S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Data logging without aftermarket ECU

Old 06-13-2016, 11:10 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Data logging without aftermarket ECU

Question.

I have been thinking of logging coolant temps and other things while on track. I see an ultragauge which displays live data but no logging. I only want to log when i press record but i havent been able to find a device.

Anyone have a cheap suggestion besides stand alone ecu?
Old 06-13-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

OBD plug with bluetooth/wifi and use your smartphone for logging.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/115...e-even-better/

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/115...platforms-lol/
Old 06-13-2016, 12:13 PM

problem is finding something that works with my damn iphone.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

There are really cheap chinese plugs available that should work but these might be a bit more reliable
http://www.plxdevices.com/Kiwi-3-OBD...7346002832.htm
https://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/...e/obdlink-mxwf
Old 06-13-2016, 02:46 PM

Thanks, The kiwi 3 might be my bet.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:38 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

FWIW if your car is an 06+ then you will get excellent performance from most OBD based loggers, remember pre 06+ will only get 1 sample per second and you will only get what the ECU sees.

For coolant temp this is fine (though ive never worried much about coolant temps, if the gauge is normal, then all is good. If its not normal I get out of it).

The stuff that you would really need better than 1hz is pretty much everything else.

TPS if overlaid with accelerometers and GPS can be good but if the accelerometer and arent 10hz+ it will be very inaccurate (more so if you dont have a GPS solution capable of getting you within a foot).

RPM at 1hz is useless. At 8k the engine completes 133 rotations per second. If you are looking for a rough guess, then maybe, but for much else like finding entery/exit speed differences the variance will be too much to make any decent comparisons with.

Battery/IAT/Speed is about all the rest you will get on the standard OBD port.

The data that you really need at 10hz though is oil pressure / temp and the ecu simply doesnt measure that. That is the data that can move quickly enough it can drop mid-corner and return causing engine damage that you wont notice because youre too busy driving. This bit will require passing it through a standalone or right into a logger if you want to collect it.

On a budget I would take a hard look at the race capture pro project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...it/description

It should be nearing maturity/shipping. The predecessor has been used by hundreds of LeMons teams and they love it.

I used a bunch of android solutions and in the end they always left me frustrated. The reliability / consistency of the data never was good enough, and too often it wouldn't work for some fiddly reason, usually I found out afterwards when I wanted to get something from it.

If there is an option for spending a bit, I am a huge fan of the AIM Solo DL. It can still pull right from the ECU, at whatever rate the ECU can output, the upside is its 100x the predictive / lap timer that any android solution will be. The analysis software is hands down the best ive used and it can be extended to do anything.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
For coolant temp this is fine (though ive never worried much about coolant temps, if the gauge is normal, then all is good. If its not normal I get out of it).
I disagree about the gauge being a good indicator of temps.
IIRC, the "normal" range of 7-8 bars on an AP2 is ~180-230F. An AP2 "normal" bar of 3 goes up to 235F.

Thats way hotter than I would ever prefer my motor to get, Honda has the cooling fans come on around 210F, which tells me Honda didn't want the motor getting much hotter than that.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:15 AM

i plan on starting to log with my ipad i hope. I will be looking into the Kiwi adapter. No plans for anymore track this year so i have a long time to play with it.

Time to find a app to play with.

I am curious if i can run a loggin app on my phone with harry in 95+ heat.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperASR
Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle' timestamp='1465864708' post='23992536
I disagree about the gauge being a good indicator of temps.
IIRC, the "normal" range of 7-8 bars on an AP2 is ~180-230F. An AP2 "normal" bar of 3 goes up to 235F.

Thats way hotter than I would ever prefer my motor to get, Honda has the cooling fans come on around 210F, which tells me Honda didn't want the motor getting much hotter than that.
I guess what I was indicating is any movement on the coolant gauge is bad. My datalog shows coolant temps varying from 196-201 in a lap around ACS in hot weather which is about the most abusive environment i encounter (100+ degrees with sustained 50 sec at 100% throttle). As you indicated, if it moves 1 bar, its bad. At normal i am on the low side of half. If it is anything except that, I shut it down.

Data logging without aftermarket ECU-mpqzb1k.png

I dont have any actual visibility into the coolant temp in the car, nor do i really want to know. Just care about good or bad when driving. Ill leave the numbers for when im in the pit.

Quick Reply: Data logging without aftermarket ECU