S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   Corner exit oversteer (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/corner-exit-oversteer-241824/)

TrueDrezzer 10-11-2004 06:31 PM

Corner exit oversteer

Most of my training has taught me that once you're safely past the apex and are putting more and more throttle down, slip that occurs is normally understeer. However, I've noticed more and more that I get power oversteer in similar situations with the S2k on the track.

Basically, I'll hit the apex and start to apply power with no problems. Nearing the exit, the car will skip out a bit, which slows me down as I have to correct.

Granted, the N

davepk 10-11-2004 06:35 PM

Sounds like you need some aero on the back end. The other thing that really helps is removal of the rear sway bar and increase in the rear spring rate to compensate. This also has the added benifit of preserving the diff from damage due to rear inside wheel lift.

The aero will help a little bit. The sway bar removal will transform your ability to apply power on exit.

rlaifatt 10-11-2004 06:45 PM

Sounds like you are having the whole rear end skip out though, not just inside wheel spin, though preventing this would increase overall grip. Is you suspension stock or modified?

mikegarrison 10-11-2004 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=TrueDrezzer,Oct 11 2004, 07:31 PM] What is funny is that on the short but bumpy corners, for example the uphill righthander Br

shaggy 10-11-2004 08:08 PM

I know of what you speak.

Granted that I drive a car where I can't change the spring rates (B Stock autocross car), but I generally solve this problem by increasing the rebound resistance in the front dampers.

As you apply power and shift the weight rearward, a stiffer rebound setting in the front dampers will take some of the bite out of the front end of the car, allowing more neutral handling during the application of power.

Andy H.

TrueDrezzer 10-12-2004 10:46 AM

Stock suspension with S-02s. I'm not really having any inside wheel spin problems on slow corners. Rather, the LSD is working, and shoving power to the outside wheel. However, the rear end of the car gets light, and as my speed increases, it slips out.

The only aero I have is the stock rear spoiler ;) But yes, the rear end does feel a bit too light. Most of these problem corners are slightly uphill. On the downhill off camber corners, I'm always very conservative, and never have this problem.

///Robin

twohoos 10-12-2004 12:46 PM

I think you've discovered what makes the S so "fun" at the limit in sweepers. :) Basically, it's the one-two punch of aero lift and poor bumpsteer. (Not to mention the sucker punch of the torsen LSD! ;) )

The paths to salvation are several:
- Wing
- Bumpsteer kit
- No rear swaybar
- Big ol' hairy attachments ;)

Good luck!

Ludedude 10-12-2004 12:50 PM

:stupid:

TrueDrezzer 10-12-2004 01:51 PM

I am in the Enzo school of thinking that good driving can make up for deficiencies in the car, so I'll be keeping stock until I upgrade myself first ;)

Yes, the car is definitely "fun." in these corners ;) It's just a lot more fun when I can anticipate when something is going to happen. This is slowly improving, of course.

You mentioned the LSD. How different would the car behave if it had an open diff at these "bumpsteer near the corner exit" situations?

///Robin

mikegarrison 10-12-2004 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by TrueDrezzer,Oct 12 2004, 02:51 PM
You mentioned the LSD. How different would the car behave if it had an open diff at these "bumpsteer near the corner exit" situations?

You wouldn't be able to put down enough power to get into the situation.