S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

DBW Rev Limiter

Old 07-31-2018, 03:18 PM
Jub

Received 384 Likes on 308 Posts
Default DBW Rev Limiter

I've been autocrossing the last few years in my AP1 and have done a few events in my new to me AP2. This past weekend, the course had me hitting the limiter pretty hard in 2nd a few times. The limiter on the AP2 felt really hard and like it fell on its face. I didn't have much time to try to ride the limiter but it felt like it wouldn't have let me ride it. It felt like it fell flat on its face, was going to let me drop a few hundred RPM's before giving me any power back. Is there a different type of limiter implemented in the DBW cars then the AP1 or anything that would cause this?

I can't tell if I'm being paranoid or if it felt really off. I've searched a bit and haven't found any difference in the 06+. I'm all caught up on maintenance but haven't changed the plugs yet. I just crossed 90k miles. I figure this is an unrelated note but the point is it is a strong running car.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 2007, I hit the limiter in 2nd all the time at autocross events. Mainly when I run with the Porsche clubs who make really wide open tracks.

Sometimes on certain parts of the track it will just bounce (sometimes I need to ride the limiter until I let off for a turn or finish line) and sometimes (not as frequent) it will fall flat.
I have hit the different limiters during the same lap in different sections of the track.

I haven't had time to think about why it is different sometimes.
It almost seems like sometimes it is just electronically limiting it and sometimes it also cuts fuel, but I am not sure.

Last edited by exigex; 07-31-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:13 PM
Jub

Received 384 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by exigex
On my 2007, I hit the limiter in 2nd all the time at autocross events. Mainly when I run with the Porsche clubs who make really wide open tracks.

Sometimes on certain parts of the track it will just bounce (sometimes I need to ride the limiter until I let off for a turn or finish line) and sometimes (not as frequent) it will fall flat.
I have hit the different limiters during the same lap in different sections of the track.

I haven't had time to think about why it is different sometimes.
It almost seems like sometimes it is just electronically limiting it and sometimes it also cuts fuel, but I am not sure.
Ok, thanks for the feedback. That seems to be exactly what I was experiencing. I couldn't pinpoint what was different in the times it fell flat and when it did it consecutively, I was more worried. It seemed to happen most often when I was on the limiter going down a hill. My old car just never felt like it hit the wall like that, it happily bounced around like anything else I've ever had.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

That is typical. 1st limiter hit lets you ride it, second hit(may possibly be in a certain time frame) is the hard cut/bog that you experienced.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by spaded.racer
That is typical. 1st limiter hit lets you ride it, second hit(may possibly be in a certain time frame) is the hard cut/bog that you experienced.
That's good to know.

I am wondering if it is typical to raise the rev limiter on the AP2 when doing a tune with Hondata, or is it better to leave it where it is unless the motor is built?
I plan on having mine dyno tuned and lower the vtec engagement, I am not sure if I should have the tuner touch the rev limiter though.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:22 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

My FlashPro tuned 2006 has a 3600 rpm VTEC and 8400 rpm rev limiter. Gerby tune, same exhaust as exigen. I think the rev limiter cuts the injectors (not the spark).

My only experience in hitting the limiter is in "normal" driving and with the late gearbox hitting it in 1st and 2d is where I have to be alert as the revs climb fast with the lowered VTEC. I've never ridden the limiter, just shifted or lifted. I put a red line alarm on the car to get some warning when to shift and not bump the limiter. Your application running around parking lots will be different as you're unlikely to shift into 3d. I expect a different rear axle ratio could optimize some of this lower gear racing, it depends on how deep you want to go and what events you run. I've not seen quick change rear axles for our car but haven't spent any time looking for them either.

-- Chuck
Old 08-03-2018, 02:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much fuel where you running. On an autocross you can starve with 3/4 track and it will seem like you are hitting the limiter
Old 08-03-2018, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by ConeKiller2
How much fuel where you running. On an autocross you can starve with 3/4 track and it will seem like you are hitting the limiter
This is something that the S2000s with stiff suspension have reported at my local autocross events. I am going to start making sure that I run a lot of fuel in my tank as I get faster and build to STR spec.

I am wondering what fuel system modifications can be done to avoid this on the AP2 DBW and still be street legal and legal for STR and similar classes.
I have heard that is is a bigger concern on road courses, which I would like to address before I start doing more track days and time trial events.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No legal Avenue in those classes. Simply run a full tank and call it a day
Old 08-06-2018, 08:25 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

It feels like the rev limiter "fell on its face" because acceleration stopped. That's normal and it's not a problem to ride the limiter. No other limiter can "give you more power" than the stock limiter.

Quick Reply: DBW Rev Limiter