S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Do Hoosiers Break Wheels?

Old 12-14-2018, 11:57 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

This is the only video where the person wore gloves:

This one explains what is happening. They spec removing excess dye with water. I never saw that before:

And this is from Magnaflux:

Old 12-15-2018, 05:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nondestructive_testing
Old 12-15-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
OK, but, do Hoosiers break wheels?
what does that have to do with you making up random crap about the wheels?
Old 12-15-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

lol hoosiers don't break wheels.... unless (enter your reasoning here). I hit apexes very hard with my rpf1s and go airborne. If that doesn't break the wheel, tires surly will not.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:37 AM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
lol hoosiers don't break wheels.... unless (enter your reasoning here). I hit apexes very hard with my rpf1s and go airborne. If that doesn't break the wheel, tires surly will not.
Ive been hearing wheels are a wear item since i started tracking ten years ago. Im interested to hear if increased traction levels significantly decrease the life of a wheel. I suspect it does. Im also interested to hear if catastrophic failure waits for me at the end of the wheels life or just some bending and runout. Valuable contribution to this thread sounds like. "I had a wheel break. I was caused by this and that"
Old 12-16-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
RPF1s go egg shaped before they crack
Old 12-16-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Impact can certainly break wheels, but the more common failure (by far, and more insidiously!) is fatigue failure. All aluminum wheels will fatigue and crack, eventually, regardless of the tire used. It's caused by the cyclical loading of the rim with respect to the hub (during cornering, the rim is getting bent towards the centerline of the car at the bottom, and then pushed back away when it rolls to the top, so every spoke gets a stress reversal with every rotation during cornering).

Aluminum has a finite fatigue life, so literally every wheel will eventually fatigue crack and fail. It comes down to numbers--a high end racing wheel running the hardest eco tires may have fatigue life in the thousands of years, and a poorly designed wheel on super soft competition tires may have a fatigue life of days or hours.

For ~~enthuuuusiasts~~ like us, the fatigue life of our wheels is essentially unknowable. If you run sticky tires, inspect for cracks more often, that's about all you can practically do.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:16 PM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by thepoi
If you run sticky tires, inspect for cracks more often, that's about all you can practically do.
^This.

I rotate after almost every track day, and inspect each time. I cracked a 949 17x10 gen 1 ulr.
-8 year old wheels.
-3rd owner
-past two owners tracked these wheels also

Cracked the inner lip of that passenger side front (spokes were fine).
I'm pretty sure it happened here entering cotton corners at BW cw13.

Start at 0:38 seconds.

Last edited by Bullwings; 12-16-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:57 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by warmmilk

what does that have to do with you making up random crap about the wheels?
So maybe I didn't think it through completely. Did I say this was fact? No. It was a random thought that you may have proved wrong.

I might have been wrong.

There, I said it. Are you done now?
Old 12-17-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
So maybe I didn't think it through completely. Did I say this was fact? No. It was a random thought that you may have proved wrong.

I was wrong.

There, I said it. Are you done now?
fixed

yes and thank you

Quick Reply: Do Hoosiers Break Wheels?