is worth the reduced engine life... they have the budget for constantly getting new engines. I'll gladly take a bit for drag from a little bit overkill cooling setup but to extend engine life a bit. I'm sure most people here are in the same boat...

Laminova heat exchangers are cool and all, as long as you have the radiator to support the extra load... Price seams to have come down quite a bit since I last looked at them though...
Old 12-08-2017, 05:22 PM

You need to look at your application and your budget. These are at best 8-year-old cars of a 20-year-old design. They are still pretty unique in their price range. Other than a custom, fairly big dollar forced induction setup, I can't imagine ducting radiators from under the car. Not worth the effort.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:56 PM

Heat can also be reduced. Lateral (or vertical in engines with the appropriate duty and maintenance cycles) deduce friction by allowing less piston ring tension. Coatings on the cylinder head and piston can reduce heat transfer to the engine, sending it out the exhaust. They may also enhance performance by maintaining pressure and temperature in the exhaust, which is supersonic as when the exhaust valve starts to open. Thermal coatings on exhaust components including turbo housings they keep exhaust heat out of the engine compartment. On an SBC Chevy, it lets the spark plugs be removed for checking the mixture without burning your hands.

Update: While SCCA prohibits coatings unless specifically allowed, NASA doesn't seem to have any rule on them.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:26 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

In 85* ambient weather here in the PNW, I reached 298* as measured in the pan with Aem Infinity and associated sensors while running Rotella T6 5w-40. Location of the sensor makes all the difference.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:06 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Pretty much stock except wheels/tires and suspension, ambient ~92-95F at Buttonwillow, Oil temps hit 270+ as measured at the oil filter before I backed off. Remember the S2000 uses oil piston squirters to cool the pistons. It goes without saying that cooler oil does a better job of cooling the pistons which has the knock-on effect of reducing the likely-hood of detonation. Probably helps increase charge air density too.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you guys that are having oil temp issues running aftermarket radiators as well? I changed to the Mishimoto radiator and the cooling is obviously much better and should help with oil temps as well, but I dont have an oil temp guage unfortunately...

Quick Reply: Cooling Ideas for track cars