S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

DIY: Splitter and Install

Old 08-20-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts
Default DIY: Splitter and Install

I made my own splitter recently and decided to share how I made it and how to install it. I don't have any pics of how I made it, but it's pretty self explanatory. I took a giant piece of cardboard and traced my front bumper. I then moved it 3" forward (this is what I wanted, you can use any size you prefer) and then traced the wheel well. I also extended the back a full 10" (goes past sway bar). I made it out of FRP so it was kind of pricey, but I am very happy with the end results. It is super strong and very lightweight. I decided to go with a thickness of 1/5".

Things you'll need to buy:
Defsport Splitter Brackets (I didn't buy the bottom brackets, which I will explain later)
Any splitter rods (I had APR ones laying around, but they are the same thing as the $20 ebay rods)
Zipties (I used these temporarily to mount the back of my splitter to my sway bar)

1. Take off the front bumper and fit the Defsport brackets. I decided to have them face the outside of the car to have as wide of reach as possible.

1b. Another view of the brackets installed. I have the bolts to the frame torqued down, but the slotted holes are just hand tight for now.

2. Took my splitter and laid it in the general area.

3. Snapped front bumper in place in order to position the splitter properly.

4. After the splitter was where I wanted it, I used my punch to mark each of the holes I wanted to drill. Only do two opposite holes, match drill the rest once the splitter is mounted.

5. I opted not to buy the Defsport bottom brackets because I'm cheap. So I just printed them solid on my 3D printer. If you don't use these, make sure to use giant fender washers. The ones supplied by Defsport and not big enough.

6. Picture of both brackets mounted.

7. Mount the splitter back on the Defsport brackets at the lowest point.

8. My bumper was 4" off the ground, so I cut 6 pieces of cardboard tube to that height, then placed them under my splitter to hold it at the correct height. At this point, I torqued everything down, so the splitter was on solid.

9. Now mount the front bumper fully. I drilled two holes into my bumper to install the rods. I wanted to take them directly to the frame, but they weren't long enough. For the time being they will be connected to the bumper, but I plan on getting longer rods.

10. Finished. I drilled two holes in the back extension piece and ziptied the back to the sway bar so it did not sag. Since then, I have made my own brackets that straddle the sway bar and keep the splitter from sagging. Most people won't need to worry about this since most splitters end at the bumper, but if anyone wants my models I will send them over.

10b. Finished

I hope this was helpful! If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Last edited by roel03; 08-20-2017 at 12:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Xene (08-22-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

wheres the picture of you standing on it?