S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Discs for Project Mu Racing 999 pads for track days

Old 02-13-2017, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discs for Project Mu Racing 999 pads for track days

Hi everyone, I am planning on hitting a track day in my AP1. My local shop has recommend me to go with Project Mu Racing 999 pads with DBA T3 discs. I'm wondering if anyone have experience using these pads and have any opinions on the combo? I also have a set of new Dixcel FS discs that I actually want to use for this track day but my shop is telling me that Racing 999 pads are too abrasive for the Dixcel core material and they won't last. I'm wondering what you guys think of this? My shop is pretty experienced for prepping track cars but I also would like a 2nd opinion from you guys.

FYI, I will be running A050's on the track.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:52 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Save your money and buy Centric blanks. Buy a couple sets of them so you have spares if you don't do a good enough cool down lap or you end up cracking them. Save those fancy rotors for the track ready car meets/shows.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
Save your money and buy Centric blanks. Buy a couple sets of them so you have spares if you don't do a good enough cool down lap or you end up cracking them. Save those fancy rotors for the track ready car meets/shows.
Agreed

also the project mu 999's are their top of the line race pad. I don't know how much experience you have on track but I really enjoyed their club racer pad. The 999's were significantly more money as well. Shop could be selling you the best of the best parts.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by King Tut
Thanks! I guess centric blanks are similar to OEM replacements? Dixcels are pretty cheap over here- about 500usd for a set of new discs. What's I'm wondering though is there such thing as a pad being too abrasive for the discs. I thought the dixcel FP's are the top of the line stuff and could handle a track day pad like the racing 999 so I don't need to shell out for new dba discs like the shops recommending me.

I think racing 999 is the JDM version of the PMU clubracer pad you have in the states. What do you guys think about them? And just in case- does anyone run these on the street and how streetable are they?

thanks in advance!
Old 02-14-2017, 07:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

In the states we can get the 999 and the club racer. Probably my favorite pad to date. Not horrible on the street but the car only sees street duty on the way to the track.

Ive heard of the hawk pads being harsh on rotors. Not sure about the 999's. The club racers are pretty rotor friendly.

Rotors are a cheap consumable here. Centric' are around $40 a piece. That's why most of us run them.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:32 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Centric blanks are most likely made in China........should be relatively inexpensive if available in Hong Kong.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BananaCo
Hi everyone, I am planning on hitting a track day in my AP1. My local shop has recommend me to go with Project Mu Racing 999 pads with DBA T3 discs. I'm wondering if anyone have experience using these pads and have any opinions on the combo? I also have a set of new Dixcel FS discs that I actually want to use for this track day but my shop is telling me that Racing 999 pads are too abrasive for the Dixcel core material and they won't last. I'm wondering what you guys think of this? My shop is pretty experienced for prepping track cars but I also would like a 2nd opinion from you guys.

FYI, I will be running A050's on the track.
What size tires are you running and what course are you planning on? I've quite a bit of time on the Project Mu 999, PMu CR, Dixcel RA/R01, etc. pads so I can probably help you out.

I can tell you now that the 999 are very different from the Club Racers. High carbon Dixcel rotors do not necessarily make a difference. More importantly, I would like to hear more on what rotors are available locally. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2017, 03:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Your 999s are overkill for an initial track pad, combining 999s with centric rotors are an even worse idea. Centric rotors are built like crap (all of their rotors, cryo treated or not). I would use factory honda brake rotors.

I don't know how good of a driver you are, but if it were me:
Good tires
Good alignment
Brake lines
high temp brake fluid (almost 600F brake fluid will suffice)

For a new driver, original honda brake pads and original honda brake rotors should be sufficient on day one at the track.

No point in having the best brake pads on earth if your tires are crap.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:33 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by takchi
What size tires are you running and what course are you planning on? I've quite a bit of time on the Project Mu 999, PMu CR, Dixcel RA/R01, etc. pads so I can probably help you out.

I can tell you now that the 999 are very different from the Club Racers. High carbon Dixcel rotors do not necessarily make a difference. More importantly, I would like to hear more on what rotors are available locally. Thanks!
Thanks guys for the responses. Im going to the GIC (Guangdong International Circuit) circuit for a 2 day track weekend. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guangd...tional_Circuit its an open lapping day with some informal time trials. I don't imagine my sessions to last longer than 15-20mins before I go in the pits to cool down before i head out again. The car I'm taking up is my MY2000 AP1 with simple bolt ons (intake/exh), 4.44 FD with a stock diff, BC BR coilovers (at 8k all around), some chassis bracing, stock sways, No aero (unless my ASM canards count) etc. I have SS brake lines with motul fluids. The Car will be driven to and from the track as-is (no trailers)

The shop is recommend me to order A050's (which I will, since street tires may not last the weekend. im' getting stock sizes in 215/245, unless you guys think I should otherwise), and the DBA T3 discs + Racing 999 pads, which I am currently debating.

Its the first time I've been to this circuit, and with this car, but I have experience on others circuits in China (ZIC in Zhuhai) on both bikes and cars, as well as trackdays in Canada. There is not a very formal sanctioning body for recreation racing/trackdays around here unfortunately.

The GIC is a 2.8km circuit with a decent length straight so the brakes are definitely stressed on T1.

In terms of parts availability around my neck of woods..they are alplenty. Dixcels seems to be the most common JDM replacement for Japanese cars. My shop deals in the DBA brand and they have used their parts extensively on tracks hence they gave me a strong recommendation on them. I've never heard of Centrics until now, but I suspect they are the garden variety non-OEM disc replacement brands. Pads wise I have access to everything, from PMU's to Ferodos and Endless pads.

My shop specializes in track alignments so that will definaetly get done before I head out.

So my dilemma is on the brakes setup. So given this, what do you gurus think?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by BananaCo; 02-15-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BananaCo
Thanks guys for the responses. Im going to the GIC (Guangdong International Circuit) circuit for a 2 day track weekend. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guangd...tional_Circuit its an open lapping day with some informal time trials. I don't imagine my sessions to last longer than 15-20mins before I go in the pits to cool down before i head out again. The car I'm taking up is my MY2000 AP1 with simple bolt ons (intake/exh), 4.44 FD with a stock diff, BC BR coilovers (at 8k all around), some chassis bracing, stock sways, No aero (unless my ASM canards count) etc. I have SS brake lines with motul fluids. The Car will be driven to and from the track as-is (no trailers)

The shop is recommend me to order A050's (which I will, since street tires may not last the weekend. im' getting stock sizes in 215/245, unless you guys think I should otherwise), and the DBA T3 discs + Racing 999 pads, which I am currently debating.

Its the first time I've been to this circuit, and with this car, but I have experience on others circuits in China (ZIC in Zhuhai) on both bikes and cars, as well as trackdays in Canada. There is not a very formal sanctioning body for recreation racing/trackdays around here unfortunately.

The GIC is a 2.8km circuit with a decent length straight so the brakes are definitely stressed on T1.

In terms of parts availability around my neck of woods..they are alplenty. Dixcels seems to be the most common JDM replacement for Japanese cars. My shop deals in the DBA brand and they have used their parts extensively on tracks hence they gave me a strong recommendation on them. I've never heard of Centrics until now, but I suspect they are the garden variety non-OEM disc replacement brands. Pads wise I have access to everything, from PMU's to Ferodos and Endless pads.

My shop specializes in track alignments so that will definaetly get done before I head out.

So my dilemma is on the brakes setup. So given this, what do you gurus think?

Thanks in advance!
Your setup will be sufficient with the A050 215/245 setup. The 999 provides excellent feedback and will teach you the proper braking points pretty quickly with a very short learning period. If you need more information on how to use in the future (in case you feel something not right), please don't hesitate to message me. I have a friend in HK who has a white TRD GT86 on Hankook TD and I helped him out with his brake setup so I'm not sure if you guys know each other (HK is a small place but a lot of people!).

Centric discs may possibly be only distributed in the North American markets. If you have access to Brembo blank rotor replacements, those are actually very good and hopefully not too expensive with the HK tariff. Otherwise, the DBA rotors are just fine. Your shop is a dealer for DBA so it is understandable they recommend that. Overall, the setup sounds satisfactory, but may provide a little too much initial bite with the slotted setup. The recommendation for you is to go with a blank rotor if possible. The limiting factor will be your 215 front tire. Despite having a A050, you may still overuse that front tire. Just monitor your usage and your braking will be very consistent.

I plan to do my annual visit to HK in June. Maybe we can meetup some day!

Last edited by takchi; 02-15-2017 at 11:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Discs for Project Mu Racing 999 pads for track days