S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Corner Balance Question

Old 06-12-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Corner Balance Question

Need some experienced advice from track day experts. I want to get my 08 CR corner balanced. I just installed a coilover suspension and a track-oriented alignment has been completed. I'm getting the corner balance done by a local expert who is reputable and experienced corner balancing S2000's. He mentioned that adjustable rear end links will really help with the corner balance to adjust rear sway bar pre-load. Are the absolutely necessary or can it be balanced without them as I have stock CR sway bar in the rear. I'm in to do it correctly, but thought I would ask the racing community for their expertise. If necessary, comments and advise on quality end links would be appreciated.

In the meantime, I'm reading up as much as I can on the Rob's thread and others to get educated. Thanks in advance for posting up responses.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:02 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

As a side note, who are you working with? I'm local and would like to have my car set up, as well. PM if you don't want to be public.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:32 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
As a side note, who are you working with? I'm local and would like to have my car set up, as well. PM if you don't want to be public.
Leroy at FlatOut Motorsworx.

https://g.co/kgs/OBZC7F
The following users liked this post:
Chibo (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 08:49 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Typically you would want to corner balance your car first and then align it because your alignment will change after a corner balance typically. Your going to end up with the pass side lower then the driver side 4-5mm likely. I never worried about compensating the slight pre load on the sway with adjustable end links. I guess it depends on how severe your ride height differential is. But seems to be splitting hairs to me. Some guys who are really OCD might opt for taking to that level. But its certainly not required to get/be corner balanced.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last time I corner balanced and aligned my Miata I couldn't even get the end link to line up with the hole when I was done without hanging on the sway bar. Mine are adjustable and I had to lengthen it to make it line up. Granted it had been over a year since it had been done but there was only one race during that time and the rest of the time it just sat. I would say if the guy doing the work is respected and he thinks you're going to need them to go ahead and do it. Also I second that the alignment should be done after the corner balance. Depending on how technical you wanna get they should be done at the same time but that really is splitting hairs and I've never bothered doing it that way or checking the balance after the alignment.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:46 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I think my buddy Brian was asking me about this for you. The answer is make a set of adjustable rear end links with parts from McMaster-Carr or take the easy button and PM anorexicpoodle on here and buy a set from him. The correct order is:

1. Disconnect sway bar
2. Corner balance
3. Reconnect sway bar with adjustable end links at ride height with no preload
4. Go get alignment
Old 06-13-2017, 07:47 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

They are not necessary. when I did my corner balance a while back I had no issues with a lightly modified S2k.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The stiffer the sway bars and springs, the more important adjustable end links become because they can impart more preload than a softer suspension. You can get by with one adjustable link for the front and back.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:14 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob
The stiffer the sway bars and springs, the more important adjustable end links become because they can impart more preload than a softer suspension. You can get by with one adjustable link for the front and back.
Makes sense. I'm on factory sway bars.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:06 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

With factory bars you should be fine without adjustable end links.

Quick Reply: Corner Balance Question