S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Endurance Race S2000

Old 11-06-2018, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

miamirice, yes the car is well built and driven. I've never driven it though as I can't fit in it.

Does anyone know what sort of fuel burn rate to expect out of an S2000? I'm thinking something like 8 gallons per hour at Sebring?
Old 11-26-2018, 01:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll try and answer as many of the questions as I can here. I may have missed some. My brother Paddy and I have been endurance racing our S2000 for five years. Many successes, many heartbreaks.

The car would go 50 minutes at VIR on the stock tank. We'd add about 11 gallons each stop, which means there was about 2 gallons sloshing in the tank that we couldn't pickup with the stock pump/pickup. That was on NT01 tires in COLD weather. We went to a 26 gallon cell for our next race.

These cars and engines are robust. We've had low mileage junkyard engines last over 100 race hours with just an AP2 retainer upgrade. We'll go through them at about 100 hours and check the heads/valve guides, replace the bearings and some cylinder head parts then put them back together. We'll do wheel bearings, hubs and studs around 50 race hours. We use an ACT HD pressure plate, Bosch Motorsport fuel injectors (factory kept clogging and failing, even with 2 or 3 filters), HardRace compliance bushings and Innovative engine and transmission mounts. The rest of the arms, bushings, drivetrain is stock. We use factory calipers, Centric blank rotors, Raybestos ST43 pads. The ST43's will last a full 24h race and still have life left. We mostly run RE71R's. They last between 7-12 hours depending on track and weather. We use a drybreak and IMSA fueling rig when the rules allow (SCCA will let us do anything!). Otherwise it's 5 or 8 gallon Hunsakers with 2.5" hoses. Front rotors, clutch fluid and engine oil gets changed Saturday night if its a double 8-9hr. Trans and diff is before each race. Brake fluid is annual. The only odd failures we've seen have been driveshafts. We've gone through 3 or 4 of them.

Go fast bits are limited to coilovers, front sway bar, wing and a splitter. Don't need much else to put down a good lap time with these cars. We use a LifeRacing ECU and the rest of the car is all Motec electronics - PDM15, V2, VIM, C185

I wouldn't want to run one of these engines without an oil cooler. We also run a trans cooler. We find the trans will start to get grindy when its really hot.

Our tentative schedule for next year:
WRL Road America in May
CER Mosport in July
Champcar VIR 24h in August
Champcar Thompson 12hr September
SCCA Devil in the Dark 12hr October

I'll also be running the car in COM Sports Car Clubs time trial series, either in T60 or SD and I'll probably bring it out to the S2k takeover again.

It would be great to see other S2000's out there next year!
Pete McParland
The following 6 users liked this post by eastcoastbumps:
Chibo (11-26-2018), DanielB (12-04-2018), HawkeyeGeoff (11-27-2018), Jimbo_STWOK (11-28-2018), s2000ellier (11-26-2018), thomsbrain (12-04-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-26-2018, 02:51 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps
We find the trans will start to get grindy when its really hot.
Pete McParland
How do you run the cooler, are you using an external pump to push fluid out to a front mount cooler?
Old 11-26-2018, 03:54 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm also interested in how you set up the trans cooler.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:46 PM

Pulls from the drain. The pump and cooler are mounted in the back with a check valve and then it returns through the fill plug. Pump and fans are triggered based on fluid temp.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:51 PM

A little blast from the past: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...-build-745239/

Funny looking back at what we thought we knew and what we were clueless about!
Old 11-27-2018, 03:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you find you are getting about 115 minute stint on the 26 gallon fuel cell? Do you guys run brake ducts?
Old 11-27-2018, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the Detailed post Peter!

Which Specific Bosch injectors do you use?
Old 11-27-2018, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by miamirice
Do you find you are getting about 115 minute stint on the 26 gallon fuel cell? Do you guys run brake ducts?
We get way more than that! 180 easy. It rained at The Devil one year and we went 3.5hrs before coming in for fuel and changing drivers. Mike Fries was in the car and I’m not sure he was happy!

There are a few other things that help our fuel economy. It improved when we swapped from a Vipec and the stock injectors to the LifeRacing ECU and the Bosch injectors. We now have onboard lambda which is a big help.

No, we don’t use brake ducts

Originally Posted by the5
Thanks for the Detailed post Peter!

Which Specific Bosch injectors do you use?
https://www.fiveomotorsport.com/ev14...uel-injectors/ They are OEM on the new Ford GT, per the part number on the body.

If you contact Five-O they will supply you with a plug and play connector, not a jumper harness. The car fired up and ran smoothly after we swapped injectors, but we still had it retuned to be safe. I think most of our injector problems were from something dissolving in the cell or the lines. I don’t see the factory injectors being an Achilles heel with a stock tank and lines. We had Marren look at the injectors and we also had a friend who looked at the debris under a microscope to try and get to the bottom of it. We couldn’t come to any conclusion. Marren suggested cleaning them before every race.
The following 2 users liked this post by eastcoastbumps:
Chibo (11-27-2018), thomsbrain (12-04-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps

We get way more than that! 180 easy. It rained at The Devil one year and we went 3.5hrs before coming in for fuel and changing drivers. Mike Fries was in the car and I’m not sure he was happy!

There are a few other things that help our fuel economy. It improved when we swapped from a Vipec and the stock injectors to the LifeRacing ECU and the Bosch injectors. We now have onboard lambda which is a big help.

No, we don’t use brake ducts

https://www.fiveomotorsport.com/ev14...uel-injectors/ They are OEM on the new Ford GT, per the part number on the body.

If you contact Five-O they will supply you with a plug and play connector, not a jumper harness. The car fired up and ran smoothly after we swapped injectors, but we still had it retuned to be safe. I think most of our injector problems were from something dissolving in the cell or the lines. I don’t see the factory injectors being an Achilles heel with a stock tank and lines. We had Marren look at the injectors and we also had a friend who looked at the debris under a microscope to try and get to the bottom of it. We couldn’t come to any conclusion. Marren suggested cleaning them before every race.
Im looking into the LifeECU as well, Im assuming you made a Jumper harness?
How do you like the ECU? Looking at Life, Motec, AEM

Quick Reply: Endurance Race S2000